Advertisement

Review Group Week 236: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:41 am

I fear if Hawk doesn't pick a crime book next week, we may lose Eli to the Dark Side of the Force.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:29 am

John Snow wrote:I fear if Hawk doesn't pick a crime book next week, we may lose Eli to the Dark Side of the Force.

Hating Tiny Titans means he's already there!

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:30 am

Punchy wrote:Hating Tiny Titans means he's already there!

I have to think there's a chance!

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:30 am

Although... I do seem to recall I was one of the lone dissenting voices during the love fest for Tiny Titans #1.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:16 am

John Snow wrote:Although... I do seem to recall I was one of the lone dissenting voices during the love fest for Tiny Titans #1.

I don't think I was in for that.

Tiny Titans

Tiny Titans has a lot more DC in-jokes referencing the past couple decades of comics than any kid will ever catch, where last week's all-ages book seemed dumbed down too much, this week's all-ages book is really a comic for old men disguised as a kid's book. Although there is a level of humor in the book younger readers would relate to, it's about on par with your average Bazooka Joe offering. How many younger readers will recognize the various iterations of the Brainiac character over the years, or the Superman II references? Hell, not knowing who or what the heck Match was almost made the first story impenetrable to me as well.

It's definitely a book for a long-time DC fan to enjoy, and just maybe one his or her kids might like too. I would be surprised, though, if there weren't a lot more old men reading this than new readers. It's a bit bizarre that your typical mainstream Marvel or DC comic book seems to be what many kids are reading, while a book like Tiny Titans seems skewed toward an older market. I think DC and Baltazar have pitched this book to the "Dad & kid" market, something to have a multi-generational appeal but still make it on many adults' pull lists. I just don't think it succeeds on more than one level the way, say, an old Warner Bros cartoon or Roald Dahl story does or even some of the early comic strips. I don't think it would take long for a child of any age to outgrow this book, unless they are at least in their thirties.

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:27 am

lol, I called Tiny Titans #1 "a waste of 3 minutes".

Actually, that thread wasn't the lovefest I remembered. It didn't even score over 7.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:29 am

John Snow wrote:lol, I called Tiny Titans #1 "a waste of 3 minutes". :lol:

Actually, that thread wasn't the lovefest I remembered. It didn't even score over 7.

It has gotten a lot of high regard here though, because a year or so ago I grabbed a free #1 since so many people here had praised it. I think my review of this issue could go for #1 as well.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 am

my review is coming later but as much as I enjoy Tiny Titans, this one just didn't do it for me. Still, it read a helluva lot better than the Bendis crap.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 am

Yeah the Tiny Titans books being more aimed at adults than kids cracks me up.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:52 pm

John Snow wrote:I fear if Hawk doesn't pick a crime book next week, we may lose Eli to the Dark Side of the Force.

I don't like all crime comics. I just posted a negative review of Sweets.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I don't like all crime comics. I just posted a negative review of Sweets.

in my experience, the bad ones are still worth looking at, unlike a lot of the garbage the big two put out!
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:in my experience, the bad ones are still worth looking at, unlike a lot of the garbage the big two put out!

...which you also read.

I call bullshit, a lousy book's still a lousy book. Everyone and his brother is trying to cash in on the resurgence of interest in crime/noir comics, there's plenty of weeds to pull.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:in my experience, the bad ones are still worth looking at, unlike a lot of the garbage the big two put out!

Well, yeah. But that's because the big two put out a 1,000 books a month.
Last edited by Eli Katz on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:58 pm

hey speaking of crime books, look what i picked up this week:
DARK RAIN: A NEW ORLEANS STORY

Written by MAT JOHNSON • Art by SIMON GANE • Cover by NESSIM HIGSON

"DARK RAIN has the twists of The Treasure Of the Sierra Madre, the political punch of When The Levees Broke and the character interplay of The Defiant Ones." – Reginald Hudlin, writer of Black Panther, director of Boomerang

From Mat Johnson, writer of the acclaimed INCOGNEGRO, comes a graphic novel thriller set in the days after Hurricane Katrina. Two small-time ex-cons with big dreams get the idea that this would be the perfect time to rob a bank. Catch is, the bank is in New Orleans, and they're on parole in Houston. Now, as every sane person tries to get out of The Big Easy, Emmit and Dabny will do whatever it takes to get in.

As they journey through a tide of human suffering, Dabny wants to help, and Emmit sees only the money. But a rogue commander of the ruthless security force "Dark Rain" has his sights set on taking down the same bank. If Emmit and Dabny don't outrace him, their last hope for a second chance could be washed away in the floodwaters – along with their lives.

Vertigo
160pg.
B&W
Hardcover
$24.99
US
Mature Readers
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Looking at next week's comics on Midtown, I have a real fear that Hawk will pick the Rock N' Roll Comics issue of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts over the Jose Juan Ryp issue of Punisher Max.

I did however just watch The Runaways on Monday (not bad, not bad) and wouldn't mind reading about the adventures of Joan Jett after Cherie Currie left the band.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand