Advertisement

Review Group Week 236: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 16321
Likes: 281 posts
Liked in: 411 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:25 am

New Avengers


I wish ashley sucked as much as this comic. I'd be a lot happier in life if she did. Art was nice but dammit I want more nextwave.

1
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Advertisement

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34489
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 93 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:28 pm

New Avengers #3 - Untitled - Bendis, Immonen, Von Grawbadger & Martin

Story - As an unabashed 'Bendis on Avengers' fan, I of course unabashedly enjoyed this issue. When picking up an issue of New Avengers, I expect 3 things. Those 3 things are; 1) Big-ass threats that no single hero could withstand. 2) Witty dialogue between the Avengers. And 3) Beautiful art.

New Avengers #3 delivers on all of these fronts. You've got a big threat, hell, it's tearing rips in the entire universe, and has both Doctor Strange and Doctor Voodoo flummoxed. That's a big deal, and I'm very interested to see how the New Avengers will stop this. And the last page reveal of who exactly is behind these magical events is a doozy for sure.

Then you have the witty dialogue, which is of course, a divisive issue, you either love Bendis' dialogue or you don't, and know review is going to change your mind, but for me, there are few pleasures greater to be had in the world of super-hero comics than reading his back and forth, and this issue had some great stuff, particularly between Spider-Man and The Thing, who've always had a great relationship, and Bendis just nails it here. Also brilliant was Ms. Marvel's admission that she'd never seen Ghostbusters, which was very fun. Some people may not like seeing super-heroes actually act like real people, but I love it, everyone watches movies, even Spider-Man. But crucially, Bendis doesn't skimp on the characterisation and character growth. We get more Iron Fist here than I think we've ever had in New Avengers, and that's a great thing, he's been under-utilised. I also enjoyed seeing the growth of Victoria Hand, and I really love how short-tempered and how much of a dick Daimon Hellstrom is here. He may be a great hero, but come on, he's the Son Of Satan, he's a dick.

New Avengers #3 is another enjoyable chapter in Bendis' long run of Avengers books, the fact that it's remained so consistently strong after 6? 7? years, is pretty remarkable. I couldn't care less about the rules of magic (see my review of #1) or whether Doctor Strange isn't powerful enough, this issue hits all my marks for quality Avengers comics. It's not likely to change your mind if you're a staunch Bendis-hater, but if you're a fan? You won't be disappointed.

The Oral History back-up feature continues to be surprisingly hilarious too.

Art - You thought I'd forgot about my 3rd criteria for Bendis Avengers greatness didn't you? No such luck pedant! What more can really be said about Stuart Immonen that hasn't already been said? The dude's a legend, there's no better artist at Marvel today. I hope he never leaves New Avengers. Unless we can get more Nextwave. But only then.

Best Line - 'I mean, if ever there was a time that I would designate as an actual time to clobber ... this would be that time'

8/10

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 21219
Likes: 243 posts
Liked in: 505 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Postby Amoebas » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:40 pm

New Avengers #3.
Tried reading it in the lcs today, founding myself thumbing through it instead just get it over with.
My incomplete review...
Art - 8
Words - 1
Wolverine - demerit 1
Overall - 3.5

Tiny Titans #31
I think I finished it in less than 2 minutes. Quirky fun and wonderfully cartooned.
Art - 6
Writing - 4
Brainiac 5 - bonus 1
Overall - 6

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:13 pm

New Avengers vs. Tiny Titans: or John Snow’s laziest ever attempt at a “review” but the Pacifico he had with lunch has him a wee bit sleepy so he’s going ahead with it anyway.

New New Avengers #3

Bleh! Do I have to do this? Yes! You have to do this. It’s just a comic, it can’t be that bad. Oooh, I wonder if they have Marvel bedding for King sized beds. That shit is pimp.

Hmmm… maybe if NNA was told all in recaps this would be a series I could get behind. One brief paragraph for #2 which I missed and done? Only way to read Bendavengers.

Great, Victoria Hand in traffic, that’s exactly what I want in my Avengers comics. Hey look, ominous clouds!

Iron Fist, cools. Like Iron Fist.

Bleh bleh bleh, lots of Bendispeak now. Interest fading…

Wut? Is Duane Swierczynski taking over Black Widow per that house ad or is that just a fill-in. A Swierczy BW series sounds like coolness.

Ugh. “You know I’ve never seen that movie.” A) How would Pete know she’s never seen that movie and B) Why would she never have seen that movie? How would a Ghostbusters reference even fit with Marvel’s sliding timescale?

Did Bendis just use “meh” again? :rolleyes:

Why must Bendis cover up all the snazzy Immonen art with words?

Wow, Hand with her giant Cableseque gun is the first thing I like in this issue.

I have to admit, I haven’t read a lot of Voodoo. Has he always been emo?

Hey, Danny’s back! Okay, that was a cool ending. The rest of the book sucked, but the Danny pages and Hand’s awesomely absurd gun almost made it tolerable. I still wish Immonen could get on something with a writer better able to make use of his talents.

Story 2, Art 8
Overall 5

Tiny Titans #31

The first issue of this wasn’t my cup of tea, but if Old Man dug it I guess I can give it another go.

This is on glossy paper now? Fail, I was looking forward to newsprint.

Hell, I don’t even get what the joke on the credits page means. Who da fug is that?

Mixed media. Sweet. Ummm, would the age appropriate audience get the Superboy origin jokes? :?

Hell, I didn’t know the Brainiacs were robots. :lol:

Okay, the snow cone thing is funny.

Oh, good, a monkey joke. Snap, it was a good monkey joke though. You don’t see that very often.

It’s over? Frak off. Hmm, okay. I loved the art. I have kind of a tough time believing this delivers enough entertainment for a toddler in correlation to the price. All it really delivers is 5 minutes of cute.

Story 2, Art 9
Overall 5.5

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34489
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 93 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Swierczynski is indeed taking over Black Widow, they're doing a crossover with Hawkeye & Mockingbird.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27236
Likes: 372 posts
Liked in: 204 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:28 pm

John Snow wrote:New Avengers vs. Tiny Titans: or John Snow’s laziest ever attempt at a “review” but the Pacifico he had with lunch has him a wee bit sleepy so he’s going ahead with it anyway.

New New Avengers #3

Bleh! Do I have to do this? Yes! You have to do this. It’s just a comic, it can’t be that bad. Oooh, I wonder if they have Marvel bedding for King sized beds. That shit is pimp.

Hmmm… maybe if NNA was told all in recaps this would be a series I could get behind. One brief paragraph for #2 which I missed and done? Only way to read Bendavengers.

Great, Victoria Hand in traffic, that’s exactly what I want in my Avengers comics. Hey look, ominous clouds!

Iron Fist, cools. Like Iron Fist.


Bleh bleh bleh, lots of Bendispeak now. Interest fading…

Wut? Is Duane Swierczynski taking over Black Widow per that house ad or is that just a fill-in. A Swierczy BW series sounds like coolness.

Ugh. “You know I’ve never seen that movie.” A) How would Pete know she’s never seen that movie and B) Why would she never have seen that movie? How would a Ghostbusters reference even fit with Marvel’s sliding timescale?

Did Bendis just use “meh” again? :rolleyes:

Why must Bendis cover up all the snazzy Immonen art with words?

Wow, Hand with her giant Cableseque gun is the first thing I like in this issue.

I have to admit, I haven’t read a lot of Voodoo. Has he always been emo?

Hey, Danny’s back! Okay, that was a cool ending. The rest of the book sucked, but the Danny pages and Hand’s awesomely absurd gun almost made it tolerable. I still wish Immonen could get on something with a writer better able to make use of his talents.

Story 2, Art 8
Overall 5

Tiny Titans #31

The first issue of this wasn’t my cup of tea, but if Old Man dug it I guess I can give it another go.

This is on glossy paper now? Fail, I was looking forward to newsprint.

Hell, I don’t even get what the joke on the credits page means. Who da fug is that?

Mixed media. Sweet. Ummm, would the age appropriate audience get the Superboy origin jokes? :?

Hell, I didn’t know the Brainiacs were robots. :lol:

Okay, the snow cone thing is funny.

Oh, good, a monkey joke. Snap, it was a good monkey joke though. You don’t see that very often.

It’s over? Frak off. Hmm, okay. I loved the art. I have kind of a tough time believing this delivers enough entertainment for a toddler in correlation to the price. All it really delivers is 5 minutes of cute.

Story 2, Art 9
Overall 5.5

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Punchy wrote:Swierczynski is indeed taking over Black Widow, they're doing a crossover with Hawkeye & Mockingbird.


Fucking crossovers.

How's that going to work in the trades when normal people read it? :x

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:31 pm

thefourthman wrote:


Nitpicky m'fer. Take your bitchy elsewhere!

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27236
Likes: 372 posts
Liked in: 204 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:31 pm

John Snow wrote:
Fucking crossovers.

How's that going to work in the trades when normal people read it? :x

won't

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:32 pm

thefourthman wrote:won't


Exactly.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27236
Likes: 372 posts
Liked in: 204 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:32 pm

John Snow wrote:
Nitpicky m'fer. Take your bitchy elsewhere!

I be bitchy in this one all I want, just not Billy the Kid... speaking of Billy the Kid, does or does not that shit say Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities and the Ghastly Fiend of London on it or not? cause every one has it listed as Billy the Kid and the first one as Billy the Kid's and it is driving me bonkers.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27236
Likes: 372 posts
Liked in: 204 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:33 pm

John Snow wrote:
Exactly.

Hell I didn't even notice what they did to the Star Wars trades until like two more volumes came out.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:35 pm

thefourthman wrote:I be bitchy in this one all I want, just not Billy the Kid... speaking of Billy the Kid, does or does not that shit say Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities and the Ghastly Fiend of London on it or not? cause every one has it listed as Billy the Kid and the first one as Billy the Kid's and it is driving me bonkers.


No one remembers the original series. I didn't even know there was an original series till you made a fuss.

I saw it listed as Billy the Kid and the Ghastly Fiend somewhere. The logistics of the ridiculously long title make it difficult.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:36 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hell I didn't even notice what they did to the Star Wars trades until like two more volumes came out.


I liked Vector. It was completely unnecessary, but I liked it.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27236
Likes: 372 posts
Liked in: 204 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Re: Call for Reviews: Tiny Titans vs. New Avengers

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:36 pm

John Snow wrote:
No one remembers the original series. I didn't even know there was an original series till you made a fuss.

I saw it listed as Billy the Kid and the Ghastly Fiend somewhere. The logistics of the ridiculously long title make it difficult.

I do. :cry:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 115 guests

Advertisement