Advertisement

Review Group Week 232 - TIME MASTERS: VANISHING POINT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Punchy wrote:Yep, Giffen and DeMatteis look over 3 issues ago. It's really good, the latest issue had some hilarious stuff with Mister Miracle and Big Barda.

Booster is also a main character in Generation Lost.

I wish they would bring back Scott Free and Barda. That was such a badly-written piece-of-crap story. And it put Jim Starlin on my Never Again list with JMS and a scant few others. If they just wanted to flush the Kirby characters down the toilet they needn't have pretended it was in honor of his legacy.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I wish they would bring back Scott Free and Barda. That was such a badly-written piece-of-crap story. And it put Jim Starlin on my Never Again list with JMS and a scant few others. If they just wanted to flush the Kirby characters down the toilet they needn't have pretended it was in honor of his legacy.

That's the joy of Booster Gold, you can time-travel to a period when Mister Miracle, Barda and Ted Kord were all alive and have team-ups!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Punchy wrote:That's the joy of Booster Gold, you can time-travel to a period when Mister Miracle, Barda and Ted Kord were all alive and have team-ups!

That's the one thing I liked about the Booster Gold single issues I read, how they play with old continuity but don't actually fuck it up usually, in other words it doesn't matter if you only know the old continuity or the Booster Gold amendments, it's the same either way. They are fun, but cheapo-bin fun for me which enhances the value somehow. But I don't remember which writer was on it then--definitely not Giffen. I think there was a Starro issue or two, maybe something to do with Batgirl.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:24 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:That's the one thing I liked about the Booster Gold single issues I read, how they play with old continuity but don't actually fuck it up usually, in other words it doesn't matter if you only know the old continuity or the Booster Gold amendments, it's the same either way. They are fun, but cheapo-bin fun for me which enhances the value somehow. But I don't remember which writer was on it then--definitely not Giffen. I think there was a Starro issue or two, maybe something to do with Batgirl.

Rick Remender did a two-parter about Starro, and Chuck Dixon did a Batgirl story.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Punchy wrote:Rick Remender did a two-parter about Starro, and Chuck Dixon did a Batgirl story.

That sounds right. I think there were a few more but I can't remember offhand.

Even though I still wasn't a fan of Booster Gold necessarily he was well-written and less annoying than he used to be.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:57 pm

A late review of this here Time Masters book.

The reason that I dig DC over Marvel has a lot to do with ideas. DC is a Universe full of potential. It realizes that multiple stories can cause problems and as such has come up with ingenious ideas over the years to deal with them. The biggest of these is of course the multiverse. It doesn’t hurt that Batman is a mainstay and as such there is a pulpy feel to some of the stories. Throw in the occasional runs of Doc Savage, The Shadow and Spirit and well, it’s the universe that works more for me, forgetting reality and diving into its big concepts.

As such, I want to like this book. I really do. It is a tie-in to the big old Return of Bruce Wayne book that is mad and crazy. The first problem with this book is that it seems tangently related to that series. And that relationship would be a push even then. This is pure and simple a Booster Gold book. IT’s written by the guy that made the first year or so of Booster’s book awesome. It was Quantum Leap with my favorite Superhero characters as the people being helped. The issue that dealt with The Killing Joke was a bit of genius.

So, both Booster Gold and This book being about time travel (as is that Morrison book), it is important to keep things straight. Jurgens did an admirable job of that with Booster Gold. Here not so much. As much as Rip is concerned with maintaining the time line, it is clear that Jurgens is losing his grip on it. The book darts back and forth between different eras with no time or reason. There is talk about a Vanishing Point, but no explanation to what it is. Characters start chatting about the future and we don’t know what happened there yet. Then there is the confusing archivist guy. It’s all just a mess and there seems to be no reason to it. Problem is, I still like it. I like the interactions between the characters and I like the ideas presented. The real deal is that it just isn’t a good book and that is a shame.

Rapmund does a bang up job, it seems like an iconic DC super book and that is important. Too bad he wasn’t given a book with a little more direction behind it.

Story 2
Art 4
Total 6

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Dang, you got your review up before me because I've been dickety dog diggity dicking around in the Asylum, dog.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Dang, you got your review up before me because I've been dickety dog diggity dicking around in the Asylum, dog.

sorry. I didn't get it up sunday cause I watched Coal Miner's Duaghter and I didn't get it up last night because I fell asleep.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:sorry. I didn't get it up sunday cause I watched Coal Miner's Duaghter and I didn't get it up last night because I fell asleep.

That happened to me last night when I re-read it.

Did you see I had at least 2 threads about me today? Also half the board currently has me on ignore.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:That happened to me last night when I re-read it.

Did you see I had at least 2 threads about me today? Also half the board currently has me on ignore.

I was busy in hell all day... see walking dead cover thread and will get to repeat it tomorrow, evidently...

links please...

and why? stupid fuckers.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:06 pm

oh and I love the new avatar.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:08 pm

thefourthman wrote:I was busy in hell all day... see walking dead cover thread and will get to repeat it tomorrow, evidently...

links please...

and why? stupid fuckers.

Closemindedness. But you probably don't want to waste your time reading that stuff if you're that busy. Let's just say John Snow has good taste for the ladies.

The covers are a success, I'm sure.

Did you see comicseller248 sadly received no bids? He lowered the starting bid 50% to $250. :lol:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:09 pm

thefourthman wrote:oh and I love the new avatar.

Why thank you! That's the first time I've heard that all day! :-D

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Closemindedness. But you probably don't want to waste your time reading that stuff if you're that busy. Let's just say John Snow has good taste for the ladies.

The covers are a success, I'm sure.

Did you see comicseller248 sadly received no bids? He lowered the starting bid 50% to $250. :lol:

awesome.

The cover is a sucess, problem is when we got them today they were all fucked up... so I spent all day letting people know, answering the stupidest fucking questions ever (no lie I answered the same question from one buyer 8 times before he figured out that all 1000 were the same and I was the only person selling it), then just before the day ended, I got confirmation from Image that we will be getting the entire printing replaced, so now tomorrow I get to explain that we will get nice copies, but I probably don't know when and will have to jump through hoops for the people I actually processed today. My brain shut down about 5 pm this afternoon. Some one asked me for a recommendation about 7:15 and I cried.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 pm

thefourthman wrote:awesome.

The cover is a sucess, problem is when we got them today they were all fucked up... so I spent all day letting people know, answering the stupidest fucking questions ever (no lie I answered the same question from one buyer 8 times before he figured out that all 1000 were the same and I was the only person selling it), then just before the day ended, I got confirmation from Image that we will be getting the entire printing replaced, so now tomorrow I get to explain that we will get nice copies, but I probably don't know when and will have to jump through hoops for the people I actually processed today. My brain shut down about 5 pm this afternoon. Some one asked me for a recommendation about 7:15 and I cried.

I must've missed the thread on this. That sucks, but the replacement shipping is cool. Hope they turn out right. All that emailing and shipping and re-shipping takes so much time.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand