Advertisement

Peeing in Your Shower: Deviating the Plot - Local

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Peeing in Your Shower: Deviating the Plot - Local

Postby Keb » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 pm

Hey everyone. My latest piece is up for reading/scrutiny. It's about the Brian Wood & Ryan Kelly series Local and focuses on the plot. You can read it here. It's not nearly as literature-based as the previous Hellboy installments, more along the lines of the first piece I did.

It can be read here.

Next week I'm kind of launching into a theme that will run for a few weeks.
SHABBA!

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 274 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:03 am

I think you hit the nail on the head here: Megan is just not interesting enough to base a whole series upon. Though what also comes into question is how the book was conceived if Megan wasn't initially as important: did Wood have any idea what story or stories he was telling when he started out.

I've said before that I'm not a fan of Brian Wood, and I think this book very much exemplifies why that is.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:33 am

Running back to Hawk's old point about Brian Wood just wanting to be indie-cool all the time, I think that's what Wood's aim was. He was going to put out a cool independently published book about something that wasn't ground-breaking/earth-shattering, but something that the average hipster could pick up and swear by (yes, I'll play to the role of average hipster even though I'm too overweight for the clothes...).
SHABBA!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 274 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:29 am

...which is the equivalent of the kid in the back of the classroom trying too hard to be cool and edgy, while secretly wishing he had more friends.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby misac » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Reading that actually made me want to read it. I already passed up pre-ordering the trade so I don't think I'll pick it up later on.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:33 pm

misac wrote:Reading that actually made me want to read it. I already passed up pre-ordering the trade so I don't think I'll pick it up later on.
I think you should. For what it's worth, it's a good series with a GREAT initial concept. Megan McKeenan ruins it for me though. Despite my bitchiness, Brian Wood can write a good comic, and does for I'd say at least half the series. The art is the real seller though.

There's a big hardcover coming out in September isn't there?
SHABBA!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand