Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Ultimate Comics Thor #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Re: Review Group Week 243 - ULTIMATE COMICS THOR #1

Postby Frag » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Good issue.

Interesting take on the Warriors Three.

I thought the frost giants wearing nazi outfits was kind of dumb.

Hooked me just enough for one more issue. Why did they never show Donald Blake's face?

7/10
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:57 am

A lot of books have been doing a double page spread for the credits lately, I believe Superior #1 has one too.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 am

Ultimate Comics Thor #1(of 4) - 'Ultimate Thor' - Hickman, Pacheco and Vines

Story - If there's one word which sums up the first issue of Ultimate Comics Thor, it's this;

Disjointed.

What we have here is quite possibly a good comic, but it reads more like 3 alright comics. Hickman and Pacheco have set up 3 timelines here, and they seem at the moment rather disconnected.

The first of these timelines is described as 'Now', but is actually a few years ago in the Ultimate Universe, when Thor was in the custody of the European Union of Super-Heroes. We get a nice guest-appearance from Ultimate Captain Britain, and then... Donald Blake shows up to talk to Thor. As fans of regular Thor will know, Donald Blake and Thor are one and the same, so it's an interesting twist to have them be separate people in the Ultimate Universe. Interestingly we never actually see Blake's face, which indicates there could be a twist to come.

The second timeline is during WW2, and is set to involve a battle between Thor and a group of Nazis led by Baron Zemo. I'm surprised we haven't seen Thor take on Nazis beforehand, as it's a very good idea. Hitler was obsessed with the Occult as we all know, and there is a certain Norseness to their Aryan ideals, so it'll be good to see them get a good hammering. But this is completely disconnected from the story set in the present, what does it have to do with Thor and Blake in Brussels? Hickman also gets to play with symbols again, one of his favourite things.

The final timeline is set aaaaages ago in Asgard, and features teenaged Thor battling Frost Giants alongside his brothers Loki and Balder, forming the Ultimate Warriors Three, which is a cool nod, but I want some Ultimate Volstagg action! Once again, this is well done, but what does it have to do with Thor Vs Nazis? Or Thor in the present? At the moment, it seems like Hickman had 3 ideas of what kind of Ultimate Thor story he wanted to tell, but wasn't sure which was best, so he just did all 3.

Hopefully the next 3 issues will make these seemingly disparate story threads come together and make sense, there are references to a 'Poetic Edda' throughout, so that could definitely have some importance. But do we trust Hickman to bring it all together? Most of his other books have this same problem of disconnectedness, Fantastic Four has only just begun to tie the threads together, but is 3 issues enough?

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this issue, each segment was strong enough on it's own, but when there seems to be no reason why they are together, it makes an unsatisfying whole.

Art - Carlos Pacheco makes his second foray into the Ultimate Universe, after Ultimate Avengers 1, and his work is as reliable as usual. I did feel at times that Dexter Vines' inks were a bit too heavy. Pacheco misses Jesus Merino, who elected to stay at DC. Not his peak, but still strong, and a perfect fit for Thor.

Best Line - 'The world tree burns... surely this is the end of all things' Suitably ominous.

7/10
Last edited by Punchy on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 60 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 am

Punchy wrote:it makes an unsatisfying hole.

Ooooooooooh yeeeeaaaah

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:04 am

Punchy wrote:A lot of books have been doing a double page spread for the credits lately, I believe Superior #1 has one too.

Yikes. Really? That's terrible. Why are creators using new gimmicks to decompress comics further?

I'm tired of inefficient storytelling in comics.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:45 am

Eli Katz wrote:Yikes. Really? That's terrible. Why are creators using new gimmicks to decompress comics further?

I'm tired of inefficient storytelling in comics.

I don't think it takes the place of story pages.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:58 pm

Zero wrote:
Ooooooooooh yeeeeaaaah

Oops, edited.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm leaning towards Knight and Squire #1 for next week's pick, but I'm open to suggestions.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:55 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I'm leaning towards Knight and Squire #1 for next week's pick, but I'm open to suggestions.

Knight and Squire seems like the most likely selection to be awesome.

That or Tomb of Terror would be my pick.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 390 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:58 pm

John Snow wrote:

From a selfish point of view I'd prefer Tomb of Terror because I'll be getting that one. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:59 pm

John Snow wrote:

There's a lot of good books out next week, but a lot of them are in mid-arc or have been reviewed in the not distant past.

I also was thinking about Victorian Undead Special.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 390 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:02 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
There's a lot of good books out next week, but a lot of them are in mid-arc or have been reviewed in the not distant past.

I think that would be a really good choice.

Thank you Troy for the sig

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Punchy wrote:Ultimate Comics Thor #1(of 4) - 'Ultimate Thor' - Hickman, Pacheco and Vines

Story - If there's one word which sums up the first issue of Ultimate Comics Thor, it's this;

Disjointed.

What we have here is quite possibly a good comic, but it reads more like 3 alright comics. Hickman and Pacheco have set up 3 timelines here, and they seem at the moment rather disconnected.

The first of these timelines is described as 'Now', but is actually a few years ago in the Ultimate Universe, when Thor was in the custody of the European Union of Super-Heroes. We get a nice guest-appearance from Ultimate Captain Britain, and then... Donald Blake shows up to talk to Thor. As fans of regular Thor will know, Donald Blake and Thor are one and the same, so it's an interesting twist to have them be separate people in the Ultimate Universe. Interestingly we never actually see Blake's face, which indicates there could be a twist to come.

The second timeline is during WW2, and is set to involve a battle between Thor and a group of Nazis led by Baron Zemo. I'm surprised we haven't seen Thor take on Nazis beforehand, as it's a very good idea. Hitler was obsessed with the Occult as we all know, and there is a certain Norseness to their Aryan ideals, so it'll be good to see them get a good hammering. But this is completely disconnected from the story set in the present, what does it have to do with Thor and Blake in Brussels? Hickman also gets to play with symbols again, one of his favourite things.

The final timeline is set aaaaages ago in Asgard, and features teenaged Thor battling Frost Giants alongside his brothers Loki and Balder, forming the Ultimate Warriors Three, which is a cool nod, but I want some Ultimate Volstagg action! Once again, this is well done, but what does it have to do with Thor Vs Nazis? Or Thor in the present? At the moment, it seems like Hickman had 3 ideas of what kind of Ultimate Thor story he wanted to tell, but wasn't sure which was best, so he just did all 3.

Hopefully the next 3 issues will make these seemingly disparate story threads come together and make sense, there are references to a 'Poetic Edda' throughout, so that could definitely have some importance. But do we trust Hickman to bring it all together? Most of his other books have this same problem of disconnectedness, Fantastic Four has only just begun to tie the threads together, but is 3 issues enough?

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this issue, each segment was strong enough on it's own, but when there seems to be no reason why they are together, it makes an unsatisfying whole.

Art - Carlos Pacheco makes his second foray into the Ultimate Universe, after Ultimate Avengers 1, and his work is as reliable as usual. I did feel at times that Dexter Vines' inks were a bit too heavy. Pacheco misses Jesus Merino, who elected to stay at DC. Not his peak, but still strong, and a perfect fit for Thor.

Best Line - 'The world tree burns... surely this is the end of all things' Suitably ominous.

7/10

You give a comic a bad review and it scores a 7? You can complain about my reviewing all you want but if something sucks say it sucks. A 7 for "disjointed" story really shows you sucking the marvel teet.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:13 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
You give a comic a bad review and it scores a 7? You can complain about my reviewing all you want but if something sucks say it sucks. A 7 for "disjointed" story really shows you sucking the marvel teet.

I said I enjoyed it, but had some problems with it. That's a 7.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:15 pm

BlueStreak wrote:

yes, please.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand