Advertisement

Review Group Week 236: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:50 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:it's by Wildstorm so it should be easier to find then most indie comics

Not really, most Wildstorm minis sell for shit especially the ones that lack name creators or established characters like this one.

Garrison hasn't charted in the Top 300 since the second issue so sales at this point are probably below 3,000 per issue.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:30 pm

I think individual issues of serial comics should be accessible to new readers and least some of the time, miniseries don't have any obligation to new readers in that respect.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I think individual issues of serial comics should be accessible to new readers and least some of the time, miniseries don't have any obligation to new readers in that respect.

yup.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:09 pm

thefourthman wrote:yup.

Not to say I won't try and find a copy to review or anything.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm

New Avengers was fine. Funny dialogue. Good twist ending no-one expected and nice art.

Easily the best book the review group has done in a long time. No wonder other books just aren't anywhere near it.

8 out of 10.

Give Bendis Secret Avengers, and lets make that book readable as well.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:57 pm

[quote="Jubilee"]New Avengers was fine. Funny dialogue. Good twist ending no-one expected and nice art.

Easily the best book the review group has done in a long time. No wonder other books just aren't anywhere near it.

8 out of 10.

[img]Give%20Bendis%20Secret%20Avengers,%20and%20lets%20make%20that%20book%20readable%20as%20well.[/[/img]quote]

I just got a ghostly visit from Old Man. He said it's alright to tell us about the closed head injury. It would help us understand a lot of these comments.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:17 am

starlord wrote:
Jubilee wrote:New Avengers was fine. Funny dialogue. Good twist ending no-one expected and nice art.

8 out of 10.

[img]Give%20Bendis%20Secret%20Avengers,%20and%20lets%20make%20that%20book%20readable%20as%20well.[/[/img]quote]

I just got a ghostly visit from Old Man. He said it's alright to tell us about the closed head injury. It would help us understand a lot of these comments.

Did he also tell you to put needless img tags everywhere, ruining the sanctity of my posts?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:08 am

New Avengers #3

I'm going with a 4.

Hopefully, before this storyline is over it will be settled once and for all who is the most magic--white guys, black guys, or old Asian men.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 am

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/7857/228/

My amateurish Garrison #1 review.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:15 am

Jubilee wrote:Did he also tell you to put needless img tags everywhere, ruining the sanctity of my posts?

No, he told me I'm just a big a moron as you now. :oops:

;-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:37 am

Jude Hussein Terror wrote:http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/7857/228/

My amateurish Garrison #1 review.

That's a good review. You need to write more of them.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Tiny Titans #31

I've read few of the issues in the past and they were enjoyable. This wasn't exactly tolerable, but I could see a child liking it, so it passes in that sense. I smirked a few times but it definitely wasn't what I expected. The snow cone joke or whatever was pretty funny, but the monkey part at the end didn't do it for me.

As for the art, it's cartoonish like it should be. Meh. I like it

Story- 4
Art- 7
Overall- 5.5

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:24 pm

(Note: Before I begin this review, I have to say that I did Thor: The Mighty Avenger wrong. It should not have scored lower than Baltimore: The Plague Ships, and therefore I up it's score by ¾*, to give it a score of ***1/2. Even with it being just a fun comic, it's still well done, and more comics should be that satisfying to read)

Now, on with the Review(s)

New Avengers #3

What happens when the best plans go awry? What happens when the Dream Team doesn't deliver? What happens when something you thought was going to be awesome, goes wrong in the spot that matters most?

After reading New Avengers #3 for the second time, I've been asking myself those 3 questions as I put my thoughts to print. When this team roster for this book was being announced, I decided to put my cynicism for Bendis away, and give Issue 1 at least a read. My initial read of said issue was favorable, as it seemed like (at first glance), that Bendis was trying to get better.

Then I read Avengers #2, and I began to realize that Bendis doesn't really have any incentive to get better. Despite the mangling of continuity (How do you not cross check with Matt Fraction to see what's going in Invincible Iron Man?), and the non-distinctive voices of his characters, his Super Hero books sell in the Top 25 automatically. Why mess with a “good formula” that wins at the box office? What does this have to with New Avengers #3, well lets just say that bottom fell out during this issue.

In this reviewers opinion, this book possesses two major problems, with the first one being dialogue. And no, the big issue is not with Ms. Marvel saying “dude”, that would've been a funny deviation if the dialogue didn't come off as redundant, wooden and forced. I'm sorry, but if banter between Spider-Man and The Thing doesn't at least produce a smile, then you need to go back to the drawing board.

The second major problem I see with this book is the overall story, which is bogged down by the fact that not only is the writer not really suited for a story involving Magic (which needs a rule set), but the fact that this makes the umpteenth time that the New Avengers are involved with Magic. For the past 3 years, The New Avengers have been involved with the long term 'Sorcerer Supreme' storyline, which has involved characters that Bendis seemingly doesn't have any idea how to handle. Even Doctor Voodoo, who he spent 4 months putting over in 2009 comes off an ineffectual cry baby. Not every character can be at their best in every storyline, but there should at least be an effort to write them respectfully. I just hope he can give a good explanation as to why 'The Ancient One' is seemingly the one behind all of this.

With all of that said, this doesn't mean the there wasn't some good with this issue. The Art is some of the best in Comic Books today as Stuart Immonen drawings are a dream come true, and helps you to forget that the story and dialogue are not really up to snuff. Not only to mention that Victoria Hand has the be the best liaison of the 3 main combat teams, due to the contrast that she presents against the team she's helping to coordinate. However, those two things aren't enough in this reviewer's opinion to make this book worth it. If only Bendis would deliver like he did with New Avengers #50 and The Finale Special.

The Verdict

Story *1/2 (3 out of 10): What does bad dialogue, redundant story and an overall poorly written cast equal: It equals that score, for this aspect of the comic book

Art ****1/2 (9 out of 10): Wow is this book is damn pretty. However, it's not pretty enough to save this book once you begin to ask simple questions about what's being written.

Accessibility **3/4 (5.5 out of 10): Almost nobody here is written in a way that could be accepted as a good characterization, it's a shame that this is the main picture most readers are getting of this characters. It also doesn't help that the story falls apart when you begin to ask questions and reference past material

Final Breakdown (All three categories plus Intangibles): ** (4 out of 10)

Tiny Titans #31

There is no such thing as 100%, and even the “best of the best” have days when very little goes right. Does Tiny Titans #31 sadly fall in that category?

I've heard a lot of good things about Tiny Titans, and whenever I decide to look at in the LCS, it doesn't fail to bring a smile to my face. Not only to mention that 9 times out of 10, people have said this is THE BOOK for kids. Hell, it even won an Eisner in that category. With such positive press behind it, I thought this would at least be another winner for the kiddies. However, after reading it, it felt like I had just watched a bad episode of what's supposed to be an awesome TV Series, except in comic book form.

Since it's established that Tiny Titans is meant for kids, this means that almost everything written should be written in such a way that very little goes over a child's head. Well, this issue has a few moments where kids are totally left out of loop, especially in the first story where we see Bizzaro Super Boy (Match) having to choose between a Superman and Luthor T-Shirt. Something that could go over easily goes over a Child's head. When you take this, and add two other stories that are not really that entertaining (with the final story totally missing the mark), you have a book that just falls flat, even with the nice art.

There really isn't anything else to say about this book. Much like this book didn't really have anything special about it. There's only so many in jokes you can put in a comic book aimed for an audience that might not get any of them.

Story ** (4 out of 10): With the first story being serviceable, the second story being boringly average, and the third story coasting on the beach of terrible, I can't possibly give this any higher.

Art **** (8 out of 10): Vibrant Colors, well expressed characters, and just a fun atmosphere make the art a Winner in spades.

Accessibility **1/2 (5 out of 10): The in jokes don't really help the situation, and the book itself falls really flat. Most kids will be happy with a new issue, but I'll be surprise if this is a favorite.

Final Breakdown (All three categories plus Intangibles): ** (4 out of 10)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Tiny Titans #31

Come on... Been there Done That!

Psimon is a snow cone!

The Braniac Club!

Aw Yeah Kryptonian Technology!

How could you not like this comic? It is clearly the best comic since Wathcmen; then to top it all off - it has Art Baltazar art!?

Aw YEAH!

Score: Eleventy Million (It would have been twelvety million but the crappy monkey story brought it down to tenity million, but then the awesome maze reestablished it to eleventy million!)

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:Tiny Titans #31

Come on... Been there Done That!

Psimon is a snow cone!

The Braniac Club!

Aw Yeah Kryptonian Technology!

How could you not like this comic? It is clearly the best comic since Wathcmen; then to top it all off - it has Art Baltazar art!?

Aw YEAH!

Score: Eleventy Million (It would have been twelvety million but the crappy monkey story brought it down to tenity million, but then the awesome maze reestablished it to eleventy million!)

Your review is as serious as an Internet argument. In other words, very seriuz.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand