Advertisement

Review Group Week 241 - NEMESIS #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Review Group Week 241 - NEMESIS #3

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:32 pm

It's all cool now, see!

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:07 pm

GHERU wrote:would like to sincerely apologize to Punchy.
I took a bad mood (woken up against my will to a broken coffee maker where the person responsibly did not see why I thought that maybe they should have gone out to get some :smt013 ) ...

Broken coffee makers are responsible for a large part of the world's problems, I am convinced.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:31 pm

John Snow wrote:Nemesis #3

Of the three issues of Nemesis so far, this was the least sucky but only because Millar is going out of his way to try and shock the reader and that's all Millar's got anymore. Shock. Reading Nemesis it's clear Millar's only reason for doing this is to try and spin it into another Kick Ass. This reads like slightly more elaborate storyboards and it makes for very uninspired comic booking. There's no depth in the characters and I kind of doubt this is anyone's first comic where the villain is the main focus of the series.

I hope Steve McNiven hasn't had a falling out with Dexter Vines and Morry Hollowell because his work becomes a lot less exciting without them. Certainly they couldn't have helped the boring widescreen storytelling but they would have added the depth and texture that Nemesis is lacking.

Having not read this before it got picked for the RG, I would have bought the eventual trade sight unseen. The biggest shock Millar and McNiven have provided with Nemesis is just how underwhelming a comic these two have come up with.

Story: 1
Art: 6
Overall: 3.5

I agree with Mr. John Snow. McNiven needs an inker. He is a horrible incompetent inker, who uses the same line for every illustration. It looks flat and lifeless and amateurish.

Story: 3
Art: 3
Overall: 3

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm reading this in Clint, so I've only got the first two issues but here's my thoughts on the series so far.

It's all very by the numbers over the top Millar fare. I mean for what it is, it's enjoyable, but at the same time, whilst everything doesn't need to be high art, I'd like it to be a bit deeper than this what I've read so far, and I'd like to see everything toned down a little bit.

I mean in the first issue when you've kidnapped the president after some scheme with kidnapping Air force one and in the second issue you've somehow killed every single member of the Pentagon then there you're just thinking how much more can this guy really do. I just think that Millar's tendancy to go over the top so early on in a story can sort of ruin any tension.

I think back to my favorite bits of Millars work like Ultimates and OML (admittedly the only other works I've read of his other than th e odd bits of Kick Ass series 2) and it seems so cool because he's taking these established characters and doing something fun and over the top with them. In something like this it just seems like it's not plausible, and I don't think it's that revolutionary.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Punchy wrote:
That's not what this thread was about, I disagree with Jude and VS and Zero's opinion on this book for sure, but those discussions have been civil and normal. Jude welcomes the opposing opinion, he's said so.

The drama here was caused by GHERU ridiculously overreacting to a throwaway comment

This.

I don't understand why there is such a huff over what Punchy said :smt102

I could give a shit if someone in another thread called the review group a bunch of idiots...

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 503 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:09 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:This.

I don't understand why there is such a huff over what Punchy said :smt102

I could give a shit if someone in another thread called the review group a bunch of idiots...

This whole site is nothing but idiots.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:12 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:This whole site is nothing but idiots.

reported.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:51 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:This whole site is nothing but idiots.

well congratulations... DAD! :lol:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Note: This is the only issue of this book I've read.

Beyond some manic fun in seeing the main character scheming and gleefully slaughter an entire squadron of trained prison guards, there really isn't much about this issue that holds much impact. It's all so shallow and pretty meaningless that the comic simply lies there limp. The artwork is similarly uninteresting. It's competent and looks nice, and certainly flashy, but Steve McNiven's pencils have always been pretty weightless, and this is no exception. There are few pencillers in comics who are as dependent on the inker and colorist as he is, and he isn't done any favors here.

Ultimately, Nemesis is a rather unsatisfying, superficial read.

4/10.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:21 am

normally, I would refrain from commenting as I have yet to read or review the titular book, but could someone give me cliff notes or tell me what page all this chaos starts on?
Thanks.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:37 am

yeah, I read about four pages of that shit. I have decided I don't care.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 am

so reading a few more pages, I feel justified in continuing to ignore punchy.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:08 am

thefourthman wrote:so reading a few more pages, I feel justified in continuing to ignore punchy.

:roll:

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Nemesis #3

Is Nemesis the smartest bad guy of all time? Is everyone in this book an unlikable asshole? Is Mark Millar already counting his potential millions from the Movie Deal this book already has? Let’s see how these 3 all come together to make this a less than satisfying read.

Controversy Creates Cash. This term has become famous, due to the book that Eric Bischoff (former Wrestling Executive) released in 2006, chronicling his career from its humble beginnings to the Monday Night Wars that raged on Cable Television in the 1990’s. It is also a term that described his overall strategy during those wars, where it didn’t matter to him whether the press was good or bad, all that matter was that you couldn’t look away, because you wanted to see what happened next. It was something that worked until his promotion could no longer shrug away the structural problems that would bring it to its ruin. Despite that, however, it is a strategy that is still used to this day in entertainment, and it is one of the techniques that are used to sell many comic books today. However, there is one man that probably stands head and shoulders above in using this tactic, and his name is Mark Millar

As for the man himself, Mark Millar is probably the most controversial and polarizing figure in Comic Books today. In this reviewer’s time lurking and posting on many of the comic book forums on the Internet (along with his time on the Convention Scene), he has noticed that very few people have middling opinions on the man. Most of time, he is either greatly loved or savagely reviled. Even those who don’t love all of his work, find that the ones they do love or some of the hallmarks of the decade, and the ones they hate to be some of the worst stuff they’ve ever read, or spent money on. A trend that will probably continue with his latest series, Nemesis which has been published in a joint venture between Marvel’s Icon, and Millar’s own Millarworld imprint. What did the review think of this issue? It’s safe to say that my thoughts will be a lot closer to reviled than loved.

As for the title character himself, Nemesis is driven by a single goal. Revenge against the police officer (Blake Morrow) that ruined his happy little childhood by exposing the criminal activities of his parents. His form of acting out, being this World’s only Super Villain, causing untold damage, and killing tons of people. The current issue in question starts with Nemesis being arrested, and taken to a Maximum Security Prison. From there we see….

- Nemesis escaping from his shackles with help from his gang.

- Nemesis killing nearly 100 Prison Guards with his bare hands, freeing all 2,000 Prisoners and blowing up the prison he was to be incarcerated in.

- Nemesis kidnapping Blake Morrow’s children, and forcing him and his wife to reveal 3 of the family’s darkest secrets.

- Nemesis artificially inseminating Morrow’s daughter with his own Son’s Semen, and wiring her Womb to collapse if they try to abort the child.

What you see here is what you are getting, ladies and gentlemen. Those 4 points consist of 95% of the story presented here. If you are looking for any nuances, deeper meanings, and compelling storytelling, then you aren’t reading the right comic. This isn’t to say that this comic has a bad story because of its face value storytelling; it’s for reasons beyond that. First of all, Nemesis escapes during a Press Conference where Homeland Security not only brags like a Teenage male who got his first lay with a cheerleader, but ends up discounting his gang at the same time. Seemingly forgetting that Nemesis came into the game with Billions of Dollars that he could’ve used to train his gang in everything they would need to bust him out of jail. It shatters the belief that Nemesis is really that much smarter than his competition, because that sequence of events exposes them to be so damn stupid, they make the New York Mets ownership look intelligent.

Also, one cannot talk about this story without talking about the relationship that Blake Morrow has with his family. We find out that Blake is so obsessed with his job that not only did his wife cheat on him during the first 18 months of their Marriage; he went without the knowledge that his Son was Gay, and that his daughter had an Abortion. The way this is all portrayed, it doesn’t make Blake Morrow a protagonist worth cheering for. It just makes him look like he’s thrown away his life in pursuit of a man that continues to undermine the very thing he protects, and if he does catch him, he is left with nothing afterward. It also doesn’t help that his wife is actually a nasty person who didn’t have the guts to not marry him, or leave him after she realized who he was. If Blake Morrow was modeled after John McLain, Mark Millar forgot to make him likable.

As for the art in this comic book, we have quite a paradox, as the art itself isn’t bad, but the colors and the inking is. Steve McNiven does a good job drawing everyone as their own character, and it shows. The Black and White drawings of the covers on the back of the book show how good his work looks without colors, and truly makes the internals looks worse. I don’t know what happened during production, but his work suffers because of it.

What is most interesting about this whole entire thing is that the Movie rights have already been optioned off by 20th Century Fox, where it stands to become the fastest a comic book property has been converted into a movie. When you take that into consideration, you can see where the lack of effort in the overall product comes from. Why put any into this when you already counting the money you stand to make from this. Even if the movie is a flop, the book will still make a pretty penny due to the Creator's name alone. I’m sure the creative team took that into consideration when they made this comic, and I’m going to take that into consideration when rating this book.

The Verdict
Story: * (2): Nemesis continues to win over opponents that would insult most videogame AI on Retarded Easy. It wasn’t fun in the first issue, and it hasn’t gotten fun now

Art: **1/2 (5): The pencils are done really well. Too bad the colors fail in showing that.

Accessibility: *** (6): On its own, there isn’t much you need to know, but you need to read the other 2 issues to fully understand where we are now. Otherwise, this will be just a mindless action film in comic book form.

Final Judgment: *3/4 (3.5)
Last edited by SilverPhoenix on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Somewhere in here, Eli picked...

Franken-Castle #21
selected by Eli Katz
WRITER: RICK REMENDER
PENCILS: Dan Brereton, Andrea Mutti

The shocking conclusion of the FrankenCastle era! After his brutal struggle to kill Daken in Tokyo, the Punisher is in rough shape. In order to restore his health, hacker comrade Henry Russo sends Frank to the nearest remote place he can find -- Monster Island. However, as his body heals, Frank's mind begins to fade into madness. Someone needs to take him down. Someone named Elsa Bloodstone. Parental Advisory $3.99

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand