Advertisement

I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby J.M. Hunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Photoshop or illustrator?

I scanned it at 600dpi and saved it as a tif in photoshop. Then I went and opened it up in Illustrator. Tried the pen tool then shit got wonky.

So how do I "hand trace" a logo or something I drew where I actually have more control instead of dealing with a pen tool in Illustrator where it just sorta slices pieces and doesn't listen to me no matter how much I Yell at the screen?

Thoughts? Answers? Witty remarks?

Advertisement

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 14121
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:48 pm


Online


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:17 pm

I always used to use the pen. It takes some practice. Make sure you don't have a fill (in Illustrator), just a stroke.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

SuperginraiX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 8128
Likes: 91 posts
Liked in: 95 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Waite Park MN
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane


Online


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 pm

I'd also make sure you lock your pic in the background so you don't have to worry about selecting it. It's been a while but the pen tool is the way to go if I'm remembering correctly.
Image

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 70580
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 576 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby sdsichero » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:45 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:I'd also make sure you lock your pic in the background so you don't have to worry about selecting it. It's been a while but the pen tool is the way to go if I'm remembering correctly.


Yeah throw it in the background (grayscales it usually) then trace over that. Depending on the logo, you can use the pen or use shapes & combinations to redo the logo.

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby J.M. Hunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:49 pm

I'll have to give it another try then. I thought Jude was joking when he said use the pen tool, it started slicing away my fucking logo. Unwieldy piece of fucking hammerfuck tool. :smt011

I did just open up my tif image in Illustrator and tried to go for it with the pen tool.

So you're saying I need to prep my area some how?

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 70580
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 576 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby sdsichero » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:02 am

J.M. Hunter wrote:I'll have to give it another try then. I thought Jude was joking when he said use the pen tool, it started slicing away my fucking logo. Unwieldy piece of fucking hammerfuck tool. :smt011

I did just open up my tif image in Illustrator and tried to go for it with the pen tool.

So you're saying I need to prep my area some how?


Were you using the pen tool or the trace tool?

The pen tool is all manual, you need to trace the image like you would if it was tracing paper over an image. The trace tool does it automatically if you select the area and will give you some variable results.

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby J.M. Hunter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:07 am

sdsichero wrote:
Were you using the pen tool or the trace tool?

The pen tool is all manual, you need to trace the image like you would if it was tracing paper over an image. The trace tool does it automatically if you select the area and will give you some variable results.



Ok, I was using the pen tool. I'll look for the trace tool next time, thanks.

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76554
Likes: 518 posts
Liked in: 830 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:15 am

The trace tool sucks, you're better off manually tracing it with the pen tool. Turn off the fill or switch the view to outline from preview so you don't have a fill covering up the logo as you trace it. But it's definitely the way to go. Look for a tutorial online, once you figure out how to use it, it's really easy if you take your time. And then you have a perfect, scalable vector graphic of your logo which you can use for all sorts of purposes.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby J.M. Hunter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:23 am

Jude Terror wrote:The trace tool sucks, you're better off manually tracing it with the pen tool. Turn off the fill or switch the view to outline from preview so you don't have a fill covering up the logo as you trace it. But it's definitely the way to go. Look for a tutorial online, once you figure out how to use it, it's really easy if you take your time. And then you have a perfect, scalable vector graphic of your logo which you can use for all sorts of purposes.



I'm willing to try it.

dairydead
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9821
Likes: 72 posts
Liked in: 147 posts
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:12 am
Location: Detroit


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby dairydead » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:23 am

pen tool works really nice if you know how to use it. I'd suggest that.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!



sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 70580
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 576 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray


Online



Apache Chef
User avatar
Expert Post Whore
 
Posts: 5464
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:48 pm


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby Apache Chef » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:29 am

Pen tool is the way to go. Use Illustrator.

J.M. Hunter
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2526
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm
Title: The Beast!


Re: I threw up a new Logo but how do I trace it?

Postby J.M. Hunter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks guys. I'll show you the results when I figure them out!

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 70580
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 576 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray


Online



leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Creator's Corner



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Advertisement