Advertisement

Review Group Week 235 - THOR: THE MIGHTY AVENGER #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:01 am

John Snow wrote:Remember when you used to be entertaining? Yeah, me neither.

never claimed to be. I am a middle aged middle manager for a small retail store and a single dad. I am bald and fat and review comics for fun. I am possibly the most boring person on the planet.

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 am

isn't it hawks week next week? :?

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:50 am

doombug wrote:isn't it hawks week next week? :?

Obviously not.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:54 am

wait... what happens next week?

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:wait... what happens next week?

Next week would have been Old Man's pick so we'll either do something he would have liked or hated or both or something else.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Haven't read the book, but I do like the song!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3

I have no problem with making comics suitable for kids. Kids should have comics written for them. However just as I wouldn't expect a small child to enjoy Stray Bullets #14, it was never on the cards that I'd enjoy Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3. It's not Toy Story or Kung Fu Panda. There's nothing there for anyone outside the pre-teen demographic.

Story was bog standard and lacked any kind of depth or imagination, and Chris Samnee is wasted on titles like this and Frontline. The guy can really draw.

The comic might have been the greatest thing in the world if you're seven. I'm not, and my score reflects that.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:01 pm

Zero wrote:Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3

I have no problem with making comics suitable for kids. Kids should have comics written for them. However just as I wouldn't expect a small child to enjoy Stray Bullets #14, it was never on the cards that I'd enjoy Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3. It's not Toy Story or Kung Fu Panda. There's nothing there for anyone outside the pre-teen demographic.

Story was bog standard and lacked any kind of depth or imagination, and Chris Samnee is wasted on titles like this and Frontline. The guy can really draw.

The comic might have been the greatest thing in the world if you're seven. I'm not, and my score reflects that.

Honestly, I think most kids would find this boring. I know most of the kids who picked through my sale stock would have found this boring, especially the 10 year old kid buying Astro City: Dark Ages or the 12 year old girl who surprised me by talking about early Ditko Spider-Man comics.

This comic IMO thinks kids comics need: a) funny faces, and b) pointless fights. But that's all it thinks they need. This is as far removed from the great kids comics of the past, where there was humor on a lot of levels and for older readers too, as can be.

I had thought this was a comic written not for the all ages market, but perhaps for the violently mentally-ill to go along with their thorazine shots or whatever. There's nothing to evoke a thought of any kind--it's like the comic itself has been lobotomized.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 pm

John Snow wrote:Next week would have been Old Man's pick so we'll either do something he would have liked or hated or both or something else.

There's a couple Archie books out and a couple duck-related ones. I know he liked DC a lot too, there's the DC Legacies book or Brightest Day, I know he'd be reading that. Wish he hadn't gotten so upset and sort of left angrily about DC vs Marvel.

Brian, weigh in and let us know what you think would be most apt.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:05 pm

John Snow wrote:Obviously not.
It's Hawk's week every week, baby.

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:53 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:It's Hawk's week every week, baby.

I think we should all be very afraid of what August 25th might bring.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 pm

John Snow wrote:I think we should all be very afraid of what August 25th might bring.
I think I should look to see what Bestiality comics is selling that week...

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:15 pm

Sooooo, next week...

[center]Image[/center]
Good vs Evil!

DC vs. Marvel!

Baltazar vs. Bendis!

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that next week would have been Old Man's turn to pick. We could have picked one of his favorite books or we could have picked something to rant on since he always seemed to have fun with those, but why do just one when we can do both?!

Next week, everyone has the option to review both or review just one. The only rule is to have fun with it. 8)

[center]Image
Tiny Titans #31[/center]Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO
Art and cover by ART BALTAZAR

Join all the super-people for a super birthday party at the Fortress of Solitude! This issue is going to be super…unless you count the room full of Brainiacs! Let's hope the Brainiacs don't ruin the party. $2.99 US

[center]Image
New Avengers #3[/center]WRITER: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
PENCILS: STUART IMMONEN

Who is the true master of the mystic arts? Well, it ain't Doctor Strange and it ain't Doctor Voodoo. The bad news is he’s here and he is in charge. And he is gleefully ripping this dimension apart, piece by piece, in his search for relics of power. How are the legacies of Iron Fist, Doctor Strange and Wolverine connected? Find out here in this brand new eye-popper from Bendis and Immonen! Backup feature: Another brand new oral history of the Avengers chapter by Bendis! Rated A …$3.99
Last edited by ****** on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:20 pm

BlueStreak's Review: Recalibrated to Compensate for Other Reviews in this Thread

There comes a comic once a generation that redefines the medium. Without a doubt, that comic is Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3. Plot and art are merged together in a spectacular array of sequential panels, moving from left to right in resplendent harmony. Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3 is more than a comic, it's a bold concept meant to be emulated in real life. Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee should be awarded Presidential Medals of Honor for contributing something so pure and wonderful into the world. These are our generation's Picassos whose art has distributed to the masses in twenty two page pamphlets of sheer awesomeness.

Hang on to these copies for future generations. In fifty years, your copy of Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3 will be worshiped as the holy book of a new religion, a religion built upon the principles of hope, love, and Asgardian hobos.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:21 pm

what'd I miss? why isn't he picking?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand