Wednesday, September 28, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Because comics!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 242 - FRANKEN-CASTLE #21

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:and showed your lack of faith in your friends... or wanted to avoid accusations from Punchy that you had been coerced.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
which means you were a pussy either way! :P

You hit below the belt, you dirty fucker.
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:15 am

I had the worst week so that's why I picked the most shitty book possible. It is your duty as a non-retarded human being, Eli Katz, to choose Franken-Castle.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:00 am

At least we weren't shafted with the middle of an arc, or a book we can't find or yet another issue of comics we've done several times. That covers all three books I'm picking up.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:05 am

It's my choice next week eh?

I'm thinking of Ultimate Comics Thor #1, or maybe Uncanny X-Force #1.

But hold on? Is that a Spider-Man/Howard The Duck one-shot? Could be too tempting to pass up.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:23 am

Pick Thor Punchy, Pick it like a polaroid picture.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:24 am

Zero wrote:Pick Thor Punchy, Pick it like a polaroid picture.


I'm not sure I want to contribute to the Hickman backlash.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:01 am

You contributed pretty hard during SHIELD #2 week.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:29 am

Zero wrote:You contributed pretty hard during SHIELD #2 week.


I gave it a 6! A decent score.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Someone in the Podcast called us "the comic book equivalent of a political thread." I think that should become the new tagline.
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:49 pm

thefourthman wrote:Someone in the Podcast called us "the comic book equivalent of a political thread." I think that should become the new tagline.

That's hilarious and true. We could also be called "Punchy vs. the World."
User avatar

48THRiLLS

Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:50 pm

Punchy wrote:It's my choice next week eh?

I'm thinking of Ultimate Comics Thor #1, or maybe Uncanny X-Force #1.

But hold on? Is that a Spider-Man/Howard The Duck one-shot? Could be too tempting to pass up.


Chaos War #1 8)
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:53 pm

I vote Uncanny X-Force other than it would mean two remender books in a row and I already pre-ordered it but It looks to be an awesome book, Ultimate thor has Pacheco...but he hasn't been good since after Superman/Batman.

******

Postby ****** » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:26 pm

The Tom Beland/Juan Doe books are always fun but that probably doesn't meet Punchy's populist requirements.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Image
FANTASTIC FOUR IN...ATAQUE DEL M.O.D.O.K.! # 1
The Story: M.O.D.O.K.! Monkeys! Mayhem! Marvel�s First Family returns to Puerto Rico! There�s no such thing as a relaxing vacation for Reed Richards and Sue Storm. They thought they were getting off easy with just having to fight an out-of-control Dragon Man in an exploding oil refinery�but when the monstrous evil genius M.O.D.O.K. hatches a plan involving genetically enhanced monkeys, our heroes will be up to their ears in it! And will they be helped or hindered by the mysterious Puerto Rican figure known only as�El Vejigante?
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:33 pm

John Snow wrote:The Tom Beland/Juan Doe books are always fun but that probably doesn't meet Punchy's populist requirements.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Image
FANTASTIC FOUR IN...ATAQUE DEL M.O.D.O.K.! # 1
The Story: M.O.D.O.K.! Monkeys! Mayhem! Marvel�s First Family returns to Puerto Rico! There�s no such thing as a relaxing vacation for Reed Richards and Sue Storm. They thought they were getting off easy with just having to fight an out-of-control Dragon Man in an exploding oil refinery�but when the monstrous evil genius M.O.D.O.K. hatches a plan involving genetically enhanced monkeys, our heroes will be up to their ears in it! And will they be helped or hindered by the mysterious Puerto Rican figure known only as�El Vejigante?

hush, you! that one would be hard to boycott, I would want to review in broken free translation spanish.

Royal Nonesuch

Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:56 pm

The first thing that strikes you about Frank-Castle #21 is Dan Brereton's artwork. He's probably the most underrated comic book painter out there, and here he lives up to his reputation as modern day pulp incarnate. He does a gorgeous job with Franken-Castle on Monster Island. The story is solid, but starts to wear towards the end. Remender get to his "out" quickly enough, and spends the rest of the issue showing Castle's struggles with the Bloodstone. The appearance by Else Bloodstone is welcome, as she always is, but it feels like the story achieved everything it set out to do with some page space to spare, and thus starts to drag for the last few pages before finally getting to its ending. Also, Frank's first person narration is fine, but really gets distracting in parts.

The back up story reestablishes the status quo of The Punisher. He's back to killing thugs on the streets in his traditional uniform, and he does so with some gusto. It's always good to see Frank Castle doing what he does best, and we'll obviously be doing more of that.

My score: 8. A solid enough comic book with a good resolution, elevated by wonderful artwork.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests