Advertisement

Review Group Week 239 - BILLY THE KID #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Should there be a mass PM for the Group pick each week?

Yes, it's convenient and a good reminder
64%

******, Hermit_Sage, Punchy, SilverPhoenix, Starlord, Stephen Day, thefourthman, Victorian Squid
No, I'm a sourpuss grump
36%

BlueStreak, GLX, guitarsmashley, john lewis hawk, Zero

Total votes : 14

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week 239 - BILLY THE KID #1

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:I don't understand why people who didn't read the first volume found this issue so inaccessible. I didn't read the first series, and I was ok. I'd say this issue gave you what you needed and then went full sail ahead. :smt102

It introduced the characters but not the concept behind it all. I knew why a historical figure was running around with a bunch of circus freaks but if you hadn't done the research, you really wouldn't get it.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week 239 - BILLY THE KID #1

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:48 pm

nerdygirl wrote:

I don't think this is a "I don't like it because of genre/ subject", this is a "structurally this issue is more of a mess than Hunter on a bender" thing.

:lol:
No, I honestly think that if you read the first issue of the first series you would dig it and totally hate it by the end. There is a shift in the tone of the book and it carries on into this. It starts out a whacky book about circus freaks hiring Billy the Kid and then becomes a straight on horror book with a keen sense of humor and wicked irony. I think the fun I feel for it is in my love for Powell's kind of humor which is very much in line with mine and my love of his use of everything to create a story. I mean there is basically a version of Remember the Titans in The Goon and somehow it works.

Greg finds it fun, cause it is a funny horror book and well he is a horror fan and it is very well done horror that is HIGHLY referential to the great pre-code horror stuff in both it's writing and art.

I did you a disservice by not warning you and I apologize.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:48 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
It introduced the characters but not the concept behind it all. I knew why a historical figure was running around with a bunch of circus freaks but if you hadn't done the research, you really wouldn't get it.

It was written in such a way that the "why" wasn't important to this story. It made me want to go back and read the first series, but not because I was confused or that I felt like I had missed something important.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
It was written in such a way that the "why" wasn't important to this story. It made me want to go back and read the first series, but not because I was confused or that I felt like I had missed something important.

It didn't make me want to go back at all.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:51 pm

BlueStreak wrote:

see that's the thing though, people talk about the difference in accessibility of older comics versus modern comics and this is just as accessible if not more so than the first mid story issues of Spider-Man, Batman, and X-men that I read as a kid.

We demand more in our definition of accessibility now. Recap pages have made us lazy.... it doesn't matter if we know how they got together, it is just as absurd as it was in the first issue and the origin is all based on a lie anyhow, so what does it matter? none at all - we as readers are just lazier than we were as kids.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:

exactly.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 pm

thefourthman wrote:see that's the thing though, people talk about the difference in accessibility of older comics versus modern comics and this is just as accessible if not more so than the first mid story issues of Spider-Man, Batman, and X-men that I read as a kid.

We demand more in our definition of accessibility now. Recap pages have made us lazy.... it doesn't matter if we know how they got together, it is just as absurd as it was in the first issue and the origin is all based on a lie anyhow, so what does it matter? none at all - we as readers are just lazier than we were as kids.

The creators are lazier, not the readers. Is it that hard to put in a recap?

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl

Postby Muppetesque » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:53 pm

thefourthman wrote::lol:
No, I honestly think that if you read the first issue of the first series you would dig it and totally hate it by the end. There is a shift in the tone of the book and it carries on into this. It starts out a whacky book about circus freaks hiring Billy the Kid and then becomes a straight on horror book with a keen sense of humor and wicked irony. I think the fun I feel for it is in my love for Powell's kind of humor which is very much in line with mine and my love of his use of everything to create a story. I mean there is basically a version of Remember the Titans in The Goon and somehow it works.

Greg finds it fun, cause it is a funny horror book and well he is a horror fan and it is very well done horror that is HIGHLY referential to the great pre-code horror stuff in both it's writing and art.

I did you a disservice by not warning you and I apologize.

Well, you were just trying to pimp review group.

and I think your punishment will be handed out Greg style...

:smt079
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:56 pm

thefourthman wrote:see that's the thing though, people talk about the difference in accessibility of older comics versus modern comics and this is just as accessible if not more so than the first mid story issues of Spider-Man, Batman, and X-men that I read as a kid.

I'm not looking for a recap page at all.

But as I understand it from google... Billy the kid's been blackmailed into going along for the ride. Even a simple throw away line like "I may be shanghai'd into being with you freaks..." or something along those lines conveys info I needed. Lazy writing - not lazy reader.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
Well, you were just trying to pimp review group.

and I think your punishment will be handed out Greg style...

:smt079

great, I am at home, how am I supposed to hide that boner from Morgan?!? :x

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:03 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
I'm not looking for a recap page at all.

But as I understand it from google... Billy the kid's been blackmailed into going along for the ride. Even a simple throw away line like "I may be shanghai'd into being with you freaks..." or something along those lines conveys info I needed. Lazy writing - not lazy reader.

He hasn't been blackmailed. He was blackmailed into going on the first journey (and lied to as why) but by the end, he is friends with them and stays on because they are his family, even if he doesn't necessarily like them.

And the recap stuff was not directed at you. :P

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:He hasn't been blackmailed. He was blackmailed into going on the first journey (and lied to as why) but by the end, he is friends with them and stays on because they are his family, even if he doesn't necessarily like them.

And the recap stuff was not directed at you. :P

I knew I wasn't really on ignore!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:08 pm

thefourthman wrote:great, I am at home, how am I supposed to hide that boner from Morgan?!? :x

Put some pants on, for starters.

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:great, I am at home, how am I supposed to hide that boner from Morgan?!? :x

and you claim you don't like me anymore.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:14 pm

nerdygirl wrote:

and you claim you don't like me anymore.

He's still got fantasies about Greg though.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand