Advertisement

Review Group Week 237 - GARRISON #5

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Review Group Week 237 - GARRISON #5

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:04 am

john lewis hawk wrote:Hawkie sad now.

like the day you figured out you came out of your moms vagina.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:18 am

thefourthman wrote:Garrison #5

What a very strange book.
Having read all five issues, this is one of the most uneven books I have ever read.
What's really a shame, is that there is almost nothing worse than when a book goes exactly where you think it is going and instead of you being like hell yeah, you roll your eyes and go, whatever. That's the last two pages in a nutshell.
The opening pages are okay, with whats her name showing up on Lester as he is pulling the switch back into his clothes after stealing a guard's clothes last episode. Straight out of Star Wars, except it is a heck of a lot easier when you look like the storm trooper you are replacing. But then this is just the origin of Jango Fett and the clone troopers except set now instead of in a galaxy far far away.
But then there is the plane sequence, which stinks of a Harrison Ford Anne Heche movie, but works inspite of itself. You can even imagine Garrison being played by a Raiders of the Lost Ark era Ford.
Then there is the art. Francavilla is a great artist. He really is. Check out Zorro or Black Coat. They are great looking books. That shines through in some of the quieter moments here, but the rest feel and look horribly rushed. It is like he had a hard time keeping a deadline and his attention span.
This is the kind of book that deserves a middle of the road score. It is a neat enough concept and story and when it works it works, but when it doesn't it doesn't.
Story 2
Art 3
Overall 5

You're too nice, this is the kind of book that just cheapens the graphic arts medium by ripping off movies scenes and taping them together presented with sub-par art we all know the artist himself could do better. The medium won't survive and adapt because of stuff like that.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 178 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:21 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
You're too nice, this is the kind of book that just cheapens the graphic arts medium by ripping off movies scenes and taping them together presented with sub-par art we all know the artist himself could do better. The medium won't survive and adapt because of stuff like that.

maybe. its really a good issue, bad issue kind of book. at least it wasn't full of pages of wordless action scenes. Honestly from the rush of some of the art and the pointlessness of every other issue, it feels like a 3 issue mini that was expanded.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:27 am

thefourthman wrote:maybe. its really a good issue, bad issue kind of book. at least it wasn't full of pages of wordless action scenes. Honestly from the rush of some of the art and the pointlessness of every other issue, it feels like a 3 issue mini that was expanded.

Yeah, there were words all right.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:33 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Yeah, there were words all right.

at least issue 3 and 4, if not the first two, had multiple page sequences of wordless fights that were no better than the awkward execution here.

five is a score for an average book, and in today's comics, this is an average book.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:38 am

thefourthman wrote:at least issue 3 and 4, if not the first two, had multiple page sequences of wordless fights that were no better than the awkward execution here.

five is a score for an average book, and in today's comics, this is an average book.

Back to square one, my score indicates I disagree and it's a sub-par or less than average book.

An average book doesn't make you wonder on the offchance if the artist's hands were crushed in an accident and he now draws with his feet.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Back to square one, my score indicates I disagree and it's a sub-par or less than average book.

An average book doesn't make you wonder on the offchance if the artist's hands were crushed in an accident and he now draws with his feet.

obviously, you have not been reading the majority of what Marvel and DC produce.

This was average. It was not bad just cliche. The art feels rushed in places, but looks good in others. That's actually above average. Most comics just feel rushed, fuck all that looking good in places that is too much work.

Actually it is a little above average. I would say things like Bendis Avengers are closer to average for the medium and to me those are much more repulsive books - crappy Romita art and Bendis just making shit up.

God, I hope my score reflects that so Punchy doesn't come yell at me.

One of the reason I detest scoring is that it is pointless. You can tell from reading the review that I feel right on the middle about the book. The score should reflect that but doesn't always.

Plus you forget I decided scores are abitrary anyhow. If you average 2 and 3 you get 2.5, I bet you would be happy with that score, so choose to believe that is the score.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:45 am

thefourthman wrote:obviously, you have not been reading the majority of what Marvel and DC produce.

This was average. It was not bad just cliche. The art feels rushed in places, but looks good in others. That's actually above average. Most comics just feel rushed, fuck all that looking good in places that is too much work.

Actually it is a little above average. I would say things like Bendis Avengers are closer to average for the medium and to me those are much more repulsive books - crappy Romita art and Bendis just making shit up.

God, I hope my score reflects that so Punchy doesn't come yell at me.

One of the reason I detest scoring is that it is pointless. You can tell from reading the review that I feel right on the middle about the book. The score should reflect that but doesn't always.

Plus you forget I decided scores are abitrary anyhow. If you average 2 and 3 you get 2.5, I bet you would be happy with that score, so choose to believe that is the score.

Don't you try your fairy magic on me!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:57 am

I'm excited to read this but for some reason it sat on my desk all weekend untouched.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:18 am

So, you guys might be interested in this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49831

Postby ****** » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am

thefourthman wrote:So, you guys might be interested in this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49831

BlueStreak should most definitely check out the link.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:17 am

Garrison #5

What happens when you have a book that tries so hard to defeat its tropes, but ends up falling a little bit short? You get a book that just might be a contender.

The perfect soldier without a past, the beautiful girl who can kick ass, the omniscient national security agency that she works for, and a conspiracy that could not only destroy the fragile fabric of world peace, but result in coupling based on a foundation of surviving danger and hot sex. Put those together, and you get a good amount of action stories that are neither refreshing, or innovative in some fashion. In this case, however, you get Garrison #5, which ends up unable to decide whether it wants to be excellent, or just mediocre.

Now, before I begin to analyze my thoughts on this book, let me just say that I am coming into this pretty cold, so there are still some questions I really don't have the answers to, so I will do this to best of my ability. However, I will say that I am looking forward to finding the answers, so it'll probably reflect my final score in a positive light, which is always a good thing.

As for the issue itself, Issue #5 drops you into an already precarious situation, where our main female character (Jillian) breaks rank in her organization to save the main male character (Garrison) from what seems like a situation (not really) he won't survive without help, and the story unfolds from there. Which parts work, and what parts don't in this reviewer's eyes? Lets take a look, shall we?

Garrison does quite a few things right, to be honest. For starters, the characters aren't completely infallible, which would make them completely boring. Even Garrison, with all of his skills, and the dozens of Martial Arts that he's mastered, don't hide the fact that he would rather end fights quickly, or not even really fight at all if its not necessary. As for Jillian, she's beyond not totally useless, as we find out that she has her own mind about things, and is quite capable as she thought ahead in a way that would usually be reserved for the male character. Also, the overlaying storyline seems quite riveting in its mystery. From what this reviewer saw, it seems like the War on Terror has had its worst case scenario come completely true, and now America is stuck fighting wars without end, with seemingly little benefit. I had a bit of fun speculating what the world make up looks like. However, this book is not without its flaws, especially when it decides to play to its genre conventions. Jillian comes off as extremely annoying when she tries to lecture Garrison for his cold-blooded attitude, which makes the last two pages seem out of place, especially with the “twist” ending. Maybe the twist ending was necessary, but the condescending attitude was not.

In the end, this book is also hindered by the relative inaccessibility to those who decided to jump-in from this issue. Even though I was curious to finding out the answers to those questions, it still won't make it any easier for those people to understand it, and there isn't enough good (like in say Fables), to ignore this issue. Also, the art does work for the setting, but it seems like there could be a lot more effort put into the panels. Then again, it could be following the pattern of this book, where you find things to like and despise all in one issue. And yet, I still look forward to the release of the trade (especially if the price is right), and to at least seeing what happens next. I guess this means that book did something right.

The Breakdown

Story ***1/4 (6.5 out of 10): The characters are quite compelling, and the world draws you into its potentially Distopian outlook, but some of the jarring moments make something that could've been excellent just above average.

Art **1/2 (5 out of 10): The art hovers from good to bad, which makes this book look quite uneven and average overall

Accessibility ** (4 out of 10): This book isn't totally un-followable for new readers, but it comes close to it. You'd be much better off waiting for the trade, as this book is so written for the format.

Final Breakdown (All three categories plus Intangibles): *** (6 out of 10)

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Garrison #5

Sooooooo... this was a comic book.

What's to say? So it's a commentary book on the past decade or so of American military stuff. Good for it, I guess. Jumping into the middle of a series like this, you really have to rely on the characters to build some connection to the material, but the characters here were a pretty sad mix of bland and cliche. Garrisson's reaction to being told he's a clone trooper is so deadpan it's almost impossible to get a good read on it with without the context of previous issues.

I dig Francavilla usually, but here the art feels a bit too understated for this type of book. I'd really be interested in seeing him do a slice of life type story instead of an action series.

Story: 3
Art: 7
Overall: 5

Postby ****** » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 am

Holy crap, there were 7 reviews for this?! I'm sorry I tried to kick you out hawk. :oops:

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand