Advertisement

Review Group Week 233 - JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Hey you Scott Pilgrim people, I know you hang out in here.

How are the other non-Scott Pilgrim books by O'Malley? Does he even have other books? Is there anything in particular to seek out or avoid?

My wife has loved the first 4 volumes and 5 & 6 are coming any day now from Amazon, so I'm sure she'll love those. Now she's kind of interested in seeing what else the guy has done. I'd like to pick something up for her as a gift, but I don't know anything about his work and haven't been entertained by what I've tried to read of the books.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Lost at Sea just got a new printing from Oni. I have not read it yet, but it is in the pile.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:37 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Hey you Scott Pilgrim people, I know you hang out in here.

How are the other non-Scott Pilgrim books by O'Malley? Does he even have other books? Is there anything in particular to seek out or avoid?

My wife has loved the first 4 volumes and 5 & 6 are coming any day now from Amazon, so I'm sure she'll love those. Now she's kind of interested in seeing what else the guy has done. I'd like to pick something up for her as a gift, but I don't know anything about his work and haven't been entertained by what I've tried to read of the books.

Lost at Sea is the only thing he had done before Scott Pilgrim.

It doesn't have the same energy and it's a bit emo, but as long as you don't go into it expecting another SP it's a nice read.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Also, the fact that Review Group threads are considered a known hangout for Scott Pilgrim fans is my proudest achievement as Tyrant.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:54 pm

John Snow wrote:Lost at Sea is the only thing he had done before Scott Pilgrim.

It doesn't have the same energy and it's a bit emo, but as long as you don't go into it expecting another SP it's a nice read.

Cool, I'll see if I can find a copy since Fourthy said it's back in print.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm deducting one point from this week's book for my shop being out of Fear Agent.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:02 pm

John Snow wrote:Also, the fact that Review Group threads are considered a known hangout for Scott Pilgrim fans is my proudest achievement as Tyrant.

You should be proud.

Also, since I came in here I'll submit a quick review.

Justice League: Generation Lost #6 is a solid time travel story that shows some insight into Captain Atom, as well as a brief history of his origin and shows what the stakes are if Max isn't stopped. Works well as a jumping on point to the series, while also moving things.............. well maybe not forward but at least moved things along and added to the motivations. Probably the first issue that didn't move the story forward, but after 5 really good issues slowing things down a little bit isn't a problem at all. In fact, I'd be happy to see some more spotlights like this on specific characters if they are this well done.

The art was solid.

This book, for whatever reason, has a great balance of both Winnick's and Giffen's strengths, while not having too much of their weaknesses, as if they are bringing the best out of each other and limiting their negative tendencies. They make for a really good team so far, and if the next 20 issues can keep the quality of these first 6, I'd be happy to see them continue to collaborate on other books. Then again, I've never been a Winnick hater (although he's done some shitty books at times) and Giffen has always been a guy that's very good collaborating with others on writing duties.

Story : 7

Art : 7

Overall : 8 if you've been reading all along and a 7 this is your introduction to the story.

Thanks for the info on O'Malley.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:45 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Hey you Scott Pilgrim people, I know you hang out in here.

Lost At Sea is pretty damn great.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Jude Terror wrote::x What I said about this comic was correct!

JL: Generation Lost #6

It was much better than #5, especially without the Jakov Smirnoff baloney. Actually without a lot of the cast. I'm still not thrilled by how many DCU characters are bouncing through time at the moment, but there were a couple good Twilight Zone-style twists and Cap't Atom came across as more likable than he is often written--sometimes he is just a too powerful mega-douche. The family's easy acceptance and their proximity to Kara was all a little too convenient and I don't understand why he was pulled back when he was, but it served to move the story along and get Cap't Atom back to his own time without 2 miniseries and 36 one shots--RoBW I'm looking at you.

Art was above average for a DC book these days. +1

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Justice League: Generations Lost #6

Now this is what I call a great comic book and six issues into it, I can safely say it's still one of the top three D.C. books hitting the stand. I've never been the biggest fan of Captain Atom but in this one issue Judd Winick has made me not only appreciate him but actually care about this character.

A time travel story that starts off rather generically turns a complete one eighty right in the middle and shows the reader why Max Lord is as dangerous as he is. Some excellent art supports this story. The absolute surprise guest is perfectly placed and gives this tale a darker weight.

Thank you for this pick. If you haven't been reading this, there is still time. THIS is the series to be reading during Brightest Day. THIS is the D.C. comic that people are going to be talking about for the next couple of years. THIS is the event of the year. Read THIS!

Story: 8
Art: 9
My Score: 8.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:08 pm

starlord wrote:Thank you for this pick. If you haven't been reading this, there is still time. THIS is the series to be reading during Brightest Day. THIS is the D.C. comic that people are going to be talking about for the next couple of years. THIS is the event of the year. Read THIS!

Story: 8
Art: 9
My Score: 8.5

If more of DC was like this, I'd probably be following the DC events.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 am

Zero wrote:Picking up my comics is a maybe tomorrow, but even though this looks like the last book I'd ever read I feel like I should chip in. God I hope something good is out next week.

Image United #3!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Punchy wrote:Image United #3!

you shut your whore mouth.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Punchy wrote:Image United #3!

He said good! :evil: :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:06 pm