Advertisement

Skaar, Son of Hulk #2 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 357 posts

Skaar, Son of Hulk #2 Review

Postby LOLtron » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:38 am

The Smartest Man in the Outhouse takes a look at Skaar, Son of Hulk #2!

by Eli Katz

Writer: Greg Pak
Artist: Ron Garney

I'm dropping this book. After just two issues, I'm dropping it for good, and I'm never reading another Skaar-related story again.

Why? Because Skaar, the son of Hulk, is an incredibly retarded version of Conan — and when I say retarded, I mean drool-hanging-from-the-lower-lip retarded. He's too stupid, too savage, and too boring to be the title character of a comic book. He isn't likable. He isn't tragic. He isn't surrounded by interesting characters. He doesn't have a secret identity. He doesn't really have any motivations. His only emotion is anger. He never really says anything except a few burps and grunts. Basically, he's like the liquid-metal version of the Terminator: an unstoppable, rapidly-healing killing force that just keeps going no matter how many times he's stabbed, torched, or dropped from the sky.

The story, so far, has a bunch of goonish Axemen hunting down the son of Hulk because, well, he's destined to kick ass, and these Axemen figure their best shot at killin' him is when he's still young and weak. Wrong. Skaar is badass from conception, and he rips apart fire-breathing dragons as if they were a basket of Buffalo wings. Hence, we've had two issues of bodies hacked apart, in all sorts of disgusting ways, by characters we don't know and don't care about. This is mindless action, par excellence.

Sure, Ron Garney's art is as stunning as ever, and maybe the book is worth three bucks just to see Garney — who, in my opinion, is this generation's John Buscema — depict gorgeous battle scenes. But the story is so lacking at this point, it's hard to get excited about 22 pages of beautifully drawn dragons. I'm stunned that Greg Pak is writing — I'd like to say a crappy story, but there isn't enough story here to call it "crappy." Seriously, it's mind boggling that, after his thoughtful and wonderfully tragic Planet Hulk, Pak follows up with what is turning out to be the stupidest book Marvel is currently publishing.

That's harsh, I know. But I'm only being harsh because I'm so terribly disappointed. I had hoped that Skaar, in the hands of Pak and Garney, would lead to the creation of one of Marvel's most intriguing heroes. But instead, Pak has produced a character who makes D-list super villains seem interesting.

Skaar sucks. And if I were stupid enough to keep buying this book, I'd be cheering for the Axemen to cut the bastard into little pieces.
STORY: 1/10
ART: 8.5/10
Posted originally: 2008-08-01 12:38:52

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/2582-skaar-son-of-hulk-2-review.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand