Advertisement

Review Group Week 234 - BALTIMORE: THE PLAGUE SHIPS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:54 am

Eli Katz wrote:It's all Hab's fault. He accused us of engaging in petty, fanboy bitchfests, and now we're all too afraid to make posts.

I think honestly it's best to just ignore Hab--either figuratively or literally. And when it comes to bitching, have you actually read any of Hab's posts lately?! Bitchy posters complain about RG bitchiness like we're infringing on their trademarked schtick or something.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:57 am

You guys have all hit on its biggest weakness--if it's so similar to HB and BPRD, why not jusr buy those books instead? They've both been peppering the market with books lately, this book looks worse by comparison of how similar they all are.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I think honestly it's best to just ignore Hab--either figuratively or literally. And when it comes to bitching, have you actually read any of Hab's posts lately?! Bitchy posters complain about RG bitchiness like we're infringing on their trademarked schtick or something.

You guys are all Outhouse MVPs and you know it!

Usually, I don't post in the same threads as he does. So, fortunately, I haven't noticed.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:You guys have all hit on its biggest weakness--if it's so similar to HB and BPRD, why not jusr buy those books instead? They've both been peppering the market with books lately, this book looks worse by comparison of how similar they all are.

It was different enough for me. It doesn't have the epic feel of Hellboy or the ensemble cast of B.P.R.D. When I was reading it, it reminded me of Black Coat and Marquis as much as it did the other Mignola books.

Besides, Dark Horse publishing 2-3 books in this universe isn't anywhere near as boring or repetitive as the 80-100 virtually identical books that Marvel and DC pump out every month.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:38 pm

John Snow wrote:It was different enough for me. It doesn't have the epic feel of Hellboy or the ensemble cast of B.P.R.D. When I was reading it, it reminded me of Black Coat and Marquis as much as it did the other Mignola books.

Besides, Dark Horse publishing 2-3 books in this universe isn't anywhere near as boring or repetitive as the 80-100 virtually identical books that Marvel and DC pump out every month.

Who said it was? Why bothering bringing Marvel & DC into it, besides you know I buy virtually none of their books at the moment. The disappointing Hickman books were about it, I think, and they're dropped.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Who said it was?

I wasn't saying you said it, I just like calling Marvel and DC shit because they are.

Do you want the thread to be bitchy or not? :?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Dragavon needs to make his pick. :x

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:50 pm

John Snow wrote:I wasn't saying you said it, I just like calling Marvel and DC shit because they are.

I don't think I can go 30 pages on this one right now. Besides, we both had a lot of the same observations about this comic and our scores are less than 1 point different for Chrissake.

My point is that I like Hellboy or BPRD better, and even they get pretty samey sometimes with their paranormal plotlines. I felt the same way about the recent Abe Sapien 2 part comic.

I guess all the cashing in on the vampire fad weighs into it too--we aren't all as Twihard as you for vampires anymore! <--Bitchy!
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 pm

John Snow wrote:I wasn't saying you said it, I just like calling Marvel and DC shit because they are.

I like the bitchy tone.

But since you still read and defend SHIELD, I think your bitchiness lacks the discerning taste of my bitchiness.

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:08 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I don't think I can go 30 pages on this one right now.

My point is that I like Hellboy or BPRD better, and even they get pretty samey sometimes with their paranormal plotlines. I felt the same way about the recent Abe Sapien 2 part comic.

Samey doesn't bother me as long as it's good samey. Could be a benefit of trade waiting, I just started Hellboy in singles but B.P.R.D. I'm only getting new material once every 4-6 months so the risk of burnout for me is much lower than someone reading everything as it comes out.

I guess all the cashing in on the vampire fad weighs into it too--we aren't all as Twihard as you for vampires anymore! <--Bitchy!

Other than 1946/47, vampires haven't really played a big part in Hellboy/B.P.R.D.

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I like the bitchy tone.

But since you still read and defend SHIELD, I think your bitchiness lacks the discerning taste of my bitchiness.

You not liking SHIELD just indicates that the full extent of my bitchiness went over your head.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:10 pm

John Snow wrote:Other than 1946/47, vampires haven't really played a big part in Hellboy/B.P.R.D.

Again, I wasn't saying they do or don't, I'm saying on a broader cultural level vampires are overdone at the moment.

Besides, we both pointed out a lot of the same things about the comic and our scores are less than 1 point different--the lack of novelty in Lord Baltimore is one reason I didn't score it any higher.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:16 pm

John Snow wrote:You not liking SHIELD just indicates that the full extent of my bitchiness went over your head.

Keep drinking the Marvel Zombie Kool-Aid and indulging your repressed homosexual fantasies by reading superhero books.

/hipster douche'd

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:23 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Again, I wasn't saying they do or don't, I'm saying on a broader cultural level vampires are overdone at the moment.

Besides, we both pointed out a lot of the same things about the comic and our scores are less than 1 point different--the lack of novelty in Lord Baltimore is one reason I didn't score it any higher.

If I can't argue for the sake of arguing, I might as well go take a nap or something. :(

And it's not like it's vampires fault that the Twitards have mucked it all up. Twilame doesn't even have real vampires. :x

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Keep drinking the Marvel Zombie Kool-Aid and indulging your repressed homosexual fantasies by reading superhero books.

/hipster douche'd

My secret desire for cock has nothing to do with my childhood Marvel Zombiedom and everything to do with Jonathan Hickman.

/Snow'd

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand