Advertisement

Review Group Week 232 - TIME MASTERS: VANISHING POINT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 128 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:14 pm

starlord wrote:If a Tiny Titans or Billy Batson Magic of SHAZAM came out that week it would be perfect. I know he loved both of those.

Of course something Bendis may actually make him rise from the grave and give one more review. ;-)

I fucking miss that guy. :cry:

One more Bendis book and I may jump in there with him.

You knew him best of any of us of course, if there's an appropriate book that week you think he would've like I say we go with it.

Advertisement

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:14 pm

starlord wrote:If a Tiny Titans or Billy Batson Magic of SHAZAM came out that week it would be perfect. I know he loved both of those.

Of course something Bendis may actually make him rise from the grave and give one more review. ;-)

I fucking miss that guy. :cry:

Tiny Titans is scheduled for the 18th. If the schedule holds we can do it.

Actually we could double feature it with New Avengers since it's also due for that week.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Punchy wrote:Time Masters: Vanishing Point #1(of 6) - 'Passageway' - Jurgens & Rapmund

In the end, this comic is nothing really that special, it's not reinventing the wheel, but it is very enjoyable and well-told. It does what it says on the tin, it's an exploration of cool time-travel conceits, exciting mysteries, and all the odds and sods from DC you never expected to see, such as the last page appearance of Claw, a DC Conan rip-off. I know some reviewers here seem to have a problem with a superhero comic just being a superhero comic, but I see nothing wrong with that, Time Masters is an unassuming gem in DC's roster, I recommend it, and Booster Gold wholeheartedly.

I understand what you're saying. And I agree that superhero books can be just about cool moments, fun action, and a few surprises. They don't have to be deep or filled with crackling dialogue. But here's how I assess a book like this: It costs 3 bucks. It's part of a six-part series. The whole story, in other words, will cost 18 bucks to collect. It's connected to another miniseries, which is another six issues and priced even higher. So, is this money well spent? Or are there significantly better books out there for someone wanting to read an entertaining superhero story?

If this had been a one-part or two-part story, unconnected to some major event, I would have been more forgiving of this book. But 18 bucks for this story is too much money, in my opinion.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:47 pm

Worry not, I will be posting a review soon.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Short review this week, just don't have a ton of time to write up a lengthy review.

For fans of the Dan Jurgens' run of Booster Gold, fear not. Time Masters: Vanishing Point is here. Unlike the more humorous take on Booster in his title, Jurgens keeps the title character and his supporting cast serious and focused. Their quest is to find Bruce Wayne before he returns to the present and unleashes some sort of catastrophic doom on the timestream.

Although the plot and McGuffin come straight out of the Return of Bruce Wayne miniseries, it's only seems to tie into the story in the loosest sense. The villains, attitudes, and characters all come from Jurgens run on Booster Gold. So if you enjoyed Jurgens' run, you will enjoy this story. If you didn't then you won't like this tie-in.

Postby ****** » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Time Masters: Vanishing Point #1

Here's an idea, let's take a tedious subplot from an already almost incomprehensible event mini and stretch that subplot into a 6 issue mini and tie it into another ongoing series. Had I not read Sweet Tooth v1 and Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life immediately preceding this I think I just might have sworn of comics altogether. It's not just that I have a pre-existing bias against Booster Gold, it's that this pretty much gives the middle finger to anyone not reading his series. Sure I know the people on the cover, but that whole thing with imitation Quasar and Star Lady? I don't know what any of that shit was. All I knew was that I wanted it to be over. X-Men Forever was poetry compared to Time Masters. The art was fine, but honestly I didn't really even notice it that much.

Story: Shoot me now.
Art: Dan Jurgens will never top his Ben Reilly Sensation Spider-Man run.
Overall: 3

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 pm

John Snow wrote:Had I not read Sweet Tooth v1 and Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life immediately preceding this I think I just might have sworn of comics altogether.

Hush, now.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:54 pm

no review this week my car is busted and i will need $700 for that

Postby ****** » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Hush, now.

1006% for serious.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:22 am

Will type up a review later today.

Postby ****** » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:01 am

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:08 am

I can't for the life of me pick this up and read it. I have it but I have literally zero interest in it. That may change in the very near future but god dammit I don't want to read this so in that case I'll give it a 4 because it probably wasn't going to better than that anyway.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I can't for the life of me pick this up and read it. I have it but I have literally zero interest in it. That may change in the very near future but god dammit I don't want to read this so in that case I'll give it a 4 because it probably wasn't going to better than that anyway.

This applies to me, but with a score of 2, because I hate everything.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:01 pm

So, is Booster Gold still a monthly comic?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:So, is Booster Gold still a monthly comic?

Yep, Giffen and DeMatteis look over 3 issues ago. It's really good, the latest issue had some hilarious stuff with Mister Miracle and Big Barda.

Booster is also a main character in Generation Lost.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand