Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Ultimate Comics Thor #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week 243 - ULTIMATE COMICS THOR #1

Postby thefourthman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:26 am

Sorry to post in this thread.
Sorry to be off topic.
What the fuck are we reading next week?
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:42 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
:?

You already said if his Godhood or identity were in doubt, the "Now" part of Ultimate Thor has to take place before Ultimatum--in your words it would have to take place before the end of Ultimates 2. That isn't now in Ultimate Universe! It's well in the past of the UU timeline.

Maybe something happens in New Ultimates #4 or #5 to put it back into doubt?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 am

GOFM wrote:Sorry to post in this thread.
Sorry to be off topic.

Coward.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week 243 - ULTIMATE COMICS THOR #1

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:45 am

GOFM wrote:Sorry to post in this thread.
Sorry to be off topic.

Victorian Undead Special #1

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:46 am

BlueStreak wrote:Victorian Undead Special #1

Don't tell him!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:41 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Upon sleeping on it, I'm going with Victorian Undead

Good choice.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Punchy wrote:
Maybe something happens in New Ultimates #4 or #5 to put it back into doubt?

I have no idea, but that's why I interjected into the exchange between you and Sky--whatever "Now" it's supposed to be, he still is being viewed as a loony in it.

Weren't there differences between Ultimates 2 and Ultimates 3 Thors? Subtle ones, did he have a different hammer or something? Maybe this will explain it. A return to Asgard and a sort of reThorification?

Is it me or does the pen "Don Blake" (not convinced it's him) hands him have more runes on it?

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:48 am

Just found a copy of this, I'm interested to see how Hickman will write a four issue mini series. Review to follow.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:42 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I have no idea, but that's why I interjected into the exchange between you and Sky--whatever "Now" it's supposed to be, he still is being viewed as a loony in it.

Weren't there differences between Ultimates 2 and Ultimates 3 Thors? Subtle ones, did he have a different hammer or something? Maybe this will explain it. A return to Asgard and a sort of reThorification?

Is it me or does the pen "Don Blake" (not convinced it's him) hands him have more runes on it?

Loeb's Thor was more like the 616 Thor, speaking in Shakespearean dialogue for example, he rationalised this as because now the whole world knew he was actually Thor, he didn't have to hide his real speech patterns. He did have a different Hammer but I think he still had the Axe one as well.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 am

Ultimate Thor is the perfect example to what went wrong with the Marvel universe. Once hailed as a tighter, newer, more realistic version of the Marvel universe, it now features as many multiple characters and fuzzy continuity as its mainstream counterpart. I was a huge fan of the early Ultimate universe but after Ultimates 2, the only quality that the Ultimate universe has left is the great Ultimate Spider-Man book by Bendis.

Anyways, Ultimate Thor is another nail in the coffin for the Ultimate Universe. The book is sloppy, choppy and has only vague inclinations to where it fits in into the larger Marvel universe. Hickman continues to disappoint in writing any title not named Secret Warriors. Pacheco’s art is the only highlight, and even that is tempered by the weaker than usual inking.

Overall, 6 out of 10.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 580 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:50 am

Ultimate Thor #1

Right off the bat, after seeing this was by Hickman, I had to forget his other work (which I'm not a fan off) and try to read this as a unique item forgetting he was the writer.

Kind of hard to do with the two page credits. He seems, to me, to think he's the second coming or something. He's not, as the jumbled mess this story begins with is proof of.

First issues should be about making the reader want to see the next and I don't want to after reading this.

I have no idea who this Thor is. Is he a psyche patient or a warrior god? Nothing here made me care to find out. I'm not familiar with Ultimate Universe so I guess that means this isn't reader friendly if I'm supposed to know all ready know this.

In both his past and present he basically says "Something's coming" and I get the feeling nobody will find out what it is for issues to come. I don't have the patience or wallet to wait that long.

And if you're going to copy so many things from the regular Marvel Universe, it would have taken 10 seconds for Hickman and the editor to know that Eitri (not Ulik) forged Mjolnir.

Art wise it's a very well drawn book but the overuse of double pages is annoying and unnecessary - just padding the story out which I'm not a fan of. I realize he's just following the writer's direction but it suffers my art score for it. "Back in the day" many of these double pages would have been a single panel allowing for actual story to take place. Sadly this is not the case today and it's really not the case with anything I've ever read by Hickman.

Writing - 2
Art - 6
Overall - 4

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:12 am

This was a pretty interesting comic. The fractured timeline was used well, and there was a lot of mystery and portent to hook onto. I liked that the story revolved so much around the Nazi appropriation of traditional Pagan symbols, and extended it in a comic-booky way. There was a lot of set-up, but it seems to be setting up something cool. Carlos Pacheco renders it all pretty well, but the inking is way too heavy, and the colors are far too drab, bringing the artwork down quite a bit. I jumped off the Ultimate Universe when it got Loeb'd, but I may stick with this story.

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Ultimate Comics Thor #1

I really wanted to not like this. Ultimate Universe? Bleh! It no longer serves any real purpose other than an excuse by Marvel to publish even more comics with big name characters. That being said, I loves me some Hickman and as it turns out my Hickman love trumps Ultimate U hate because I ended up really enjoying this.

The current day portions of this story? Just okay. I could live without the Braddock stuff. The Asgard stuff was good, but nothing that hasn't been seen in Thor comics countless times before. The WW2 Zemo stuff? Awesome! Totally unexpected and made me interested in the series as a whole.

Apart from the big two page spread in the beginning, the art was just okay. I expected more from Pacheco.

Story: 8
Art: 7
Overall: 7.5

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:49 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Upon sleeping on it, I'm going with Victorian Undead

Victorian Undead Special
as selected by Blue Streak
Written by IAN EDGINTON
Art by HORACIO DOMINGUES

The critically acclaimed series returns! London is recovering from the frightful destruction at the hands of Moriarty's undead army, and like their neighbors, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson set about rebuilding their lives. But a rash of murders leads them to believe that a zombie might have survived the quarantine and the hunt begins...leading them to the doorstep of one Dr. Jekyll!

Wildstorm | 40pg. | Color | $4.99 US

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Ultimate Thor #1
Meh. Nazis versus Thor has potential, the rest of this was just kind of all over the place for me.
Story 2
Art 3
Overall 5
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand