Advertisement

Review for The Avengers: The Initiative #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Review for The Avengers: The Initiative #1

Postby LOLtron » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:59 pm

Title: The Avengers: The Initiative #1Writer: Dan SlottPenciler: Stefano CaselliPublisher: MarvelReviewed by John Lewis and Tony MourlotJohn Lewis: SPOILERS for the way you touch yourself late at night!!! In this issue, Henry Gyrich, the Gauntlet, War Machine, Justice, and some German dude run a boot camp for superheroes and their star pupil, MVP, dies on [...]
Title: The Avengers: The Initiative #1
Writer: Dan Slott
Penciler: Stefano Caselli
Publisher: Marvel
Reviewed by John Lewis and Tony Mourlot

John Lewis: S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S for the way you touch yourself late at night!!! In this issue, Henry Gyrich, the Gauntlet, War Machine, Justice, and some German dude run a boot camp for superheroes and their star pupil, MVP, dies on the first day!! Woooooo!!!!

Up until the end, I was really enjoying the book however how they dealt with MVP’s death pissed me off a bit but also delighted the sadist in me. Also, I think Trauma’s going to be trouble- big time.

Tony Mourlot: I thought the issue was okay. It was a solid introduction issue. Slott did a good job of introducing the characters and giving a little background on them. I didn’t find any of the characters that interesting however. The only one who grabbed my attention was Trauma. The dialogue was good and I enjoyed seeing Rhodey. I’m just not too keen on what seems like a replacement for Young Avengers. I’m curious to see how Slott works the title. Will it be the same team or will the teams rotate with each arc? Rotating teams with each arc could be a great idea. What did you think of the art?

John Lewis: The art was pretty good. Some times I felt like it was too cartoonish but for the most part it worked.

Tony Mourlot: I thought the art was solid. Nothing really spectacular. The characters all looked good and the action scenes were good. It did look a little cartoony in parts but it worked. Anything else you want to add?

John Lewis:Yeah, my theory is that Trauma is there because he’s a villain-in-training.

Tony Mourlot:I think you’re right about that. It’s probably why I found him to be the most interesting character there. I was surprised they killed MVP so quickly though.

John Lewis: I knew right from the previews that MVP wasn’t going to last but definitely not by being killed by another student. Some learning experience…

Tony Mourlot: I didn’t read the preview. Maybe MVP shouldn’t have been flirting with Cloud-9.

John Lewis: Damn chicks… Always getting us guys killed by other super-powered chicks…

Tony Mourlot: Never trust a chick with superpowers.

John Lewis: Especially if her powers are to shrink things. That’s one trip to Vegas I rather not live again. *shudders*

Tony Mourlot: What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

John Lewis: It better.

Go here to discuss.

Posted originally: 2007-04-08 02:59:55

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand