Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Ultimate Comics Thor #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Review Group Week 243 - ULTIMATE COMICS THOR #1

Postby Amoebas » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:06 pm

GOFM wrote:Ultimate Thor #1
Meh. Nazis versus Thor has potential, the rest of this was just kind of all over the place for me.
Story 2
Art 3
Overall 6

How do you score? Because a 2 & a 3 (imo) equals an overall of 2.5. How does this equal 6?

I'm not slamming your score just trying to figure out the process behind it.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Amoebas wrote:How do you score? Because a 2 & a 3 (imo) equals an overall of 2.5. How does this equal 6?

He adds the 2+3 to get 6.

:smt102

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Amoebas wrote:How do you score? Because a 2 & a 3 (imo) equals an overall of 2.5. How does this equal 6?

How dare you try and correct his mathematical short comings. He's from the south of course he can't count.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:56 pm

ULTIMATE THOR #1
I like Hickman. I like Pacheco, I like Thor. I should like this... but I did not. This was a jumbled mess, the 3 time lines were all over the place. The "now" time line I was lost on... I didn't read anything that led up to this so I don't know why Thor is in a hospital and who the people examining him were (except Blake). The "Germany 1939" time line I just didn't care about. Nazi's seem played out to me, aren't they already Cap's main thing? The "eons ago" time line seemed like standard Thor origin stuff (which I am fine with). I am sure all 3 of these time lines will tie in together and make sense eventually but I don't care enough about them to find out. I was really quite interested to see what the Ultimate version of Thor's origin would be like and see what Hickman does differently than his 616 origin but I guess I won't find out... good thing I don't care about the Ultimate U anyway.
...Oh yeah, the book was pretty and that was one of the few redeeming qualities.

STORY - 3

ART - 9

OVERALL - 5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 pm

I screwed up, it should have been a five. but yeah, I decided a long time ago that since the damn things are really arbitrary to begin with, coming up with two five star scores and adding them to create the ten star score saved me time effort and worry.

Postby ****** » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:00 pm

ITT: 4thy sez maths is hurd.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Ultimate comics Thor #1 (of 4)

Two complaints that I've heard a lot about this issue before I even read it was the dilution of the Ultimate universe and the fact that with this issue we see yet another Thor book on the stands in time for the Movie soon to come out. To be honest these two things stopped me from pre-ordering this title when I had the chance.

Ultimate Thor has been a varying character from his initial appearance in the first Ultimate’s series. Until recently the general consensus was that Thor was delusional and wasn’t the Thor that he thought he was. In this issue we see the history of Thor and Asgard in the Ultimate universe. A history where the warriors three are the three sons of Odin, and a history that draws from its 616 counterpart where Loki, Baldar and Thor are sons of Odin.

One thing I’ve recently realized with my tastes in comics is that when there are Nazi’s involved there is usually good comics to be had. Their over the top tactics and their willingness to stop at nothing creates a perfect platform for which to tell any story. In this first issue we find out that the Nazi’s are going to take on Asgard, but they’re not going to do it alone, they’ve brought in the Asgardians own enemies as back-up; the Frost Giants. Unlike many of his other works Hickman is limited to just four issues to tell his story, which seems to have reigned in his usual big ideas and allowed for a more solid and focused story.

The art was a little bit of a letdown, in recent months I’ve taken more notice with the art work in the books I read, and this was far from Pacheo’s best work, that being said any of his work is steps above a lot of other artists out there. The fight scenes however felt well put together and my only real complaint with the art by the end was the facial expressions. They seemed off and rushed.

Marvel has been pumping out a multitude of Thor books as well as mini series’, which is continually making it harder and harder to pick and chose not only which books are going to be good, but which one’s you ultimately want to pick up. With that in mind I’ll word it this way; Ultimate comics Thor #1 was the second best Thor book I read this month. Hickman gets his name thrown around a lot for both good and bad reasons, but he is showing time and time again that anything that he writes is worth checking out.

Story 7
Art 6

Overall 6.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:21 am

Is the Ultimate line really diluted? Currently there are only 2 ongoings (Spider-Man and X, which is very delayed) and 4 minis (Mystery, Avengers 3, New Ultimates and now Thor), they only seem to launch a new mini when an old one finishes too (like the upcoming Captain America)

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:54 am

Punchy wrote:Is the Ultimate line really diluted? Currently there are only 2 ongoings (Spider-Man and X, which is very delayed) and 4 minis (Mystery, Avengers 3, New Ultimates and now Thor), they only seem to launch a new mini when an old one finishes too (like the upcoming Captain America)

The line itself maybe streamlined but through all the crap they've put the universe through and the awful story lines it's definitely become diluted.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:22 am

This was an ok issue. I miss the good Carlos Pacheco. This is missing his finesse and just shows off his monkey do, monkey work style. It's ok but it just looks like cheap brian hitch. The writing was pretty standard, nothing extraordinary nothing awful. I didn't find the book a jumbled disjointed mess that certain other posters did. Either way the book was pretty average.

- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 am

guitarsmashley wrote:It's ok but it just looks like cheap brian hitch.

I wish I had come up with that line.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:53 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
The line itself maybe streamlined but through all the crap they've put the universe through and the awful story lines it's definitely become diluted.

I think it's recovered from Ultimatum pretty well, even Loeb's stuff is good. What diluted it was letting lesser talents like those Heroes guys write Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:54 am

guitarsmashley wrote:

This, especially with the multiple Iron Men, Captain Americas, Wasps, Black Widows, Thors, Hulks and everything else that's running around in the Ultimate Universe. Nothing feels of consequence anymore.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 am

BlueStreak wrote:
This, especially with the multiple Iron Men, Captain Americas, Wasps, Black Widows, Thors, Hulks and everything else that's running around in the Ultimate Universe. Nothing feels of consequence anymore.

Often the reason for the multiples is that the originals are dead, how is that not consequences?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 am

The main books in the UU do still seem to sell well, I just don't understand why when I read them.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand