Advertisement

I can copy, but I can't draw HELP!

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

sinosleep
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post

I can copy, but I can't draw HELP!

Postby sinosleep » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 am

I'm not talking about tracing, I mean setting a cover next to me and drawing it, usually larger, myself. Anytime I try to draw something on my own though I get nothing. I've bought books, but I wind up just copying those as well and not actually learning anything. Anyone else have this problem? Or have had it and have gotten past it?

"sinosleep has the inner rage to thrive on this board, i can sense it" Chubbles

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 am

start doing random doodles, and then those will get better. Then you can try grafitti, and before you know it, you'll be an outlaw tagging trains in the yard.

sinosleep
crash test dummy

Postby sinosleep » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 am

My random doodles look like the work of a 3rd grader. They discourage me.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 am

Doodling random shiznit used to help me. And doing very quick, small sketches or people in the area.

Join our art group. :D http://theouthousers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47374
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:32 am

I have no idea that's pretty much what I do

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 207 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:47 pm

There's no substitute for practice. Sorry.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Herald wrote:There's no substitute for practice. Sorry.

that's why I beat off constantly

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:06 pm

If you're talking about superhero covers then understanding anatomy is key. And I'm not talking about understanding them from the same angle that you see Wolverine posed in on a cover etc. I'm talking about understanding it three dimensionally. You have to be able to rotate the image in your mind and understand how muscles connect to one another and where they go even when they disappear from view. This helps with depth, shading, proportions. Pretty much everything.
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

sinosleep
crash test dummy

Postby sinosleep » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Benderbrau wrote:If you're talking about superhero covers then understanding anatomy is key. And I'm not talking about understanding them from the same angle that you see Wolverine posed in on a cover etc. I'm talking about understanding it three dimensionally. You have to be able to rotate the image in your mind and understand how muscles connect to one another and where they go even when they disappear from view. This helps with depth, shading, proportions. Pretty much everything.

I understand that but my brain doesn't seem to take. I used to use one of those poseable (why is this setting off the spell check) 5 inch wooden looking dummies when I was in art class in high school but I would just copy the damned thing. I would still need reference material the get the muscles right. My proportion also seems to go to shit without reference material unless it's buildings and such which I seem to able to do on my own just fine. It's irritating as hell.
Last edited by sinosleep on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 pm

sinosleep wrote:I understand that but my brain doesn't seem to take. I used to use one of those poseable (why is this setting off the spell check) 5 inch dummies when I was in art class in high school but I would just copy the damned thing. I would still need reference material the get the muscles right. My proportion also seems to go to shit without reference material. It's irritating as hell.

Try changing up your style. Easier said than done, that I know. But that can help. Or using different tools. Draw with your opposite hand, etc.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:38 pm

sinosleep wrote:I understand that but my brain doesn't seem to take. I used to use one of those poseable (why is this setting off the spell check) 5 inch wooden looking dummies when I was in art class in high school but I would just copy the damned thing. I would still need reference material the get the muscles right. My proportion also seems to go to shit without reference material unless it's buildings and such which I seem to able to do on my own just fine. It's irritating as hell.

Meh. Needing reference material isn't a defeat.

Short story: I was taking a programming course in college and the exams were all closed book. I asked my professor why the exams were that way. He told me it was because we had to learn to not rely on the books. I asked him when was the last time he ever saw a software engineer who's desk wasn't covered in reference guides and manuals. The answer is: never.

Everyone leans on them from time to time. Even artists. Somewhere I have a book about Marvel comic's history and in it is a picture of Mark Texeira sitting at his desk drawing a page for an issue of Ghost Rider and his desk is littered in opened reference books and even other comics that he's clearly using a guide.

BTW: the wooden dummies suck. I have two. Never use them. They're anatomically inappropriate for most things except understand depth IMO. They do nothing to help with muscles, etc. For muscles you would need something akin to an action figure and even then that's only good for individual limbs. Neither option properly illustrates how muscles pull on each other at the joint.

The only good wooden mannequins are the ones for the hand IMO.

My best recommendation for guides to muscles are medical anatomy guides.
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Greg wrote:Try changing up your style. Easier said than done, that I know. But that can help. Or using different tools. Draw with your opposite hand, etc.

Draw with your opposite hand? :?

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Benderbrau wrote:Draw with your opposite hand? :?

Yeah. I draw/write with my right hand. I've found a lot of fun drawing with my left hand and helps me draw without worrying too much about it looking perfect. And sometimes it eases my mind to the point where when I finally switch back, I'm a lot more free with my pencil movements, etc.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 pm

Greg wrote:Yeah. I draw/write with my right hand. I've found a lot of fun drawing with my left hand and helps me draw without worrying too much about it looking perfect. And sometimes it eases my mind to the point where when I finally switch back, I'm a lot more free with my pencil movements, etc.

I can't even rub one out with my left hand. Let alone draw with it.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Benderbrau wrote:I can't even rub one out with my left hand. Let alone draw with it.

Well, when it comes to rubbing one out, I actually use my left. Right hand feels so boring for that act. :lol:

Will you be joining the art group thread? It'd be really kool.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Creator's Corner