Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Victorian Undead Special

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Re: Review Group Week 244 - VICTORIAN UNDEAD SPECIAL

Postby ****** » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Victorian Undead Special

Character aside, the key ingredient to a Sherlock Holmes mystery? The mystery. Telling a Jekyll and Hyde story with Sherlock Holmes doesn't leave any mystery at all for the reader. All this special does is present a rather bland take on Sherlock Holmes and put him through the motions of solving a case where we already know how it is going to end. I was bored and ready for it to be over before I even hit the halfway point. This easily takes the prize for the most tedious comic I've read this year.

The art started out strong, but it became more and more bland as it progressed. I love the cover though, probably my favorite thing Van Sciver has done since his Cyber Frog days.

Story: 1
Art: 6
Overall: 3.5

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Chubbles wrote:Lets do Kick Ass next week

Kick Ass 2 #1
selected by Chubbles
Writer: MARK MILLAR
Pencils: JOHN ROMITA JR.

The sequel to the New York Times best-selling comic--which spawned the hit movie--continues! When Dave Lizewski put on his mask and became Kick-Ass, he never imagined things would go this far. Now Dave comes face-to-face with a world he helped bring about, as his dreams of a world of superheroes come true...but will those dreams turn to nightmares? Don't miss the comic book event of the year! Plus: Hit-Girl! Mature $2.99

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:39 pm

John Snow wrote:Victorian Undead Special

Character aside, the key ingredient to a Sherlock Holmes mystery? The mystery. Telling a Jekyll and Hyde story with Sherlock Holmes doesn't leave any mystery at all for the reader. All this special does is present a rather bland take on Sherlock Holmes and put him through the motions of solving a case where we already know how it is going to end. I was bored and ready for it to be over before I even hit the halfway point. This easily takes the prize for the most tedious comic I've read this year.

The art started out strong, but it became more and more bland as it progressed. I love the cover though, probably my favorite thing Van Sciver has done since his Cyber Frog days.

Story: 1
Art: 6
Overall: 3.5

Nope--that was SHIELD #2.

The Hicklash continues strong.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 am

I sadly have not been to the shop in some time and I'm trying to cut the pull list down immensely. :? :-(

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:35 am

Eli Katz wrote:Nope--that was SHIELD #2.

It's catching on!

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:37 am

due to money issues I've had to drop all comics, so not sure yet when I will be able to buy books to review again.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 am

I will have a review for this up tonight.

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 am

Eli Katz wrote:Nope--that was SHIELD #2.

A) S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 wasn't 40 pages long.
B) S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 was awesome.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:46 am

HICKLASH!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Still haven't been near a shop to get this, and clearly I'm never going to bother with my Ultimate Thor review.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Victorian Undead Special: Sherlock Holmes vs. Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde

Sherlock Holmes, Jekyll/Hyde, Late 1800’s London and Murder Mystery. Do all 4 of these elements combine together knock one out of the park?

When it comes to the horror genre, there is one thing that has never gone out of style, and that is Zombies. Over the past 10 decades, they have only gone through one decade (The 1940’s) where they aren’t involved in some iconic part of Popular Culture. From their humble beginnings in a ”Thousand and One Nights, to their “modern” roots in Mary Shelly’s ” Frankenstein”, till today’s gripping takes on the genre that include The Walking Dead, Planet Terror, I Zombie, and a host of others, there is a good reason why there only rival in popularity of Horror Icons is the Kings and Queens themselves in Vampires. Over the past 20 years, besides cross the genre lines, one of the popular things to do with Zombies is set them in different time periods, and tells the story of how they would fight such an Infestation. It should be no surprise that someone would eventually use the literary gold mine that is Late 1800’s London as the setting for this type of story. Wildstorm would pull the trigger on this, and give us the series known as “Victorian Undead.”

The tall and short of Victorian Undead goes like this. In 1898 a Zombie Plague hits London, with Sherlock Holmes being the only man that has a chance of rallying London in a successful bid against the Horde of the Undead. By the end of the story, Sherlock and London are able to triumph over their tormentors, but not without burning most of the city to the Ground, leaving and indelible scar on the whole entire British Empire. Fast forward 11 months later, and we are not only in 1899, but in the setting for the one shot-special, and this story doesn’t just have Sherlock Holmes and Watson as the main characters. This time they’re going up against Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde in a battle that cover sells as one for the ages. It was something that got me looking forward to reading this, and learning what I really thought of it.

The thing that stood out the most for this reviewer was the writing contained inside of the book. It doesn’t take very long for the book to set the tone of the story we’re about to read. The Dialogue is also extremely strong, as we don’t have to worry about voices overlapping as no two characters sound the same. In addition, we also learn everything we need to know about the characters through their speech patterns. Another thing that impressed the reviewer was the way another type of undead was interwoven into the lore of the story (not to mention the history of one of the main characters.). At its fundamentals this book is soundly written, and doesn’t bore you in those fundamentals. Ian Edington has plenty to be proud of from this effort.

As for the art, we are treated to a lot more goes right than it does wrong. The colors are not only appropriate for virtually every scene , but are stupendously well done and it helps the art in the book stand out in spades. Not only that they also went the extra mile showing the same classic look of the rebuilt London, but you could also feel that it’s also a New London from the ambiance displayed. It would be nothing but praises from the art, if there weren’t a few pages where it felt like the colors and pencils ran. While it doesn’t ruin the book, it’s kind of jarring when the rest of the book is drawn so well. Maybe it was an unfortunate printing mistake, but it rears its ugly head in the proceedings.

With that said, there is one thing that some people are not going to be able to get past, and that’s the fact that there really is no mystery as to how this story is going to turn out. With Sherlock Holmes as the protagonist, you would think there would be more suspense to the proceedings, but that is not the case. Even the way they throw you off becomes obvious once you sit down and read it a second time. This may be one of those times where a little decompression would help things, making this story a 2 parter, or maybe a 64 Page Comic. With that said, this doesn’t mean that the comic is worthless, there are still plenty of things to like (especially if you’re a Watson Fan) from the writing, to the art, and the bridge into the next part of this storyline. This wasn’t a Smashing homerun that “Billy the Kid” was, but it was definitely a Solid Triple that helps to keep the runners moving along, making it a good place to start if you have any interest in this series.

The Verdict

Story ***1/4 (6.5): The writing here is solid and moves the story along at a great pace, as the dialogue stands out. If only the mystery was stronger, then this would’ve gotten a 1 and half points more.

Art ***3/4 (7.5): Great Art all around, that’s only taken down a notch by a couple of pages.

Accessibility: ****1/2 (9): Even if you haven’t read the prequel you are given almost everything you need to read this story. It also serves as a great primer to the Universe without a heap of redundancy.

Final Judgment: ***1/2 (7 out of 10)

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:03 pm

By the way, Wildstorm is giving us the go ahead on an interview with the writer. Just waiting to hear back from Mr. Edginton now.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:39 pm

still not caring enough to try and find this. So yeah, no review from me.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand