Advertisement

DC Preview: Legion of Super-Heroes #5

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: DC Preview: Legion of Super-Heroes #5

Postby bkthomson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm having a hard time with this Legion. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I started with the legion just Pre-Zero Hour. So I've heard a lot of good things about Levitz run which gave me high hope for the Legion book post Shooter. Wow, so far each issue has been really tough to get through and I feel very, very lost. It would have helped if D.C. provided some back matter to fill in the holes of what has happened and who is with who. I mean Saturn Girl has kids? It just has not been very user friendly.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:33 pm

bkthomson wrote:I'm having a hard time with this Legion. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I started with the legion just Pre-Zero Hour. So I've heard a lot of good things about Levitz run which gave me high hope for the Legion book post Shooter. Wow, so far each issue has been really tough to get through and I feel very, very lost. It would have helped if D.C. provided some back matter to fill in the holes of what has happened and who is with who. I mean Saturn Girl has kids? It just has not been very user friendly.

I can appreciate your dilemma - but is it any different from someone jumping into X-Men for the first time?

"I mean, Cyclops has kids? (from an alternate future reality)?"

If you're ever near the middle of Massachusetts stop on over. You bring the beer and you can read my entire Legion library to catch up on (even the issues they don't reprint in Archives & Showcases).

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 121 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:35 pm

There are a lot of long-running franchises that are more confusing (like X-Men!), the only thing that makes the LoSH daunting is the times it was rebooted, and once you know you basically just have to ignore those now it's pretty easy.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Amoebas wrote:I can appreciate your dilemma - but is it any different from someone jumping into X-Men for the first time?

"I mean, Cyclops has kids? (from an alternate future reality)?"

If you're ever near the middle of Massachusetts stop on over. You bring the beer and you can read my entire Legion library to catch up on (even the issues they don't reprint in Archives & Showcases).

Ok, very fair point using the X-Men as an example. I've been reading X-Men since the mid 80's yeah a lot of that stuff makes perfect sense to me.

I'll take you up on the Legion library visit if I am ever in the area! Thanks!
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:There are a lot of long-running franchises that are more confusing (like X-Men!), the only thing that makes the LoSH daunting is the times it was rebooted, and once you know you basically just have to ignore those now it's pretty easy.

Yeah, like Amoebas you raise a valid point on the X-Men which to me makes complete sense. For me with the Legion I've read and the multiple reboots until the current series it has always been the young just starting out Legion so each reboot did have a similar theme. I do not plan on dropping the current series, I have faith in Levitz, and the Legion but I cannot deny sometimes it is hard to get through.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 121 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:52 pm

bkthomson wrote:
Yeah, like Amoebas you raise a valid point on the X-Men which to me makes complete sense. For me with the Legion I've read and the multiple reboots until the current series it has always been the young just starting out Legion so each reboot did have a similar theme. I do not plan on dropping the current series, I have faith in Levitz, and the Legion but I cannot deny sometimes it is hard to get through.

I didn't buy this issue, there's something not compelling to me besides just the art this time. But especially referencing the Great Darkness Saga ties it to that early run, I suspect in part to even further dismiss the DnA and Shooter2 runs but also to try and recapture those fans of the Levitz period. And if you'd read mainly the reboot and threeboot, that would be a tough sell, I agree.

(FTR, I read the X-men from the beginning to the '90s so I know them too--but skipping the '90s but VERY confusing when I first read the book again around 2000.)

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I didn't buy this issue, there's something not compelling to me besides just the art this time. But especially referencing the Great Darkness Saga ties it to that early run, I suspect in part to even further dismiss the DnA and Shooter2 runs but also to try and recapture those fans of the Levitz period. And if you'd read mainly the reboot and threeboot, that would be a tough sell, I agree.

(FTR, I read the X-men from the beginning to the '90s so I know them too--but skipping the '90s but VERY confusing when I first read the book again around 2000.)

I believe I pre-ordered Great Darkness Saga recently, I know this is an important part of Levitz history and one of the better Legion stories so I just went with it.

I would say that really the important stuff happened in the early 90's for the X-Men and you did not miss much in the latter half.

Kolimar
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Bear-hugger
Formerly: Kolimar

Postby Kolimar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:36 pm

bkthomson wrote:I'm having a hard time with this Legion. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I started with the legion just Pre-Zero Hour. So I've heard a lot of good things about Levitz run which gave me high hope for the Legion book post Shooter. Wow, so far each issue has been really tough to get through and I feel very, very lost. It would have helped if D.C. provided some back matter to fill in the holes of what has happened and who is with who. I mean Saturn Girl has kids? It just has not been very user friendly.

All you need to know about the Legion and much more:

http://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/index.html

Saturn Girl:

http://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/profi ... nGirl.html

If you still have questions, you can ask and we won't make fun of you. Well, not too much... :-D :wink:
"Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
Nah, never happen.
Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"It is often forgotten that (dictionaries) are artificial repositories, put together well after the languages they define. The roots of language are irrational and of a magical nature." - Jorge Luis Borges, Prologue to "El otro, el mismo."

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

Kolimar
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Bear-hugger
Formerly: Kolimar

Postby Kolimar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
It was only secret for a while. That time has passed.

Meanwhile, why is it Jim Lee is choosing better costumes then the ones used these days?

Cause he's awesome! :-D

Absolutely correct in every respect. :-D
"Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
Nah, never happen.
Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"It is often forgotten that (dictionaries) are artificial repositories, put together well after the languages they define. The roots of language are irrational and of a magical nature." - Jorge Luis Borges, Prologue to "El otro, el mismo."

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Kolimar wrote:All you need to know about the Legion and much more:

http://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/index.html

Saturn Girl:

http://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/profi ... nGirl.html

If you still have questions, you can ask and we won't make fun of you. Well, not too much... :-D :wink:

That's one of the better Legion sites. Great suggestion.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:01 am

bkthomson wrote:
I believe I pre-ordered Great Darkness Saga recently, I know this is an important part of Levitz history and one of the better Legion stories so I just went with it.

I would say that really the important stuff happened in the early 90's for the X-Men and you did not miss much in the latter half.

I'd go ahead and order the book that's collecting the pre-GDS stories of Levitz, Giffen, and Brodrick (who drew four of the stories in the book). Those early stories in the run redefined the Legion as much as GDS did. "The Forgotten Future" and "Death Stroke at Dawn," for example pretty much turned Dream Girl into a more central character in the series.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:08 am

Kolimar wrote:
Absolutely correct in every respect. :-D

What really needs to do is abuse his power and tell Brian Cunningham and Cinar to ditch those frakin' awful Gary Frank unis and either

a)Go back to the "classic era" unis,

b) Make some new ones,

c)Design some new ones himself and tell Cunningham and Cinar that they can either use his designs, or find work elsewhere.

Honestly, c) may be the preferable option.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Potter Who
penile prisoner

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Potter Who » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:29 am

yeah, the art is a bit difficult to follow.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:49 am

Potter Who wrote:yeah, the art is a bit difficult to follow.

There's really just no "oomph!" to it. Grell, Giffen, even LaRouche (whom Cinar reminds me of the most) had there own visions of 30th Century Metropolis. Cinar, meh.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to Previews