Advertisement

Ignored Independents - Poe

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

Ignored Independents - Poe

Postby LOLtron » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:24 am

Poe, Volume 1Written and Illustrated by Jason AsalaDogstar Press, 1998Alcohol, angels, witches, crazy people, secret societies, magic, demons, death – all in one story.Poe was the first independent comic I ever read, back in 1997. I saw the first issue on the comic rack, and having just read “The Cask of Amontillado” in my Language [...]
ImagePoe, Volume 1
Written and Illustrated by Jason Asala
Dogstar Press, 1998

Alcohol, angels, witches, crazy people, secret societies, magic, demons, death – all in one story.

Poe was the first independent comic I ever read, back in 1997. I saw the first issue on the comic rack, and having just read “The Cask of Amontillado” in my Language Arts the year before and being totally hooked on the literary great. In 2000, when I went to university, I learned that I had picked up the first issue of the ongoing series, and that there was a 6-issue mini-series that preceded it. I ordered it, and was enthralled. I was happy to find more Poe from Jason Asala, as the ongoing ceased with issue #25. Poe is lamenting the loss of his love, Lenore. He’s half in the bottle and the angel Israfel appears to him and offers him the chance to have Lenore back in his life. Poe embarks on a quest to defeat twelve earthly demons. He picks up a black cat named Pluto along the way, a doctor, and a monk. Together, they set out to conquer the twelve demons in a most haphazard way.

Asala clearly has a great grasp on all things Poe. He weaves trivia about the author himself to allusions and characters from his stories into a larger narrative that, hopefully, is not to end us Poe’s real life did – lying delirious in a gutter in Baltimore. Asala’s art contributes incredibly to the book – and his term for it, Gray-o-vision is apparent and unique among artists in the medium. The shadowing and use of artistic allusions is masterful – such as Edgar peering through a hole in a brick wall at one point in the mini-series.

I never did read past issue 3 of the ongoing, but I’m going to track the 25 issues of the ongoing down and spend a day catching up. It ranks in my top 10 series of all time, and is probably my favorite independent ongoing ever. Copies of the mini-series trade are still around, such as at Amazon.com (but ask your LCS first!).

To discuss.

Posted originally: 2007-04-06 11:24:47

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand