Advertisement

Nightfly's TV Week in Review #14 (list only)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts

Nightfly's TV Week in Review #14 (list only)

Postby Nightfly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Personal troubles kept me away from my desktop this past week preventing me from writing my usual weekly review column - my first missed one since beginning 13 weeks ago. Now that I'm back in business, this'll probably be where I post my daily update reviews for the rest of this week; it may go front page (I dunno yet). Thanks for your patience & understanding. This Week in Review (#14) will just be in list form. Week in Review #15 will be normal length reviews. :) As a tradeoff I'm increasing the number of shows in each list category for this #14 entry only.
Sorry, no trivia question this week (only).

Top 7 Scripted List (for week of 10/10/10)
7. Lie to Me - "The Royal We" (FOX)
6. The Good Guys - "Dan on the Run" (FOX)
5. Boardwalk Empire - "Anastasia" (HBO)
4. Hawaii Five-0 - "Lanakila" (CBS)
3. Glee - "Duets" (FOX)
2. Caprica - "Retribution" (SyFy)
1. Fringe - "Do Shapeshifters Dream of Electric Sheep?" (FOX)
Guilty Pleasure Award - Top Chef: Just Desserts - "Edible Fashion" (Bravo)
------------------------------
Guest Star of the Week: Gary Cole on The Good Guys (FOX)
* Outstanding Sitcoms *

5. Raising Hope - "Say Cheese" (FOX)
4. $#*! My Dad Says - "Code Ed" (CBS)
3. Running Wilde - "The Junior Affair" (FOX)
2. Eastbound & Down - "Chapter 9" (HBO)
1. The Big Bang Theory - "The Hot Troll Deviation" (CBS)

* Reality Shows *

4. Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making The Team 5 (CMT)
3. Conspiracy Theory w/ Jesse Ventura - "Plum Island" (truTV)
2. Project Runway - "We're in a New York State of Mind" (Lifetime)
1. Top Gear (BBC-America)
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

Advertisement

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Tuesday Reviews - Daily Update

Postby Nightfly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:04 am

* Potential Spoilers Below *

Robert Carlyle (a.k.a. Rush) made his directorial debut with last nite's Stargate SGU marking a serious turning point for Chloe's character. Strange trancelike behavior as well as alien writing in her diary lead to the realization that she's undergoing cellular-genetic changes, prompting her quarantine lockdown and eventual time in the neural-interface chair. Whatever she is, she's not cured - in fact I fear Rush's chair treatment probably accelerated whatever transformation she's going through. I soo don't trust Rush. He might've put her in the chair knowing it would strip her of her humanity all the quicker - he'd do anything for more answers & control. Eli & his mom connect using the stones, helping her combat her depression, while Camile visits Sharon Walker (Reiko Aylesworth, 24) on Earth also using the stones. Eli's detailed explanation of the Stargate Program to his mother makes for a welcoming introduction to the series (and franchise) for would-be newcomers. Good first effort by Carlyle highlighting the acting talents of Levesque, Ming-Na, David Blue, and, Robert Knepper (as Simeon). I bet Sharon soon asks to visit Destiny like Eli's mom did.
Robert Carlyle & Elyse Levesque in "Pathogen"

Torresani owned the spotlight in this epi of Caprica playing multiple versions of Zoe, withstanding numerous bloody assaults and a brutal public pummelling to finally meet, catfight, and eventually reason with fellow 'Deathwalker' Tamara Adama. Flashbacks reveal Zoe's connection to the Cylons earliest (schematic) design, meanwhile Lacy spends the entirety of the episode captive of Clarice's polygamist family; berated, bound, and kept drugged in the attic until Clarice orders her (after a debriefing) to go train on Gemenon. Tim Hunter (Mad Men, 'River's Edge') skillfully helmed this insightful script by genre master Drew Z. Greenberg (BtVS, SW: Clone Wars) featuring Vergis cunningly "returned to the soil"; one of a growing body count of Daniel Graystone's unintended victims. Amanda, now regularly reporting to investigator Duram, moves into Clarice's polygamist home at his behest. This was unquestionably one of my favorite episodes of the series so far (surely the most stabby). I can't wait till Tamara and Zoe team up!
Alessandra Torresani as Zoe Graystone in "Things We Lock Away"

Running Wilde assuredly earned itself placement in my weekly List by delivering another hilariously clownish installment - this time revolving around Steve's grossly indulgent annual "unnecessoirée" celebration. Humorously competitive as always Fa'ad and Steve throw rival unnecessoirées, though Steve alone tries to make his eco-friendly for Emmy's approval. Chevy's Volt was product placed well, in the context of this "discount twizzler garbage party themed" story in which Steve and Puddle visit a discount mega-store for their first times. Fa'ad's cocaine covered orgy dome, random hawk attacks, and bejeweled band-aid were especially funny. "Seven years in seven hours by Emmy Kadubic" seemed... interesting. Will Jake Busey ever wander downstairs? When will Emmy & Puddle move into the house? These are questions that plague my mind.
Puddle, Migo and Emmy in "The Party"

Kalinda smashed the windows out of, and took evidence from, Blake's car in last nite's gripping episode of The Good Wife. Mamie Gummer returned as attorney Nancy Crozier, and Kate Burton (Grey's Anatomy) reprised her role as Lockhart's mentor, Justice Adler. Griffin Dunne, Edward Herrmann (Gilmore Girls), and the always effulgent Elizabeth Reaser ('Twilight') guest in yet another case putting Alicia's reputation on the line. Tammy the sports reporter needs to get her own series ;-) It's no secret I want Kalinda to get her own show too! :P Anika Noni Rose (as Atty. Wendy Scott-Carr) shockingly replaces Adler as candidate for state's attorney in this unusually guest filled entry. "Cleaning House" has a very good chance of making my Week in Review List.
Archie Panjabi & Mamie Gummer

* No Ordinary Family was recorded and will be screened 'n reviewed later this week.

------------------------------------------------------
Tonight (Wed) I plan to review;
Undercovers - "Not Without My Daughter" (NBC)
The Defenders - "Nevada v. Senator Harper" (CBS)
Terriers - "Missing Persons" (FX)
Top Chef: Just Desserts - "Black & White" (Bravo)

* Better With You - "Better With Little Buddy" (ABC) {for later viewing via Clicker.com}
Last edited by Nightfly on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Daily Update Supplemental - H50 "Nalowale"

Postby Nightfly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 am

Gorgeous Michelle Borth, as Naval Lt. Catherine Rollins, returned for her biggest guest spot yet in this past Monday's Hawaii Five-0. Loads of notable guest stars made this deadly episode as entertaining as it was dark. Kyle Secor (Homicide: Life on the Street) plays a targeted U.S. Ambassador whose daughters are kidnapped, one of whom is killed; Jacqueline McKenzie (The 4400) plays his grief stricken wife. Wood Harris (The Wire) guests as the ambassador's security 'K&R' consultant, Heroes' Masi Oka is introduced as one of the island's medical examiners, and Patrick Gallagher (Glee, 'Night at the Museum') portrays the terrorist receiving a most dumpsterific beatdown from McG. Respectively reprising their roles were Jean Smart as the Governor taking an emotional personal interest in the case, and, Taryn Manning as Steve's sister digging into a horrific case from Jack McGarrett's past. Strong episode with an action-packed climax! 8) Worth checking out.
Alex O'Loughlin & Michelle Borth in "Nalowale"

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Daily Update Supplemental - HIMYM

Postby Nightfly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:50 am

Mosby is the architect of destruction in this past Monday's How I Met Your Mother when GNB hires him to design their new headquarters on a spot requiring the destruction of an admired historic building, The Arcadian. His initial instinct to resist demolition is only reinforced when he meets sexy blonde architectual activist Zoe (guest star Jennifer Morrison), who's single-handedly spearheading a petition drive to save The Arcadian. Barney takes a bit of the backseat in this one, mostly dealing with Ted/Zoe & Marshall's preoccupation with Max's very small staff. When Marshall learns that Robin and Lily share explicit details about their sex lives he feels Robin's imaginary presence in their room during lovemaking and generally doesn't take it very well. And when gossip leaks that Robin's new beau Max (Geoff Stults, 7th Heaven, October Road) has a remarkably small unit, Marshall can think of little else. I chuckled my way through this decent episode hoping Morrison would be the one... too bad her character was married. Kinda made me wonder where her husband is while she's out protesting, stealing bunnies, and getting arrested all the time?! Lily's and Marshall's sex scenes, and Jennifer Morrison as Zoe elevate this epi to 'must-see' status in my book. Ted's cosplay was fairly amusing too! (hehe)
Jennifer Morrison & Josh Radnor in "Architect of Destruction"
Last edited by Nightfly on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Daily Update - Monday Supplemental: Rules of Engagement

Postby Nightfly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am

Both Timmy and Audrey find themselves at crossroads in Monday's landmark episode of Rules of Engagement. Megyn Price fans won't wanna miss this transition point for her character as she decides enough's enough and resolves to quit her job while 'playing' softball for Jeff's Buttermakers. Allison suggests her and Timmy take some time off from having sex to better get to know each other, throwing Timmy into a frustratedly foul mood. Timmy directs the dryspell's effects at Russell through more openly hostile defiance which Russell understandingly excuses, knowing the cause of the [behavior] change. While Adam & Jen wait in the Island Diner for their apartment to finish fumigating Jennifer crafts a more romantic *fictional* story to tell strangers about their first date. Audrey receives her big epiphany after spending nearly a whole game on the phone, while on the field (even while possessing the ball), finally realizing that her job just asks too much of her. Timmy takes advantage of Russell's newfound tolerance electing not to inform him when the excuse for his mood ends. Price was particularly adorable in this laugh out load epi that let the whole cast shine - even the new girl.
Adhir Kalyan & Megyn Price
Last edited by Nightfly on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 159 posts

Re: Nightfly's TV Week in Review #14 (list only)

Postby misac » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:22 am

DAG on Bones was robbed! :P

I thought all Fox shows were on reruns for baseball. :evil: I'm going to catch Running Wilde on Hulu.

My sister was so happy to see Masi Oka on Hawaii Five-O.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 am

misac wrote:DAG on Bones was robbed! :P

He was seriously considered.

misac wrote:I thought all Fox shows were on reruns for baseball. :evil:
Not all.

misac wrote:I'm going to catch Running Wilde on Hulu.

Ever checked out Clicker.com (The Internet Television Guide)? They play RW too.

misac wrote:My sister was so happy to see Masi Oka on Hawaii Five-O.

yeah, looks like he'll be a recurring character too!

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 am

Alan gets more than he bargained for when he picks up beautiful Gretchen (Erinn Hayes, Children's Hospital) while pretending to be Charlie in this past Monday's Two and a Half Men. In the wake of Lyndsey running off with her ex-husband Chris, Alan finds himself especially depressed and in need of some diversion. Charlie claims to be going to Vegas but in fact goes to the plastic surgeon (guest Steve Hytner as Dr. Schenkman) to get his eyes done. Comedic actress Sara Sanderson stunningly stole her scene as nurse Kendra in this typically humorous epi. Gretchen's over-the-top role playing costume was something else. (I wonder if she plans on ever running for political office?)
Erinn Hayes (Gretchen) & Sara Sanderson (Kendra)
Last edited by Nightfly on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 159 posts

Postby misac » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 am

Nightfly wrote:He was seriously considered.

Not all.

Ever checked out Clicker.com (The Internet Television Guide)? They play RW too.

yeah, looks like he'll be a recurring character too!

I'd like to see the pot head from the first or second episode return too.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 pm

misac wrote:I'd like to see the pot head from the first or second episode return too.

potheads are almost always fun! Image

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Wednesday Reviews - Daily Update

Postby Nightfly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 am

The Defenders produced my new favorite epi from the series! Two interesting & entertaining cases, rife with guest stars, helped this entry stand apart from the rest. Morelli & Kaczmarek handle the high profile case of a Senator (Steven Culp, Desperate Housewives) accused of murdering his young mistress, played by Amy Castle (Ally McBeal, Passions). Jessica Tuck (True Blood, Judging Amy) guests as the Senator's scorned wife, and, Michael Harney (Deadwood, NYPD Blue) is introduced as local detective Hank Smith. On the personal front, Nick confronts his marital status at the urging of lovely guest Laura San Giacomo (as Judge Anna Desanti), as Pete takes a bit of a ride with sexy thief Darian Sollaway (Michelle Lombardo, Quarterlife). Bears fans, as well as anyone who's enjoyed this series so far, should definitely not miss this solid installment.
Michelle Lombardo

This week's Terriers conformed to the depressive theme that's become its hallmark. Producer Tim Minear's shows have often been accused of nihilism, and this series, since he's become an exec prod, seems to solidly prove the claim. The characters are surely well-drawn & likeable enough but the writers seem to only know how to punish and crush them. Isn't it odd how other series (such as Brothers & Sisters or Grey's Anatomy) manage to do the whole human drama thing, complete with cancer, miscarriages, affairs, vehicular deaths, etc, without making the audience feel punished for having sat through it. Compared to Terriers, Angel was a feel good romp on par with The A-Team or The Fall Guy. Hank's advice to Katie seems to be killing her a bit more than he expected but, as I see it, Hank's mistakes and missteps have been almost too many to count lately. When will these dogs get their day? I'll continue watching this unhappy, miserable show - because of its quality acting and writing - but I'll henceforth consider it my weekly penance for any happy thoughts I might've enjoyed throughout the week. More than any serial killer or cancer show I know, this series reliably kicks the happy out of me, for sure. That's Entertainment! Noel Fisher (The Riches) affectively guested in last nite's delightfully cheerful epi.
Noel Fisher

The final seven were reduced to six in this week's episode of Top Chef: Just Desserts. Chef Michael Laiskonis guest judged in a newsworthy edition highlighting the 128th Anniversary of the Los Angeles Times newspaper. Zac won the savory Quickfire Challenge (with a steamed beet cake w/ sweet goat cheese cream & lemon thyme gremolata), restricted to only one pot and with blenders verboten. Team 'Go Diva' pushed the bounds of decorum, annoying virtually every non-team member, and me. Morgan (hopefully accidentally) elbowed Heather in the lip, but rather than apologizing made allusions to Shaquille O'Neal with himself in the role of Shaq. A relatively dramatic twist came as Zac surprisingly sold his won (Quickfire) immunity for five thousand dollars. The L.A. Times Elimination Challenge required cheftestants to craft desserts using only the colors Black & White. Eric turned out his best creation yet, and received complimentary praise from Gail for his improved plating skills. Interestingly, all three ladies landed in the bottom, with Erika Davis going home for reportedly soap flavored ice cream. Turkish native Yigit Pura snagged the win with his chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse, berry compote & almond milk ice cream. Enjoyable episode (despite Go Diva's hijinx).
Gail Simmons in Black & White

* Undercovers will be screened and reviewed later. I'll catch it OnDemand in a day or two (perhaps sooner). I'll also be watching last nite's Steven Seagal: Lawman OnDemand ASAP.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight (Thurs) I hope to review;
The Big Bang Theory - "The Desperation Emanation" (CBS)
$#*! My Dad Says - "Not Without My Jacket" (CBS)
Grey's Anatomy - "Almost Grown" (ABC)
Private Practice - "In or Out" (ABC)
Nikita - "Resistance" (CW)
Project Runway - "Finale, Part 1" (Lifetime)

* will catch online or OnDemand;
30 Rock - "Reaganing" (NBC)
Last edited by Nightfly on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Supplemental

Postby Nightfly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:53 am

ABC's adorable Putney sisters brought the laughs again in last nite's hysterical Better With You. Learning the sex of their baby, along with getting their first ultrasound pic, makes Casey a little manic causing him to continuously talk to Mia's belly and become remarkably overprotective of their "little buddy." Maddie and Ben both contend with the Putney parents regarding Joel's handling of Maddie's finances & Vick's Pics of Urgent Links overwhelming Ben's work emailbox. An ensuing bet to see who can get what they want easiest amusingly drives Finnigan's & Cooke's funniest storyline yet. Mia's burgeoning motherhood, sweetly approached here, wonderfully compliments Casey's comedic, quirky arc. Debra Jo Rupp (That '70s Show) delivers her best performance to date in an epi that made me LOL repeatedly. Joanna Garcia, unknown to me before this series, has fast become one of my favorite actresses on tv! As with Jennifer Finnigan, I'll now likely watch anything she's on - I'm definitely a fan.
Mia feels her baby's first kicks in "Better with Little Buddy"

Monday's Mike & Molly focused on Mike's blue-brotherhood with partner Carl. Being his best friend, Mike worries about Carl not having anyone and, together with Molly, tries to hook Carl up with Victoria. Katy Mixon (as Victoria) is in rare form here, and Swoosie (as Joyce) is outrageously funny in this James Burrows directed episode. The stair stunt at the end, Michael Jordan as romantic rival, and, the righteous voice of 'Grandma' Cleo King (Deadwood, 'Dogville') made this already outstanding epi extra special. Any true sitcom connoisseur is surely enjoying this series already, if not, get a late pass and jump onboard. Be warned though, this lovable comedy is guaranteed to make you laugh.
Katy Mixon & Swoosie Kurtz of Mike & Molly

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Thursday Reviews - Daily Update

Postby Nightfly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:25 am

Whatever big mystery's bringing the Blooms back to the spy game, Sam's sister Lizzy apparently knows it; it seems only Sam & Steve (and we) don't know why they're back in the field now. Facilitating the defection of a North Korean physicist proves dangerously difficult when the sexy superspies face French double agents to rescue the physicist's kidnapped daughter. Irene Choi (as May) plays the daughter of Dr. Shin Won (Charles Rahi Chun, Scrubs) in this exceptionally engaging entry directed by Dan Attias (Party of Five). Despite their best efforts, Sam & Steve not only miss their annual anniversary trip, but Lizzy's sobriety ceremony as well. French beauty Linda Hardy ('A House Divided') and Alex Nesic (Sleeper Cell) portray the duplicitous French operatives. This week, perhaps more than any other, the emotional elements held their own amidst the usual thrilling mix of action & hi-tech wizardry. Folks who've written off Undercovers may wanna look this (past) Wednesday's enjoyable epi up online or OnDemand and give it another shot. One of my favorite missions from this series so far.
Irene Choi

now onto shows from last nite...

Considered part of their training, Webber lets the fourth year residents on Grey's Anatomy fill in for the attending surgeons for a day, while the attendings spend that day formally pitching the Chief on ways their departments could spend a $1 million grant. Torres plays to win but Hunt snags the cash for his idea to train Seattle Grace's doctors on better emergency trauma techniques; in part hoping to prevent some of the needless loss of life that occurred in last finale's mass murder from happening again. Meredith successfully performs a (solo) emergency brain surgery, and Yang takes some first steps towards practicing medicine again. Avery also performs his first (supervised) brain surgery in this gripping epi directed by Chandra Wilson (a.k.a. Miranda Bailey), guest starring gorgeous Candice Patton (Sorority Forever) as Meg.
Candice Patton

Private Practice provided a heartening episode of redemption, new life, and the triumph of reason over unfulfilling fornication. :? Addison's so happy with Sam that she's invented their uni-name, 'Addisam.' Their relationship passes every subtextual test here, including Addy's managed temptation for Dr. Rodriguez (Cristián de la Fuente, In Plain Sight). Montgomery and Rodriguez support rival treatment paths for the sick newborn of guest stars Linara Washington ('Kings of the Evening') & David Giuntoli (Privileged). Violet extends herself to elderly parolee Lewis (Albert Hall, 'Malcolm X') even though doing so causes (more) tension with Pete. Fueled by horniness, and tales of his member size, Amelia pursues Sheldon for some meaningless sex. All the cast excelled in this epi but I thought Amy Brenneman was especially impressive. It was also nice getting more time with Charlotte, Amelia, and Sheldon. For casual viewers who may only catch the occasional episode, definitely check this one out - I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Cristián de la Fuente as Dr. Rodriguez

Stirring revelations for both Nikita and Alex made last nite's installment tough to beat for the Top of the List spot in my weekly column. Veteran director Guy Ferland deftly helmed this well-written story of Division's torturous training methods for new recruits. Alex proves she's a cut above the rest, while Owen - still held up at Niki's pad - confesses to being the 'reaper' who terminated Daniel. Maggie Q does her best acting in this series so far, reliving the assassination of her fiancé, realizing that Michael had nothing to do with it, and responding to Alex's desperate call for help after blowing a hole in Percy's and Amanda's shocking loyalty test. This epi was arguably, at least to most Alias fans (I'd suspect), the best one of its freshman season. Fonseca should get an Emmy nomination for this superlative performance! Notice the degree of tense drama farmed from a story with but a single (onscreen) gunshot. :shock:
Lyndsy Fonseca & Shane West in "Resistance"

A surprisingly emotional first part of Project Runway's finale concluded my viewing nite, narrowing the final four to the final three (always moving). As usual, Gunn visits all four designers and dines with their families. I plan to write more about his home visits in my weekly column. Once back in New York, each designer was required to make an additional look for their collection to be showed to the judges for evaluation. Unfortunately, Michael Costello didn't make the final cut and will not be showing at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. Personally, I couldn't decide which one should go home... I narrowed it down to Gretchen or Costello, but I honestly couldn't shatter either of their dreams and would've pushed for letting all four show at Lincoln Center. Mondo's mini-collection impressed me the most (by far) - I appreciate his source references. There was no guest judge this week but songstress Jessica Simpson will guest judge in next week's finale.
Gretchen Jones

* $#*! My Dad Says & The Big Bang Theory are recorded and I'll review those ASAP.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight (Fri) I expect to screen;
The Good Guys - "Old Dogs" (FOX) {Ed Begley Jr. guests}
Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making The Team 5 (CMT)

* I'll also be watching (but not reviewing) Real Time w/Bill Maher.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

30 Rock - review

Postby Nightfly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:02 am

Last nite's 30 Rock finds Liz seeking help from Jack who's successfully near the end of a 24hr cycle known as 'Reaganing' (defined by going 24hrs straight without making a single misstep of any kind). Lemon laments a sexual performance problem relating to a traumatic memory involving Tom Jones. Jenna's latest illegal scheme involves Kenneth and eventually guest Kelsey Grammer (as himself) in a series of cons pertaining to free cakes. Todd Holland (Malcolm in the Middle, The Larry Sanders Show) amusingly directs this romp featuring a Boys & Girls Club of America PSA starring Tracy! Funny episode. :lol:
The Best Friends Gang: Kelsey Grammer, Jack McBrayer, & Jane Krakowski

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Friday Reviews - Daily Update

Postby Nightfly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:53 am

The Good Guys was amusingly helmed by actor/director Tate Donovan (Damages, 'SpaceCamp'), introducing Ed Begley Jr. as Jack's con man uncle Nate. Dan's protective nature rules here, in a charming epi featuring guests Method Man (as firebug Kenny Griffin), Dana Wheeler-Nicholson (Friday Night Lights) as barracuda 'Meredith', and Angela Sarafyan ('Love Hurts') as the Dallas PD's latest lab assistant, arsonphile Samantha. Jenny Wade was especially enchanting drunk. :lol: RonReaco Lee (Let's Stay Together) delivered some laughs as barkeep Julius Brown in this story of arson for hire. Dan's sexy squeeze of the week, Meredith, was especially fun! :shock:
Bradley Whitford & Ed Begley Jr. in "Old Dogs"

Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team 5 reached my favorite parts of preliminary tryouts this week: final solo routines & the sitdown interviews. A number of girls prep for their solo routines by polishing up at (DCC technical advisor) Kitty Carter's Dance Factory, as this stage sees the auditioners shrink to 45 from 70. Last season's Kenley Minchew & Ashley Kelly came back for another try, but sadly, neither made it to camp. Choreographer Judy Trammell was against her in last week's premiere and questions Kenley directly in her interview about her leaving camp last year to honor pageant obligations instead. No real reason is given why Ashley didn't make it; she says she'll try again next year, I hope she does. Ashley's a sweetheart. As hard as she worked last training camp and as much as they rode her, I wish they would've explained why they didn't let her through this time. Lovely Lauren Gibler from Santa Barbara gets profiled and despite Judy Trammell voting for her, fails to progress. I hope she tries again too. I love the solo routines because the pool is so large that some wild costumes and unconventional routines pop up, and the interviews are always a hoot. Veterans and new girls are all asked about their personal qualities, Cowboys trivia & personnel, as well as general facts about the U.S.A. This year the national anthem got especially murdered. In the new stadium with the giant "big board" aiding their final (kickline, combo memory, etc) selections, Kelli & Judy make history by graduating every returning DCC veteran to training camp - yep, veterans have to earn their way to training camp every year just like the n00bs. Columbian teen Paula Tabares, and, Texan wildchild Meagan Flaherty get spotlighted; watching the video of Meagan's jaw getting stomped on her first bullride was less than pleasant. Training camp invitations were as dramatic as always, particularly among the last few named. Texas rose Lauren Williams was one of the last called up... the spoiler point below pertains to her. Regular readers of my reviews may notice this show being the first 30min reality show to make my list, expect it to be featured there often. I totally love this series. It's literally amazing how much these ladies are put through to wear the blue & white.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Lauren not only made it to training camp, she successfully makes it through to join the squad! Interestingly, she likes to blog. Her favorite 10 tv shows are listed and written about here.
Lauren Williams

Viewers who can't wait to learn who makes the DCC squad can spoil themselves here!

DCC:5 on CMT

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum