Advertisement

Review Group Week 235 - THOR: THE MIGHTY AVENGER #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:09 pm

I'll be back with a review of New Avengers #3 next week.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 am

Punchy wrote:I'll be back with a review of New Avengers #3 next week.

Wait we're reading this next week? Jesus Christ. I'll be back next week to out Terror Jude Terror.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:59 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Wait we're reading this next week? Jesus Christ. I'll be back next week to out Terror Jude Terror.
And the week after that is going to be size=24]HELL!!![/size]

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:12 am

john lewis hawk wrote:And the week after that is going to be size=24]HELL!!![/size]

fail?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:18 am

guitarsmashley wrote:fail?
I blame Jude.

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:52 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Wait we're reading this next week? Jesus Christ. I'll be back next week to out Terror Jude Terror.

Read the OP. There's a point to it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:27 am

That or Tiny Titans.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:51 am

Or both, that's what I'll be doing.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:50 am

Punchy wrote:That or Tiny Titans.

ooooh I love Tiny Titans. Well then that will be nice.

- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 am

Thor the Mighty Avenger #3

I was less than underwhelemed when I read this so I gave it to my youngest son to see if it was just me. He actually did seem to enjoy it more than I did but he said it wasn't as good as Bone. So that's my review for this week.

It's okay but it ain't as good as Bone.

Story: 4
Art: 8
My Score: 6

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Zero wrote:Or both, that's what I'll be doing.
Me too and I'm going to shit on both books.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3

Take a trip back to one of the most pivotal times in comic books, where we get glimpse of the humble beginnings of Three Superheroes that would not just define an age, but inspire a generation.

Ant Man, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Wasp. 5 Individual heroes, One Iconic Name, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Avengers. The original members of a team that would become synonymous with the term Super Hero Team, a team that would offer camaraderie, fame, glory and even redemption for those who sought. From humble beginnings, it has become the highest level one could reach in the Marvel Universe, but one question remains for those who wish to ask it. What was life like for those 5 before that fated day? Well, my friends, you're about to get apart of that answer.

Thor: The Mighty Avenger is a series that focuses on the early days of Marvel's Thor, serving as a retelling of his first days on earth, after Odin banishes him to Earth so he can learn a lesson of humility. However, unlike the original stories, we quickly learn that Thor hasn't assumed his well-known mantle of Dr. Donald Blake, and that Jane Foster is the head of Security at a Museum, instead of being a Nurse. What this creates, is a dynamic in which Thor is placed in a world which he cannot make sense out of, which makes Jane Foster not only his companion, but his teacher, as he learns the ways of Midgard. A place which he struggles to find the beauty.

As for the issue itself, the scenario is not just Thor and Jane's alone, it also involves Hank Pym (Ant-Man) and Janet Van Dyne (Wasp), who are pulled into the story when Hank's mentor (Dr. Stephens) is murdered by an unknown assailant to Hank. From there, it's almost as bright as day that the four characters in focus will meet. All of the ingredients are there for a fun story, if not a totally epic one, which is what is delivered for the most part.

The writing in this book is definitely serviceable (in the best meaning of the word possible.), as Landgridge doesn't just write a decent Thor, Jane and Janet, but he also writes a very compelling Hank, who's life's path is shown through his interactions with Dr. Stephens. It is very easy to see why Hank gets emotional about as the book goes on, something that Janet brings a balance to, and makes sure that he sees the bigger picture before he lets emotions get to him. It's refreshing take on a relationship that deserves more love, and he doesn't do too badly with the Thor and Jane interactions, either, which are a little bit hamfisted,. but entertaining none the less.

There's not much to say about the art, as minimalism wins the day in this book. This isn't to say that art isn't good, because it definitely is, the characters are cleanly drawn, the backdrops are decently detailed as well, giving the book a little bit more of a retro-feel. Ivan Reis this is not, but it doesn't try to be, nor does it have to be. The style works for what is being represented.

Overall, there really isn't anything bad that could be said about this book. However, that doesn't mean this book stands above the crowd. Thor: The Mighty Avenger doesn't set out to be a Highwater Benchmark in the Super Hero Genre, and it seems like the creative team is okay with that. What we do get is a fun piece of entertainment, that any Thor fan should be proud of. It's always nice to see what unknowns can do with characters that we know and love, and the creative team definitely gave us an effort-filled take, even if it isn't lining up to win awards.

The Verdict

Art: *** (6 out of 10): If you're looking for potential poster bait, you're not going to find it here, but it doesn't mean that artist didn't make a good showing of themselves. Detail and Emotion still shine through even with minimalism winning the day here.

Story: **1/2 (5 out of 10): What can we say, it's another paint by the numbers Superhero misunderstanding, that forges a life long friendship. However, there enough compelling characterization that doesn't make it drab and dull.

Accessibility: ***1/2 (7 out of 10): Past Issues are referenced, but you don't need to read them to understand what is going on here. Something that can be easily given to the curious.

Final Breakdown (All three categories plus Intangibles): **3/4 Stars (5.75 out of 10)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:32 pm

since when is ant-man a jedi?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:41 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Me too and I'm going to shit on both books.

Just remember to read and review them first this time.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Thor The Mighty Avenger #3

This book has an infectious quality, something about Hobo Thor and his struggles on this earth, especially when Loki puts weird hexes on him, makes him like Sean Penn in I Am Sam or Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man. He's obviously not retarded, but he over reacts in many the same ways and his observations of this world are skewed just like he saw it through a different kind of mind's eye.

Of course, Hobo Thor with future girlfriend is nowhere near as interesting as Hobo Thor being hassled by guards and told he is smelly. What is interesting is that even though this is pretty much a kid's book, it is not talking down to the kids. Landgidge even almost doesn't make the connection of Hyde as the foe Ant-Man wants clear enough. If anything, the book is hindered by some muddy writing. It's fun, has a certain charm missing from most of the super-hero books on the stand.

The art helps. Samnee and Wilson are invoking Cooke through a Coover filter. It is gorgeous and stylized and simple. It reminds me of a scooby doo cartoon. There are some spotty places here and there and Samnee seems to be in a bit of a rush and his plainer faces can morph into inconsistency, but he makes up for it in sheer love for the medium.

This is a pretty fun little book that looks damn fine. It could even be perfect and was once when it was all about Hobo Thor.

Story 3
Art 4
Overall 7

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand