Advertisement

Review Group Week 240 - STEVE ROGERS: SUPER SOLDIER #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week 240 - STEVE ROGERS: SUPER SOLDIER #3

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:55 am

There's some good stuff out next week, new creative teams on Thor and Hulk, Michael Lark and David Aja on Secret Avengers, the start of Hickman's big 'Three' storyline on Fantastic Four and of course, Garrison #6!

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm going with the only new comic that I'll be buying next week - Nemesis #3.

NOTE: I recommend not buying Nemesis #3, if you haven't enjoyed the previous issues. Just sayin'.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:29 pm

I tried to find last weeks issue, but it wasn't in the normal store I buy from off E-bay. Now I'll ahve to try and get this. I'll hopefully get Nemesis #3 fo sho.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Count me out for next week then. Can't afford a book I won't enjoy.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:02 pm

I dug the new issue, I'd love to see this as a ongoing but....

8.0/10

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #3

Me like this! Me think art good! Me want more! Me love Machinesmith! Me miss Mark Waid. Me think Alex Ross perfect writer for this mini-series.

Me just read Essential Hulk #2.
Me leaving now.
BAH!!!

Story: 7
Art: 10
Me Score: 8.50

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:00 pm

GLX wrote:I'm going with the only new comic that I'll be buying next week - Nemesis #3.

NOTE: I recommend not buying Nemesis #3, if you haven't enjoyed the previous issues. Just sayin'.

8)

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 376 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:01 pm

GLX wrote:I'm going with the only new comic that I'll be buying next week - Nemesis #3.

I'm going to have to skip this one, I don't get Nemesis and can't really afford to add it to the other stuff I'm getting next week.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:08 pm

I'm on the fence about next week, I read issue #1 but it seems like a while ago and it didn't leave much of an impression. I was going to read it in trade later, if at all really.

If I really need something to kick around on Wednesday I'll Bryne-steal it.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:24 pm

I love Machinesmith, having this character as the main villain gave this issue the same feeling I remember from back in the day reading a really well written Mark Gruenwald story. I personally consider that to be a high compliment. In the conversation between Machinesmith and Rogers, artist Dale Eaglesham fully utilized the stranger aspects of the villain's anatomy. Its always fun to see Machinesmith with arms and head extended and Eaglesham obviously realizes this and gave me exactly what I wanted.

The best part of this issue was the fight between Rogers and the two Super Soldier Serum powered thugs. The fight itself wasn't anything special, but Brubaker smartly juxtaposed it with panels of a young Steve Rogers in a fight with a bunch of kids in the 30s. The point of this is very clear -- Steve Rogers, the man, is more than just the Super Soldier Serum. The result is a fight that is elevated well beyond where it would have been without the 30s panels.

My only problem, with this issue is the character of Anita. The writing around her I've found to be a little flat and after three issues I still can't say I care anything about her. She's an important plot point, but not a character I care to read about. Its such a minor compliant that covers a total of five pages of this issue, so its nothing that even came close to ruining my enjoyment.

8 out of 10
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Steve Rogers may not be Captain America anymore but he is still a Super Solider. And its not because of no serum. Machinesmith may have deactivated the super solider serum in his blood but Steve is Jack Bauer level bad ass. someone said that they would read a Steve Rogers ongoing, and I totally agree. Steve Rogers is far more interesting when he is out of the uniform, he can stop just being Captain America World War II hero, and he gets to be Steve Rogers. This was also my first exposure to machinesmith, and I very much want a series where we could see Steve go up against some of his classic foes that haven't been seen in years. Eaglesham art was fantastic as usual. He very much fits for Steve. artists have it very easy with me, I can't draw worth a darn so I immidately respect that they can. if the art fits and allows me to flow through the story and almost forget I am turning the page and reading a comic, a job well done.

Overall - 8

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:There is expert storytelling here for sure. The juxtaposition between Steve’s past and his present is handled with great skill and creates a fantastic read. It’s compelling and interesting.
Here’s the thing though… first of all, I don’t buy Steve’s ability. Sure training is a factor, but the sudden removal of weight and muscle would not only disorient him but cause massive problems with his abilities. I would have to assume that things would be very similar to severe atrophy at that point. It’s the kind of thing that hurts suspension of disbelief – no longer do I believe what could be going on. And it’s a hard thing to point to, because it is possible that Rogers could take the bad guys by surprise, I just don’t believe that the stamina needed would exist in the situation.
It’s a nitpick for sure, but one that hurt my enjoyment of an otherwise solid issue.
The art is another matter. Machinesmith is meant to be creepy with his head turning around and the limbs and head extending like Inspector Gadget. It’s not though, some of it is being desensitized… some of it is Eaglesham. He is a quality artist. He has a strong narrative sense. However, since his work on Fantastic Four there is some weirdness to it, especially once Steve is back to his full Super Soldier strength, he ends up looking like he is Captain America on steroids. This is especially odd given the way Rogers views the monsters that Machinesmith has created.
It’s an odd book that is amazing in its strengths and held back by its weaknesses. In the end, it’s a wash and as much as it pains me, an average book – even with its creative pedigree.
Story 3
Art 3
Overall 6

I disagree with you about that fight scene. There's one panel in which he's throwing a kick and for the rest of the fight he's using either a shotgun or improvised weapons to give himself an advantage. Its not like he's pounding them with his fists.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I disagree with you about that fight scene. There's one panel in which he's throwing a kick and for the rest of the fight he's using either a shotgun or improvised weapons to give himself an advantage. Its not like he's pounding them with his fists.

That's kind of my point though. It isn't just throwing kicks. He was a weakling, would he be able to not only swing the fire extinguisher with enough force or enough accuracy to hurt one of these roided out guys?

I'm unsure. I don't know. But the excuse in the book is his training and his training would be a factor but muscle memory for muscles that aren't there is highly unlikely. I have no doubt he would attempt to attack them and that his training would make him more effective than a normal human in that position, I just don't know how effective he would be against these guys.

Does that make sense?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:05 pm

thefourthman wrote:That's kind of my point though. It isn't just throwing kicks. He was a weakling, would he be able to not only swing the fire extinguisher with enough force or enough accuracy to hurt one of these roided out guys?

I'm unsure. I don't know. But the excuse in the book is his training and his training would be a factor but muscle memory for muscles that aren't there is highly unlikely. I have no doubt he would attempt to attack them and that his training would make him more effective than a normal human in that position, I just don't know how effective he would be against these guys.

Does that make sense?

Fair enough, but I still can't say I agree.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:51 pm

So should I review this book again or something?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand