Thursday, July 28, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "We put the "O" in OCD."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

I can copy, but I can't draw HELP!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

sinosleep

crash test dummy

Postby sinosleep » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 am

I'm not talking about tracing, I mean setting a cover next to me and drawing it, usually larger, myself. Anytime I try to draw something on my own though I get nothing. I've bought books, but I wind up just copying those as well and not actually learning anything. Anyone else have this problem? Or have had it and have gotten past it?

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 am

start doing random doodles, and then those will get better. Then you can try grafitti, and before you know it, you'll be an outlaw tagging trains in the yard.

sinosleep

crash test dummy

Postby sinosleep » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 am

My random doodles look like the work of a 3rd grader. They discourage me.

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 am

Doodling random shiznit used to help me. And doing very quick, small sketches or people in the area.

Join our art group. :D http://theouthousers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47374

eltopo

Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:32 am

I have no idea that's pretty much what I do

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:47 pm

There's no substitute for practice. Sorry.

eltopo

Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Herald wrote:There's no substitute for practice. Sorry.

that's why I beat off constantly

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:06 pm

If you're talking about superhero covers then understanding anatomy is key. And I'm not talking about understanding them from the same angle that you see Wolverine posed in on a cover etc. I'm talking about understanding it three dimensionally. You have to be able to rotate the image in your mind and understand how muscles connect to one another and where they go even when they disappear from view. This helps with depth, shading, proportions. Pretty much everything.

sinosleep

crash test dummy

Postby sinosleep » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Benderbrau wrote:If you're talking about superhero covers then understanding anatomy is key. And I'm not talking about understanding them from the same angle that you see Wolverine posed in on a cover etc. I'm talking about understanding it three dimensionally. You have to be able to rotate the image in your mind and understand how muscles connect to one another and where they go even when they disappear from view. This helps with depth, shading, proportions. Pretty much everything.

I understand that but my brain doesn't seem to take. I used to use one of those poseable (why is this setting off the spell check) 5 inch wooden looking dummies when I was in art class in high school but I would just copy the damned thing. I would still need reference material the get the muscles right. My proportion also seems to go to shit without reference material unless it's buildings and such which I seem to able to do on my own just fine. It's irritating as hell.

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 pm

sinosleep wrote:I understand that but my brain doesn't seem to take. I used to use one of those poseable (why is this setting off the spell check) 5 inch dummies when I was in art class in high school but I would just copy the damned thing. I would still need reference material the get the muscles right. My proportion also seems to go to shit without reference material. It's irritating as hell.

Try changing up your style. Easier said than done, that I know. But that can help. Or using different tools. Draw with your opposite hand, etc.

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:38 pm

sinosleep wrote:I understand that but my brain doesn't seem to take. I used to use one of those poseable (why is this setting off the spell check) 5 inch wooden looking dummies when I was in art class in high school but I would just copy the damned thing. I would still need reference material the get the muscles right. My proportion also seems to go to shit without reference material unless it's buildings and such which I seem to able to do on my own just fine. It's irritating as hell.

Meh. Needing reference material isn't a defeat.

Short story: I was taking a programming course in college and the exams were all closed book. I asked my professor why the exams were that way. He told me it was because we had to learn to not rely on the books. I asked him when was the last time he ever saw a software engineer who's desk wasn't covered in reference guides and manuals. The answer is: never.

Everyone leans on them from time to time. Even artists. Somewhere I have a book about Marvel comic's history and in it is a picture of Mark Texeira sitting at his desk drawing a page for an issue of Ghost Rider and his desk is littered in opened reference books and even other comics that he's clearly using a guide.

BTW: the wooden dummies suck. I have two. Never use them. They're anatomically inappropriate for most things except understand depth IMO. They do nothing to help with muscles, etc. For muscles you would need something akin to an action figure and even then that's only good for individual limbs. Neither option properly illustrates how muscles pull on each other at the joint.

The only good wooden mannequins are the ones for the hand IMO.

My best recommendation for guides to muscles are medical anatomy guides.

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Greg wrote:Try changing up your style. Easier said than done, that I know. But that can help. Or using different tools. Draw with your opposite hand, etc.

Draw with your opposite hand? :?

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Benderbrau wrote:Draw with your opposite hand? :?

Yeah. I draw/write with my right hand. I've found a lot of fun drawing with my left hand and helps me draw without worrying too much about it looking perfect. And sometimes it eases my mind to the point where when I finally switch back, I'm a lot more free with my pencil movements, etc.

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 pm

Greg wrote:Yeah. I draw/write with my right hand. I've found a lot of fun drawing with my left hand and helps me draw without worrying too much about it looking perfect. And sometimes it eases my mind to the point where when I finally switch back, I'm a lot more free with my pencil movements, etc.

I can't even rub one out with my left hand. Let alone draw with it.

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Benderbrau wrote:I can't even rub one out with my left hand. Let alone draw with it.

Well, when it comes to rubbing one out, I actually use my left. Right hand feels so boring for that act. :lol:

Will you be joining the art group thread? It'd be really kool.

leave a comment with facebook