Advertisement

Review Group Week 239 - BILLY THE KID #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Should there be a mass PM for the Group pick each week?

Yes, it's convenient and a good reminder
64%

******, Hermit_Sage, Like Master J, Punchy, SilverPhoenix, Starlord, Stephen Day, thefourthman, Victorian Squid
No, I'm a sourpuss grump
36%

BlueStreak, GLX, guitarsmashley, john lewis hawk, Zero

Total votes : 14

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Re: Review Group Week 239 - BILLY THE KID #1

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:26 am

thefourthman wrote:Don't buy any more comics until you have read The Goon. Seriously, BLOWS Golly! out of the water (and I think that is a fabulous book). The Goon is a top ten all time title for me. It is AMAZING.

And what you really need to understand about 0 is that it isn't really scraps as much as it is really early work for him. Eventually he decided to create a storyline and his art is in a completely different place now than it was then.

I own like a total of 15 art prints, TWO of them are Goon prints by Powell.

The Goon is on my list, VERY high in fact. If I were still working at the LCS, I would have had some cash to by all the trades. But alas... :-(
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Advertisement

Hermit_Sage
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 0 post
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 pm

The pick is Steve Rogers Super Soldier #3

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:41 pm

The Phenomenal Sire wrote:The pick is Steve Rogers Super Soldier #3

SR:SS is an exception funny book so far. Well picked.

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #3
selected by The Phenomenal Sire
WRITER: ED BRUBAKER
PENCILS: DALE EAGLESHAM

His enemy stands revealed - but that's just the beginning of Steve's problems: Reverted to his former 98-pound-weakling self, Steve is trapped in the heart of the enemy's lair and fighting for his life! Rated T $3.99

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:37 am

Please stop sending PM's about the books. I don't care if the new book has been picked I'll read about it here.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:35 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Please stop sending PM's about the books. I don't care if the new book has been picked I'll read about it here.

Poll added.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:36 am

I don't mind the PM, but I do mind the 4 PMs from Fourthman.

Postby ****** » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:39 am

Punchy wrote:I don't mind the PM, but I do mind the 4 PMs from Fourthman.

I've sent him multiple PPMs telling him not to do it and asked Jude to block him though Jude keeps ignoring my request.

Postby ****** » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:00 am

A long overdue updating of the Spreadsheet of Doom has resulted in an updated members list. 26 members at present! :)

Maybe two less than that at the end of the week though. :-(

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Billy the Kid #1

Very reminiscent of League of Extra ordinary gentle people or whatever that thing by Morisson was. Great writing and and wonderful characterization here but not thrilled on the art. Not really my style. Billy was really fun to read though. We need more books like these. This is a brand new one I will put on my list to buy when it comes out in trade.

Story: 8
Art: 6
My Score: 7.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:41 pm

starlord wrote:Billy the Kid #1

Very reminiscent of League of Extra ordinary gentle people or whatever that thing by Morisson was. Great writing and and wonderful characterization here but not thrilled on the art. Not really my style. Billy was really fun to read though. We need more books like these. This is a brand new one I will put on my list to buy when it comes out in trade.

My Score: 7.5

Hey, looky what Dark Horse makes:
Billy the Kid's Old-Timey Oddities TPB
Writer: Eric Powell, Steve Niles
Artist: Kyle Holtz, Kyle Hotz
Genre: Horror, Action/Adventure

From the Eisner award-winning creator of The Goon comes an over-the-bigtop horror romp pitting outlaw legend Billy the Kid and a band of circus "freaks" against the evil machinations of the nefarious Dr. Frankenstein!

Penned with deranged glee by Powell and illustrated by fan-favorite horror artist Kyle Hotz (The Agency andThe Hood), Billy The Kid's Old Timey Oddities starts with Billy the Kid free to roam America, having faked his own death. Free, that is, until Fineas Spoule, AKA. The Human Spider, discovers his secret. Now, afraid of being exposed, Billy finds himself in the service of a caravan of carnival sideshow performers who have unfinished business with a mad scientist none other than Victor Frankenstein himself!

This twisted love child of spaghetti westerns and Hammer horror flicks combines Powell's humorous fast-paced storytelling and Hotz's quirky macabre visuals for a story that the whole family will love...if they're the kind of family that love alligator men and miniature boys fighting monstrous mistakes of science with the help of the fastest gunslinger in the West!

Written by Eric Powell creator The Goon, recipient of the International Horror Guild Award and multiple Eisner Awards!
Publication Date: January 11, 2006
Format: SC, 104pg, FC, 7" x 10"
Price: $14.95

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Man, this sounds like much win. Why must I be poor? :-(
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I will be late with my review for this book. But it will be reviewed for sure!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:22 pm

One of the joys of "indie" comics is that there's more freedom to do just about anything you want, so long as it's not with licensed characters. It's in the realm of independent comics where you can have a story featuring the infamous Billy the Kid and a pack of misfits travel to London to search for the infamous prostitute murderer known as Jack the Ripper. Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities and the Ghastly Fiend of London #1 is a fun, almost whimsical take on the murders that rocked London during the late 19th century.

Written by the Goon's Eric Powell and illustrated by Kyle Hotz, Billy the Kid is an enjoyable read from cover to cover. Using the murder investigation as a commentary on the persecution of the malformed and physically disable, Powell springs into action. The first issue quickly sets up the conflict and the cast efficiently. Powell'ss protagonist, the infamous Billy the Kid, is as as likable of a miscreant as they come. He's rude and lecherous with just a glimmer of good flickering deep inside. Powell's crafted a well-developed character and excellently characterized him in only 18 pages. Acting as a foil is Fineas Sproule, the leader of a band of circus misfits and Billy's employer. The two make for an interesting odd couple, bickering at each other throughout the scant 18 pages of the story. My only complaint is the page count. 18 pages, plus a 4 page Goon backup (which honestly did nothing to convince me to read more Goon), doesn't really do it for me when I'm paying $4 for an issue. While I enjoyed the story, it certainly wasn't ground-breaking or captivating enough to pay an additional $12 for the 54 more pages of story.

The art by Kyle Hotz is serviceable but not fantastic. Some pages were strong, while others, especially the ones with the most panels were disappointingly weak. I feel like the story would have been better served with Powell's art, but that would probably be a lot to as for without taking away from Goon.

Overall, this is a good comic but not good enough to justify reading monthly. I'll wait for the trade and enjoy the rest of the story later.

Overall: 7

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:24 pm

so... you will pay 20.00 bucks to read the rest of the story?
also Marvel and DC often charge the same price for the same size book filled with tons of ads. I would much rather buy this at that price than a Marvel book.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand