Advertisement

Review Group Week 240 - STEVE ROGERS: SUPER SOLDIER #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Review Group Week 240 - STEVE ROGERS: SUPER SOLDIER #3

Postby ****** » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:So should I review this book again or something?

We let Hab win. :evil:

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:41 pm

John Snow wrote:
We let Hab win. :evil:

:smt011

At least I have the MGS.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:46 pm

what the hell are you two going on about?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:what the hell are you two going on about?

It's too late, don't try and rile this thread up now.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Oh... sorry. I'm trying not to be a raging lunatic all the time. :oops:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 723 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:20 am

Review by Jude Terror

I don't want to repeat just repeat the things I said about this book in my review of issue #1, but I continue to love it for the reasons I loved that issue. Brubaker really shows here why his Captain America run is so beloved, even if he isn't really delivering in the current issues with Bucky Cap. This issue touches on all the aspects of Steve's character that make him who he is. We see his past as a scrawny weekling. We see his unwavering sense of do-goodism. We see his compassion, even for a robot. We see that it isn't the serum that makes him an ass-kicking machine - it' that 'hero' quality inside him. And much to Brubaker's credit, we don't see these things as part of a fawning narration or worse, worship dialog from 'lesser' characters DC style. We see it in in Steve's own actions throughout the issue.
I've even grown to love some of things I was unsure of in the first issue. The whole plot to involve Steve in this seemed a little bit ridiculous at first, but after Machinesmith's bragging, it's clear that this instead an example of the flawed logic that only a supervillain could muster. This alone wins big points for this series, because in an age where comics strive far too hard to be screenplays or allegorical masterpieces, this book is not afraid to just be a good, old-fashioned comic.

This brings me to the art. I was just complaining this week about the dark, muddy colors in comics these days, but I'm happy to say this book is bright and vibrant. Eaglesham's art is a fine example of superhero art. It's realistic enough to feel mature and modern, while remaining iconic enough to harken back to the classic comic book look of the seventies and eighties. Often, today, an artist having a 'style' means obvious flaws repeated over and over (see JRJr), but Eaglesham gets it right.

A fulfilling read for longtime fans that is also basic enough to be a good choice for new readers. This is one of those books that serves as a counter to your Deadpool #1000s in reminding me why I love Marvel.

10/10

Excuse any typos as I did this whole review from my phone. :)

Postby ****** » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 am

thefourthman wrote:Oh... sorry. I'm trying not to be a raging lunatic all the time. :oops:

The OH wouldn't exist if not for raging lunatics. Let loose, be yourself, don't let Hab win.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:38 am

I'm actually really digging this series.

Bru really knows how to craft a spy story and the suspense builds up nicely. I liked that the serum was deactivated.

The art is kind of shitty, especially the covers.

8/10
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:38 am

Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier #3(of 4) - Untitled - Brubaker, Eaglesham & Troy

Story - Superheroes are, on the whole, a very cliched genre. In every issue you'll find one or two cliches present, whether it's being used straight, or deconstructed, the world of capes and tights is based on a mountain of cliches.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, there's a reason many recurring story ideas have become cliches, it's because they're good ideas. And one of my most favourite of all cliches is the one where a hero is stripped of his powers, but manages to use unexpected abilities to save the day, thus proving the true worth of a hero is not in strength, but in spirit! Ahem. Like when Iron Man has his armour disabled, but he uses his massive brains, or when Superman is all Red Kryptonite'd, but he uses his innate goodness. That stuff.

As such, this third instalment of Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier is perfect for me. Steve is a captive of the evil Machinesmith, and has had the Super-Soldier Serum removed from his body, leaving him a helpless 4F weakling.

Or not, as even without his magic steroids, Steve is still the best fighter in the Marvel Universe (give or take an Iron Fist), and is capable of using his brain to take out the brawn of the fake Super-Soldiers. It's never been outright stated why exactly Steve is the only guy the Serum worked on properly, but I suspect it may be this reason, his character. I liked the way Brubaker compared this fight here, with Steve's youth in 1930s Brooklyn, it added character to what would just be a normal fight scene.

The rest of the issue is a pleasing espionage romp, it's a little lighter and faster-paced than Brubaker's normal Captain America work, and Machinesmith isn't a threat on the level of the Red Skull or Baron Zemo, but it's still a good time. The character who's a robot who thinks she's a woman is certainly tragic and does add depth here. Following Bucky as Captain America may be enjoyable, but I have missed Ed Brubaker's take on Steve Rogers, and this makes an good companion series to both Captain America and Secret Avengers. It's not essential, but it uses the cliches of superhero and espionage comics to strong effects, and I'm certainly looking forward to Part 4, and would welcome more Steve Rogers adventures.

Art - Dale Eaglesham is an artist who caused a bit of a controversy when is take on Reed Richards was deemed to be too muscular, so he's a good choice for this book, where he has to draw a super-skinny dude taking on super-hench, um, henchmen. The exaggerated muscles add an extra level to this story about what is basically a super-steroid. Captain America is the ultimate square-jawed hero, and Dale Eaglesham is the perfect square-jawed artist, if he's not returning to the FF, I'd like to see him carry on working on these characters in the Captain America book.

Best Line - 'Skills Matter'

8/10

Postby ****** » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:44 pm

GLX wrote:I'm going with the only new comic that I'll be buying next week - Nemesis #3.

NOTE: I recommend not buying Nemesis #3, if you haven't enjoyed the previous issues. Just sayin'.

Nemesis #3
selected by GLX
WRITER: Mark Millar
PENCILS: Steve McNiven

Don't worry, everyone. Nemesis has been captured and put in the highest security prison that America has to offer. Problem solved. Series over. What's that? It's only issue three? Uh-Oh! More shocking twists and turns from the masters of modern comic-book awesomeness Mark Millar (KICKASS, CIVIL WAR) and Steve McNiven (WOLVERINE: OLD MAN LOGAN, CIVIL WAR). Mature Content $2.99

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:38 pm

The story of the depowered hero bores me. It has been, as Punchy astutely notes, a mainstay of superhero comics since the very beginning. Off the top of my head, I can think of several Spider-Man comics where Spidey momentarily loses his powers: ASM #12, where Pete has the flu and, in a weakened state, is unmasked my Doc Ock; ASM #87, where again Pete suffers the flu and sees his powers fade; and ASM #98, where Goblin sprays Spidey with a gas that robs him of his sticking powers. I'm sure there are many other instances, involving many other heroes, but these three are the ones I remember most vividly.

Now, I understand that superhero stories are today's modern myths, and that part of their charm is how they recycle, revamp, and rework old concepts and ideas. And so, at a very basic level, there is something fun about seeing Steve Rogers suddenly lose his super strength and go into battle as a weakling. But because I've read too many superhero stories already, and have zero interest in reading anymore of these unless they do something new and interesting, I can't recommend STEVE ROGERS: SUPER SOLDIER #3. It does an adequate job of being a superhero comic, but it fails to explore new territory and wow my imagination. In other words, it simply reinforces why I no longer read cape books on a regular basis: I've read all the possible Big Two storylines and plot twists years ago, and the new stuff is just an overpriced, brightly colored version of the old stuff.

STORY: 5
ART: 8.5
OVERALL: 6.75

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Can you just stick me on the inactive list or something? Life's been crazy and I've barely been able to come her a lot, let alone the comic book store. Thanks

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Steve Rogers: Super Solider #3

Can a 98 pound weakling stand up against the forces of evil? Well, that depends on that 98 pound weakling is, along with the reader’s ability to buy into what is happening through either suspension of disbelief, or acceptance that ingrained knowledge is enough to win the day.

What is the true Measure of a Man? Where does one begin to define this statement? Is a man measured in his physical strength? Is he measured in his intelligence? Is he measured in his deeds? Is he measured in his personality? Is he measured in his ability to be an asset to his community? Or is he measured by something else altogether or even yet, is he measured by a combination of things? This is a question that I feel was the central underlying theme in the story being told in Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #3, which puts its main character into a situation that gives us the answer as to how he is measured as man.

At first glance one might be asking why Steve Rogers is involved with this question, at all. It should be very easy to see what kind of man Steve Rogers is. He not only stepped up to fight World War II when his body wouldn’t enable him to do so, but even after that war was over, his adventures would inspire many others to be better people. His leadership and training would give the Marvel Universe that many more capable heroes. His courage would become the stuff of legend in the face of impossible odds. With those three things alone, it should quite easy to see what kind of man he is. However, for all of his gifts, what happens when you take away the very thing that allows him to become an army of one? Well, that’s a question that the creative team explores in this issue. How does the answer hold up in this reviewer’s eyes? It holds up extremely well, but he sees where people could have issues with it.

The story itself begins with Steve Rogers recalling what it was like to live in Depression Era New York City, in his state. Not surprisingly we learn that Steve Rogers dealt with not just helplessness, but with being the punching bag of kids who were exceptionally cruel due to the times they all lived in. From there we not only get to see a defiant Steve Rogers, but a very determined and resourceful Steve Rogers, who puts uses his skills to the utmost limit, and shows that he’s not only more than just the Shield and Cowl, he’s more that the process that made him the Super Soldier. As a written piece Brubaker gives us yet another winner, as the whole entire issue is a masterfully told character piece, which has become a defining trademark of Brubaker’s Superhero writing, a formula that’s adaptable enough to work almost anywhere, as shown in this comic.
The art itself is mostly good stuff, as Dale Eaglesham and Andy Troy work together really well to bring this story to life. The characters are well drawn, the colors are appropriate for the setting, and the depression era stuff really stands out, as the use of a dimmer color set helps to break up the action. It also helps that it the transitions between the 30’s and the present day are all done in a seemless manner. It’s not all positive though, as there is one place where the reviewer feels that the art does not hold up, and that’s with the drawing of Steve Rogers as a Vita-Ray deprived man. At some point Steve is drawn as how you would imagine him as a 98 pound-weaking, and at other points he is seemingly drawn with a lot more muscle, with little to explain it. It wouldn’t be so jarring of weakness, if it wasn’t connected with an issue that may break this book for some.

Now, no one should be surprised that Steve Rogers ends up besting his captives. Thugs in comics are hardly a serious threat, especially when you’re as skilled as him. However, some people are going to have problems with how he does it. Now, as someone who does have Black Belt in a Marital Art (only stopped due to monetary issues), I can see that someone who has trained with the ferocity and the dedication that Steve Rogers has to have enough physical strength and muscle memory for well aimed and timed moves that go for certain parts of the body that would disable his opponents long enough to think of his next move. (Not to mention that with that training, he wouldn’t be your standard 98 pound weakling,) However, I can see where someone wouldn’t buy this at face value, which would justifiably affect their enjoyment.

In spite of those issues, however, this is still a solid comic book, which is propped up by Brubaker’s narrative, and the stand-up work of Eaglesham and Troy. At the end of the day, this is another limited series being written for a trade pay-day, but it is still a solid read which will be enjoyed by Steve Rogers and Action fans alike.

The Verdict
Writing **** (8 out of 10): Brubaker knows how to tell a story, and it shows in this book. It is a great look for anyone who thinks that Steve is just a Serum that gives him big muscles. However, some aren’t going to like how the fight scene played out, which is completely understandable.

Art: ***1/4 (6.5 out of 10): A good effort by the art team pays off here. Despite some miscues with Steve, the art is still more than serviceable, and adds to the story that Brubaker is telling.

Accessibility: ***1/2 (7 out of 10): The recap provides you with what you need to know as far as the story goes if you haven’t been following, so you won’t be totally lost out there. Saving this score, immensely.

Final Judgment: ***3/4 (7.5 out of 10)

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 pm

Posting here so I can find this thread again when this arrives with my Box for the month :smt026

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:14 am

I've read the book, but can't quite muster up feelings to review it. It was pretty well done stuff, but nothing too exciting or game changing. It'd probably get a seven but the review might as well be the word 'competent' in big letters.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand