Sunday, August 28, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Where your childhood dreams don't have to die alone."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Ultimate Comics Thor #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:59 am

Victorian Squid wrote:The main books in the UU do still seem to sell well, I just don't understand why when I read them.

Because they have Bendis, Millar, Loeb, Art Adams, Frank Cho and others?

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 pm

I'll be posting a couple of reviews this evening :oops:

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Punchy wrote:
Often the reason for the multiples is that the originals are dead, how is that not consequences?

But who cares about the stories if they just replace characters with carbon copies after every fatality?

The Ultimate line was my first foray into modern Marvel comics all those years ago. It was great because the stories were accessible and the line in general felt tighter. It doesn't feel that way anymore with any of the titles save the Bendis ones. Since Ultimates 3, the line has moved away from tight, modern versions of Marvel characters to Hardcore versions of the characters. Since the books are still selling, I guess some people like it, but I really don't.

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:08 pm

i prefer the original premise of the Ultimates line but i still enjoy the current stuff...they are different but i like both

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Kind of reminds me of when Image first launched when they just had cool art and big action...i just hope the Ultimate line doesn't fizzle out like those Image books did

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:31 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
But who cares about the stories if they just replace characters with carbon copies after every fatality?

The Ultimate line was my first foray into modern Marvel comics all those years ago. It was great because the stories were accessible and the line in general felt tighter. It doesn't feel that way anymore with any of the titles save the Bendis ones. Since Ultimates 3, the line has moved away from tight, modern versions of Marvel characters to Hardcore versions of the characters. Since the books are still selling, I guess some people like it, but I really don't.

The replacements are hardly carbon copies, apart from Daredevil.

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Punchy wrote:
Often the reason for the multiples is that the originals are dead, how is that not consequences?

I think there is a fine line between any thing could happen and we did it because anything could happen.

Ex.
The Walking Dead
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Killing of Laurie

Vs
Ultimatum
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
We killed everybody

It's about subtlety.

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Punchy wrote:
The replacements are hardly carbon copies, apart from Daredevil.

The smattering of Ultimate Avengers and Ultimate Ultimates (or whatever is the other Ultimates book is called) that I've read suggests otherwise. The only difference I see is that they're more hardcore and brutal. Which seems to sell copies, so whatever. I understand that I'm in the minority in my thinking here.

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:39 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
The smattering of Ultimate Avengers and Ultimate Ultimates (or whatever is the other Ultimates book is called) that I've read suggests otherwise. The only difference I see is that they're more hardcore and brutal. Which seems to sell copies, so whatever. I understand that I'm in the minority in my thinking here.

The phrase you're looking for is To THE EXTREME!!!

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:18 pm

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... hor-1.html

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:58 pm

BlueStreak wrote:

The 'Black Hulk' could be an example of that, but other than that, the new Wasp or Black Widow aren't that XXX-TREME.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:10 pm

5.98 is probably the right score for this issue.

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Punchy wrote:5.98 is probably the right score for this issue.

No. Everyone who scored it lower than me was wrong.

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:34 pm

John Snow wrote:
I wish I had come up with that line.

Thank you and I'm not a pacheco hater...in fact he's one of my favorites but the last I saw of his "good" work was superman batman.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Everything I had to say about this book I pretty much said in the thread, except that this is the least compelling single issue by Hickman I've ever read.

leave a comment with facebook