Advertisement

Nightwing #146 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 320 posts

Nightwing #146 Review

Postby LOLtron » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:13 am

By: Brian BurchetteWriter: Peter J. TomasiArtists: Don KramerThe conclusion to Tomasi’s first arc opens with an underwater Nightwing as he makes his way to The Hammer Armory in search of Creighton. Meanwhile Talia is already there, demanding to know if Dr. Kendall has created her legion yet to protect her and her son from Talia’s [...]
By: Brian BurchetteImage
Writer: Peter J. Tomasi
Artists: Don Kramer

The conclusion to Tomasi’s first arc opens with an underwater Nightwing as he makes his way to The Hammer Armory in search of Creighton. Meanwhile Talia is already there, demanding to know if Dr. Kendall has created her legion yet to protect her and her son from Talia’s father. When she finds out what lengths Kendall has gone to for her super-army, she is repulsed and orders the operation to be shut down – Dr. Kendall has other plans, however.

Enter Nightwing, who grudgingly saves Talia before discovering that Creighton has taken the only baby to survive the rapid aging process, and plans to whisk it away. The showdown commences and suffice to say that Creighton is defeated, the baby is returned to The Mother of Champions, and Nightwing pays a trip to his other mentor, Superman, for a discussion on exactly what has transpired and how it will change the way their dead heroes are treated.
Comments:

Now this is the way a good comic should be written! It’s about bloody time that somebody pulled Nightwing out of the creative slump it had been in for the last few years. Oh Marv, I had hoped it would be you, but alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

Tomasi is right on target with Dick. Our hero is once again the young man that was trained by the best of the best. The self-pity and emo moments are all but gone, and what we see now is the confident and independent Richard Grayson that fans have been clamoring for, for years. Kramer’s penciling is sharp and fitting for this book, with Florea and Eyring adding beautiful inks and colors, respectively.

If I had one little gripe, it would have to be the way Nightwing takes out his antagonist. I see where it was going, but I’m sorry, not even my main man can predict exactly when a lightning bolt is going to strike. However, that is small potatoes when compared to the wonderment that the title has now become.

I can’t help but wonder, also, as Nightwing and Superman discuss the situation and where it has placed the government, that perhaps Tomasi is including shades of “The Blackest Night” into this arc. If this [i]is[/] what he’s doing, then an extra point for some wonderful foreshadowing. Let’s hope that this creative team is allowed to stay on this book for a very long time. If they are, this could well be the renaissance of Nightwing.
My Score: 8/10

Posted originally: 2008-07-07 13:13:11

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand