Advertisement

Review Group Week 235 - THOR: THE MIGHTY AVENGER #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I think a boat captain hat would be a good look for him, maybe a corncob pipe like Buddy Bradley too.

Someone needs to take the time to merge the Simpson's comic book guy and the sea captain.

Advertisement

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Thor: The Mighty Avenger Review

I haven't read issues one or two in this series so I don't really know the purpose of the book but nonetheless here is my review. It was ok. Really not much else to say other than i probably won't buy anymore issues of this series. Art was decent, story was a bit off being that there was a mix of comedy and some serious science stuff. I couldn't really get into it. I'm guessing this a re-telling of Thor's origin since he and pym don't know each other but is this book simply to hype up thor for his movie? Meh this was pretty forgettable, oh well.

Story 4
Art 4
Overall 4

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 352 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:54 pm

random issue isn't too bad.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:32 am

Thor the Mighty Avenger #3

With the flagship title Thor falling in quality as of late, Thor the mighty avenger by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee has slid slyly into the picture without anyone seeming to notice. Thor the Mighty Avenger is an ‘all ages’ approach to Thor, but they seem to do what most other all ages books can’t, pull off a decent story.

I think alot of people when they read this book will feel that it may be inconsequential, but could that be that it just doesn’t have that “you-need-to-read-this-to-get-the-rest-of-the-story-within-the-marvel-universe” feel to it. It’s a nice romantic comedy involving the god of thunder and his adventures on earth. It may not be the Thor we all know, but it’s one that I really enjoy.

Art 7.5
Story 7.75

God of thunder love 8)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 am

There are plenty of all ages books that pull of good stories. In fact, Bone is one of the greatest stories in all of comics. But Darkwing Duck is very good, the Marvel Oz stuff, Stuff of Legend, Mouse Guard, Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam, Amulet, Chimichanga, Usagi Yojimbo, etc.

I think we all too often confuse All Ages with kids. For me an all ages book fails if it forgets to have a story.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:34 pm

thefourthman wrote:There are plenty of all ages books that pull of good stories. In fact, Bone is one of the greatest stories in all of comics. But Darkwing Duck is very good, the Marvel Oz stuff, Stuff of Legend, Mouse Guard, Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam, Amulet, Chimichanga, Usagi Yojimbo, etc.

I think we all too often confuse All Ages with kids. For me an all ages book fails if it forgets to have a story.

In terms of all ages stories that come out currently all of these that you've listed are the best. However I tried getting into Billy Batson and it just didn't hold my interest, and I'm a little scared to try Darkwing Duck as I can't afford another book on my pull list. I wasn't saying there weren't good all ages books out there, I guess what I should have said was I was glad to see marvel putting one out there with one of their characters.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand