Advertisement

Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 71148
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 663 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby sdsichero » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Well since Greg was mentioning the lack of Halloween spirit here... and I was musing about the upcoming Gamma World revised game from WotC, I thought I'd start a thread. It's not strictly a Halloween thread but it involves monsters.

I'm a big old kid. Almost anything I like today has a basis in my childhood. One of the things I know I was fascinated about ever since I was a kid was monsters/creatures.

I remember when I was a young boy, my grandma reading to me old tales of Japanese folklore. Sure I liked the heroes like Momotaro, but I think I was more interested in the pictures of the oni and tengu and all the stuff that was in the chest in the Urashima Taro story. When I started reading about dinosaurs and creatures of the abyssal plains it made me want to study monster-like creatures even more. I would wait in anticipation for the weekly kaijin to show up on the late afternoon tokusatsu shows to watch Kikaider & Kamen Rider V3 beat them up. And my mind almost exploded in '77 when I saw the Monster Manual and the Star Wars cantina scene in the same year.

So I thought I'd start a thread about creatures and monsters; both real and imagined. If any of you like that sort of stuff (I hope there are other folks besides me here) please post.

Funny, I love old cheesy monster films and comics (though I really love the designs of the old Marvel monsters more than their stories), dinosaurs, deep sea creatures, weird insects, kaijin and kaiju... but never got into vampires or zombies both currently popular...

Well hope some other folks have some they'd like to post about.

Advertisement

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 71148
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 663 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby sdsichero » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm

I saw this dinosaur a little while ago and thought... "Hey, that's X-23!" Heh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaur_(dinosaur)

Balaur bondoc (Romanian pronunciation: [baˈla.ur bonˈdok][2]) is a uniquely specialized species of carnivorous (theropod) dinosaur. It lived in what is now Romania during the latter part of the Late Cretaceous. Balaur was described by scientists in August 2010, and was named after the balaur, a dragon of Romanian folklore. It is known from a single partial skeleton representing the type specimen. Having been described as a "beefy version of the predatory Velociraptor",[3] its name is Romanian for 'stocky dragon'.

Seventy million years ago, world sea levels were higher, and the location where its fossils are found was an off-shore part of the European archipelago called Haţeg Island. Unlike its other relatives within the dromaeosaur family, which includes Velociraptor, Deinonychus, and the four-winged Microraptor gui, this raptor had not just one but two large, retractable, sickle-shaped claws on each foot, and its limbs were proportionally shorter and heavier than those of its other relatives. Given these and nearly twenty other derived traits, the new genus Balaur was created for this one species. As with other dinosaurs from Haţeg, such as Magyarosaurus, a dwarf sauropod,[4] its aberrant features are argued to show the effects of its island habitat on its evolution.


Image

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41960
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby Strict31 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Goddamn Goblin Sharks, man.

Image

Their fucking entire jaw extends forward. Normally, they look like a fairly regular shark until those jaws whip out. The first I ever heard about these things was on some Sci-Fi channel monster movie shitfest, and I said to myself. "No. No, there's no way that's an actual thing." But it is.

Then, there's the Frilled Shark, which sounds like some wussy bitch-tittied shark that favors ruffles and lace, but which looks like a cross between a shark, an eel and a much more fucked up looking shark:

Image

and which has teeth that look the fuck like this:

Image

It's creatures like this that prove there is no God, because I don't know who in the fuck could have created this shit, if they were all loving and what-not. Don't even get me started on Architeuthis Rex. A giant goddamn squid with swiveling hooks instead of suckers?

Are you shitting me?

The entire reason I started eating fried calamari was just so I could say I ate something that preys upon humans. If i ever get devoured by a giant squid, my last words will be "Yeah bitch, but I ate more of you than you ate of me!"

Why does this muthafucka need hooks? That swivel?

That's why sperm whales are cool. Not because they have an awesome name that caused me no end of amusement as a kid. But because they throw the fuck down with the Architeuthis Rex and whup its ass. And eat the giant fuckfaced bastards.

So, I dunno. Those are some real-ass monsters. Even Godzilla looks at these muthafuckas like, "Dude. Serious?"
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35013
Likes: 236 posts
Liked in: 158 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby misac » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:43 pm

How can someone not like vampires? What's the matter with you? They're probably my favorite monsters but at certain times when I was a kid I liked werewolves just as much or maybe a little more.

The problem with werewolves is that their look is very inconsistent in movies. They rarely look cool. I think I prefer when they just turn into wolves.

My favorite giant monster is Gamera. I always liked the huge defensive value his shell gave him. And he can fly!
Image

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 71148
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 663 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby sdsichero » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Strict31 wrote:Goddamn Goblin Sharks, man.

Image

Their fucking entire jaw extends forward. Normally, they look like a fairly regular shark until those jaws whip out. The first I ever heard about these things was on some Sci-Fi channel monster movie shitfest, and I said to myself. "No. No, there's no way that's an actual thing." But it is.

Then, there's the Frilled Shark, which sounds like some wussy bitch-tittied shark that favors ruffles and lace, but which looks like a cross between a shark, an eel and a much more fucked up looking shark:

Image

and which has teeth that look the fuck like this:

Image

It's creatures like this that prove there is no God, because I don't know who in the fuck could have created this shit, if they were all loving and what-not. Don't even get me started on Architeuthis Rex. A giant goddamn squid with swiveling hooks instead of suckers?

Are you shitting me?

The entire reason I started eating fried calamari was just so I could say I ate something that preys upon humans. If i ever get devoured by a giant squid, my last words will be "Yeah bitch, but I ate more of you than you ate of me!"

Why does this muthafucka need hooks? That swivel?

That's why sperm whales are cool. Not because they have an awesome name that caused me no end of amusement as a kid. But because they throw the fuck down with the Architeuthis Rex and whup its ass. And eat the giant fuckfaced bastards.

So, I dunno. Those are some real-ass monsters. Even Godzilla looks at these muthafuckas like, "Dude. Serious?"



Cool.

Speaking of cool/freaky jaws, the dragonfly nymph has a kick ass set of jaws...

(about 2:20 in)


And of course there's a god silly...

Image

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 71148
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 663 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby sdsichero » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:00 pm

misac wrote:How can someone not like vampires? What's the matter with you? They're probably my favorite monsters but at certain times when I was a kid I liked werewolves just as much or maybe a little more.

The problem with werewolves is that their look is very inconsistent in movies. They rarely look cool. I think I prefer when they just turn into wolves.

My favorite giant monster is Gamera. I always liked the huge defensive value his shell gave him. And he can fly!


What't the matter with me? I'm not lame I guess.

:P

Dunno, just never got into them. Guess my first exposure was the old Universal monsters type... guy with a white face, fangs and a tux. *shrug* boring. Only cool vampire is Dracula from Billy and Mandy.

I like Gamera too. He was death blossom before death blossom was cool.

I also liked the designs of Gigan and Megalon. Ghidora has a cool design too.

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 71148
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 663 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby sdsichero » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:58 pm

I love models but were never really good at making them.

I don't think I had any of these, but I remember wanting them...

http://www.professorplastik.com/monster_site/proscenium/kits/xtrakits/otherlabelkits/mpc/gigantics/gigankits.htm

Image

Image

Image

Image

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41960
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby Strict31 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:59 am

sdsichero wrote:and I was musing about the upcoming Gamma World revised game from WotC,


Image

by Mike Faille
Title: Gamma World Monsters 1
Client: Wizards Of The Coast
Art Director: Jon Schindehette
Print size: 8" x 10" @ 450 ppi
Medium: Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3
©2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC.

I had the distinct pleasure of illustrating no less than 75 monsters for Wizards' upcoming game: Gamma Wolrd! Here is the first and only page I can show at this time. Gamma World comes out October 19! I'll post more monsters then.


Goddamn land shark...
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 71148
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 663 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby sdsichero » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Image

by Mike Faille


Goddamn land shark...


Awesome.

Image

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 71148
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 663 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby sdsichero » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Oh yeah and misac, I forgot I do like another vampire. The vampire squid!


Chubbles
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 12098
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby Chubbles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:25 pm

scariest monster to me as a kid was the Blob. That fucking thing could go under the door, up the sink, hide in the ceiling and keeps getting bigger the more it eats...that's some scary shit

my favorite monsters were the ants from Them, i dunno why but i love those things

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35013
Likes: 236 posts
Liked in: 158 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby misac » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:26 pm

sdsichero wrote:
What't the matter with me? I'm not lame I guess.

:P

Dunno, just never got into them. Guess my first exposure was the old Universal monsters type... guy with a white face, fangs and a tux. *shrug* boring. Only cool vampire is Dracula from Billy and Mandy.

I like Gamera too. He was death blossom before death blossom was cool.

I also liked the designs of Gigan and Megalon. Ghidora has a cool design too.


There was always Tomb of Dracula! And the Hammer Dracula movies.
Image

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35013
Likes: 236 posts
Liked in: 158 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby misac » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 pm

sdsichero wrote:I love models but were never really good at making them.

I don't think I had any of these, but I remember wanting them...

http://www.professorplastik.com/monster_site/proscenium/kits/xtrakits/otherlabelkits/mpc/gigantics/gigankits.htm

Image

Image

Image

Image


I remember seeing these at K-Mart.
Image

Chubbles
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 12098
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby Chubbles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:34 pm

if they ever make a film about giant cockroaches i may just kill myself

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 71148
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 663 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby sdsichero » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Chubbles wrote:if they ever make a film about giant cockroaches i may just kill myself



leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 55 guests

Advertisement