Advertisement

Review Group Week 235 - THOR: THE MIGHTY AVENGER #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:55 pm

I do like Wavves, but I'm not gonna go and 'love' half the album on Last.fm. :P
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Dashing King Impulse wrote:I do like Wavves, but I'm not gonna go and 'love' half the album on Last.fm. :P

:lol:

As if that's the first time I've done that.

KotB does have a lot of great songs though. :smt020

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:03 pm

John Snow wrote::lol:

As if that's the first time I've done that.

KotB does have a lot of great songs though. :smt020
I think it's their best album.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:I think it's their best album.

I like Wavvves a lot, but I'll take the more polished KotB too.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 pm

I would give that song a 5/10. They sound like a lot of other punk-pop California bands have for 2 decades now.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3

Loki tricked Thor into attacking his friends? No way!

Way. Again.

Marvel lays the groundwork for the future release of the Thor blockbuster movie by trying to get some kids and other ticket-buying units interested in the property now by giving comic book readers more Thor than ever before. Which is fine--except it's the same Norse sibling shenanigans we've read about a thousand times, and probably will pay to see on the big screen when the time comes.

The book's tone combines a Silver Age-y naivete with a touch of modern sensibility, and the artwork reminded me of that Thor "motion comic" cartoon from the '60s. I thought some of the panel compositions were interesting, and it was fun to see Chris Samnee's rendition of Silver Age Hank and Jan. Unfortunately the dynamics and conflicts in the book seem just as out of date. If this was aimed at the all ages market, kids should have smarter comics than this.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Thor - The Might Avenger

Postby Hermit_Sage » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm

This was a fun book, its your classic set up, Loki is up to no good which sets up a hero vs. hero fight. But this is an all ages book and this book is fun for all ages. The story was basic but it was fun, I like the Thor vs. Giant Man fight, and Pym is very likable and smart in the MA. A Marvel Adventures title is not going to get bogged down in continuity or overly complicated plots. Its going to give us an enjoyable read featuring some of our favorite characters and this one worked.

The art was decent and conveys the story. There isn't much worrying about the background detail,but for the audience intended it fits very well. I don't wanna say its cartoonish but a word close to that is what I am looking for, not that I am knocking it for that.

if only my son were old enough to read, I'd get him this title for him to enjoy the Mighty Thor.

Overall - 6.5

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Hermit_Sage » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3

Loki tricked Thor into attacking his friends? No way!

Way. Again.

Marvel lays the groundwork for the future release of the Thor blockbuster movie by trying to get some kids and other ticket-buying units interested in the property now by giving comic book readers more Thor than ever before. Which is fine--except it's the same Norse sibling shenanigans we've read about a thousand times, and probably will pay to see on the big screen when the time comes.

The book's tone combines a Silver Age-y naivete with a touch of modern sensibility, and the artwork reminded me of that Thor "motion comic" cartoon from the '60s. I thought some of the panel compositions were interesting, and it was fun to see Chris Samnee's rendition of Silver Age Hank and Jan. Unfortunately the dynamics and conflicts in the book seem just as out of date. If this was aimed at the all ages market, kids should have smarter comics than this.

didn't you first score this 5.25?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Sire wrote:didn't you first score this 5.25?

I think you must have imagined that.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Hermit_Sage » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I think you must have imagined that.

huh....maybe I did. maybe I did.............. :evil: :evil:

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 406 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Thor - The Mighty Avenger #3

As a guy who has had ZERO interest in Thor since pre-Dissassembled days, this book did nothing to reignite that flame.

In this issue, Thor and his baggage are just boring in my opinion, retreading pretty much everything from the original series (Daddy issues, Loki's plotting, Thor + Jane, etc). There might be someplace the writer is looking to take this but wherever that might be, nothing in this book made me care.

This being said - I LOVED THIS ISSUE! Not because of Thor but because of the guest star (who steals this book).

My man, Dr. Hank Pym, and his beautiful gal pal Janet Van Dyne, are the real stars within these pages. Set early in his career, he's just a scientist having fun with the 'toys' he's invented. While this leads him into the inevitable fight with Thor, it's great to see him hold his own (and earn a god's respect).

I'd buy a "Hank Pym - The Size-Changing Avenger" any day from this creative team, but I don't see me gettin another issue of "Thor - The Mighty Avenger".

Writing - 7
Art - 8
Total - 7.5

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 pm

I just finished reading THOR: THE MIGHTY AVENGER #3, and I'm not sure how to respond to this book. The story is standard. The art is competent. The dialogue is appropriately campy. And, of course, there is a fight scene in the second half of the issue to remind us that this is a Marvel superhero book. THOR #3 has, in other words, all the elements of a decent superhero comic.

So why do I have trouble evaluating this book? Well, on the one hand, THOR #3 has no glaring problems in it. No gaps in plot or characterization, no illogical twists. Writer Roger Langridge and artist Chris Samnee set out to tell a mostly lighthearted story about the origins of Thor and they accomplish just that.

But, on the other hand, this issue is boring. Very, very boring. One problem is that it’s a retelling of an overly familiar story with an overly familiar set of characters. Yes, there are differences between these characters and their 616 Marvel counterparts. But these small differences aren’t enough to make the comic seem fresh or interesting. Another problem is that even the fight scenes are humdrum and unremarkable. This has to do with the cartoony look of the book. When everyone has a goofy expression on his or her face, suspense is impossible.

THOR #3 lacks invention and risk. It doesn’t surprise or enchant readers. At best, it does an adequate job of filling twenty-two pages with colorful illustrations. So while there’s nothing exactly to criticize, there’s nothing really to praise, either. You can definitely skip THOR #3 or, for that matter, this whole series.

STORY: 5
ART: 5
OVERALL: 5
Last edited by Eli Katz on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Sire wrote:huh....maybe I did. maybe I did.............. :evil: :evil:

I couldn't stand it when I realized I'd scored the book higher than Eli Katz, so I built a time machine to go back to now--well, it's then now actually--and fix things.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm

I feel like just stealing Eli's review.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:I feel like just stealing Eli's review.

Do it, and just pretend that Loki tricked you into plagiarism.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand