Advertisement

Review Group Week 234 - BALTIMORE: THE PLAGUE SHIPS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:31 pm

John Snow wrote:If I can't argue for the sake of arguing, I might as well go take a nap or something. :(

And it's not like it's vampires fault that the Twitards have mucked it all up. Twilame doesn't even have real vampires. :x

Yeah, I know. We could argue about a different book prob'ly, but I just don't see a big disparity in our LB reviews and my comment on it being a bit same-ish to the other Dark Horse Mignola books wasn't a damning indictment or anything. But if I thought it was every bit as good as the other books (after reading one issue), it'd have a higher score and those similarities wouldn't feel like a disincentive to keep buying the series. Issue #2 could turn that around if it's truly up to the level of the other Mignola creations.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:32 pm

John Snow wrote:My secret desire for cock has nothing to do with my childhood Marvel Zombiedom and everything to do with Jonathan Hickman.

/Snow'd

Read issue #3 yet?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:37 pm

We suck at being bitchy.

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Read issue #3 yet?

I've only read the first two because of the Review Group. I'll read the rest two years from now when it comes out in trade. :(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:51 pm

John Snow wrote:I've only read the first two because of the Review Group. I'll read the rest two years from now when it comes out in trade. :(

I say nothing then.

Instead of trying to fight when we mostly agree this week, let's suggest what we'd like picked for next week instead.

I have to check, I haven't looked at the list yet.

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Yeah, I know. We could argue about a different book prob'ly, but I just don't see a big disparity in our LB reviews and my comment on it being a bit same-ish to the other Dark Horse Mignola books wasn't a damning indictment or anything. But if I thought it was every bit as good as the other books (after reading one issue), it'd have a higher score and those similarities wouldn't feel like a disincentive to keep buying the series. Issue #2 could turn that around if it's truly up to the level of the other Mignola creations.

I've been thinking about it and I don't know that the subsequent issues are going to be all that different. If they're going to do a flashback origin thing, wouldn't they have put some threads of that in this issue? I don't really see a benefit of starting out the series the way they did if they're going to go backwards. I would think they started where they did so that they could get to what they consider to be the good stuff faster. Maybe they're saving the origin for a later mini?

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I say nothing then.

Instead of trying to fight when we mostly agree this week, let's suggest what we'd like picked for next week instead.

I have to check, I haven't looked at the list yet.

People do like it when we spend a lot of time talking about what we could read next week. Those posts are like HGH for thread views.

I'd probably go with Morning Glories #1. The hype for it was just obnoxious enough to make me curious.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... disp=table

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:08 pm

John Snow wrote:I've been thinking about it and I don't know that the subsequent issues are going to be all that different. If they're going to do a flashback origin thing, wouldn't they have put some threads of that in this issue? I don't really see a benefit of starting out the series the way they did if they're going to go backwards. I would think they started where they did so that they could get to what they consider to be the good stuff faster. Maybe they're saving the origin for a later mini?

They don't have to go backwards, for all I know the material in the novel I haven't read that would have preceded this might be boring as fuck. But it wouldn't make sense if the issues to come don't inform the read more on Baltimore's history with Haigus, at least to some extent the origins of the plague, etc. The loss of at least a leg, and maybe more. You read a shit-ton of books, you know how extremely common jumping about in time in different scenes is, and that's just one way to provide the information to the reader. I wouldn't think even if a basic flashback is used it's thought of as "going backwards" to a story's detriment. But something's going to have to establish LB as more than just a Hellboy stand-in.

But if all you mean is it will be following more or less the outline of the novel, then yeah probably.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:09 pm

John Snow wrote:People do like it when we spend a lot of time talking about what we could read next week. Those posts are like HGH for thread views.

I'd probably go with Morning Glories #1. The hype for it was just obnoxious enough to make me curious.

I support this hipster douche choice.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:31 pm

John Snow wrote:People do like it when we spend a lot of time talking about what we could read next week. Those posts are like HGH for thread views.

I looked at that, I thought it looked pretty interesting but might not make it into my bag on Wednesday (without being picked).

I would pick Strange Science Fantasy #2, there's no overt continuity to #1 or anything. Of course, nobody will buy an IDW book.

...enter the iron-clad feudal space warrior: THE SHOGUNAUT! This issue, another special one-page back-up strip by Paul Pope!

Postby ****** » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:They don't have to go backwards, for all I know the material in the novel I haven't read that would have preceded this might be boring as fuck. But it wouldn't make sense if the issues to come don't inform the read more on Baltimore's history with Haigus, at least to some extent the origins of the plague, etc. The loss of at least a leg, and maybe more. You read a shit-ton of books, you know how extremely common jumping about in time in different scenes is, and that's just one way to provide the information to the reader. I wouldn't think even if a basic flashback is used it's thought of as "going backwards" to a story's detriment. But something's going to have to establish LB as more than just a Hellboy stand-in.

But if all you mean is it will be following more or less the outline of the novel, then yeah probably.

I don't know what they're doing. It just seem like if you're not going to tell the bolded parts in the beginning you should have something that motivates the reader to have the patience to get to that point beyond blind faith in Mignola which seems to be what this issue relies on.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:50 pm

John Snow wrote:I don't know what they're doing. It just seem like if you're not going to tell the bolded parts in the beginning you should have something that motivates the reader to have the patience to get to that point beyond blind faith in Mignola which seems to be what this issue relies on.

Yep. I'm guessing that since at the end of #1 he's clearly going to hook up with that women, eventually he will open up to her regarding his own past and origin of his mission to presumably kill Haigus to some degree. That's how I'd do it, considering the opacity of the first issue.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Of course, nobody will buy an IDW book.

I'm buying Mystery Society. :?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:05 pm

I'd buy Mystery Society if Ash Wood was on interiors.
SHIELD #3 was awesome, it was certainly the simplest issue so far, but that didn't detract from how damn good this book is.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Zero wrote:I'd buy Mystery Society if Ash Wood was on interiors.

Fiona Staples is a tight artist.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand