Advertisement

10/01/08 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials - Le Spoils!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 244 posts

10/01/08 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials - Le Spoils!

Postby LOLtron » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:13 am

Based on my lunchtime reading, this appears to be a week chock-full of fairly obvious "surprise" revelations, but that didn't make the meal any less tasty! On to the reviews! Appetizer: Image
Trinity #18 -- a nice issue setting up the DCU's status quo in the wake of the Dark Trinity's victory; the JSA is now all inclusive and calls itself the JSI, the founders are retired, Green Lanterns are totally interstellar and require specific orders/permission to operate on Earth, Dick Grayson's a member of the Zucco mob (BOO!), Wally is basically Booster Flash, Donna Troy is a regular Jane, Supergirl is called Interceptor and has never heard of Krypton, etc., and Firestorm returns from the antimatter U to find big changes from when he left; in the backup, we see what Gotham would be like without a Batman, in a very nicely done bit by Nicieza, tapping into some seriously old minor continuity; art was great by Bagley & McDaniel, and the setup of the new Earth was fun; Fairly Obvious Revelation: without Clark Kent around, Lois Lane is a ratings-whore and an uber-bitch...color me shocked; really liked it.

Entree:
ImageBatman #680 -- well, the writing on the wall is fairly obvious as to Bruce's ultimate fate, as there's NO WAY he has a secret ID after this arc unless some serious mindwipes take place; Dr. Hurt discusses the Club of Villains' "game"; the Commish is saved in Wayne Manor by Talia, Damian, and the LoA; Robin's AWOL; Nightwing's still on the operating table at Arkham, Bats learns that imagination IS the 5th Dimenion, as Bat-Mite fades away; Bats faces the Joker (and figures out most of the clues Joker left him in DCU #0) while Jezebel faces certain death; and the Batman of Zur-en-Arrh gives way to the real Batman just as he faces his greatest loss; Daniel's art is still pretty, but his storytelling needs LOTS of work (granted, a lot of that is probably due to Grant's plotting, but still...); Fairly Obvious Revelation: the REAL Black Glove is not Dr. Hurt, but actually...well, without giving it entirely away, you know how if you name a baby Jeeves, they pretty much HAVE to grow up to become a butler or chauffeur? pretty much the same deal here...; has its problems, yet I'm still LOVING it.

Dessert: Image
Nightwing #149 -- just about as WTF as Batman, as the R.I.P. "huh?" feeling becomes contagious; Dick fights pretty much the entirety of Batman's Rogues (sort of...all but 1 of them are ordinary goons but Dick "sees" them as Joker, Penguin, etc due to the fear toxin he was dosed with last issue), gets blasted out of the building in a scene I didn't quite get, and overcomes the fear toxin as he falls, only to discover he's ultimately failed, as the real villain has fulfilled his contract and killed Harvey's lady DA friend; Fairly Obvious Revelation: the villain in question is of course Two-Face himself, whose bad side took the hit contract and whose Harvey side enlisted Dick to stop him; kudos to Tomasi for really showing us how crazy Harv is, kudos to Kramer for a gorgeous issue, and while I was disappointed they had Dick fail, I can't wait to see the big showdown with Two-Face next issue; LOVED it.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand