Advertisement

Call for Reviews: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12257
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 28 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:57 am

Punchy wrote:Heyheyheynow, I got the job! So I'll be off to the shop today!


Congrats! What sort of employment will you be enjoying?
Image

Advertisement

Muppetesque
User avatar
Cunning Linguist
 
Posts: 23080
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:10 am
Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Muppetesque » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:03 am

Finally! A book I'm willing to try! I will be picking it up either Fri or Sat -- Although at the rate I find books I'm interested in trying I'll never last on the list long enough to make a pick :p.
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby ****** » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 am

nerdygirl wrote:Finally! A book I'm willing to try! I will be picking it up either Fri or Sat -- Although at the rate I find books I'm interested in trying I'll never last on the list long enough to make a pick :p.


Wait, weren't you saying in that other thread you don't like comics with gratuitous violence? Kick Ass is like the poster child for gratuitous violence. :lol:

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 am

John Snow wrote:
Wait, weren't you saying in that other thread you don't like comics with gratuitous violence? Kick Ass is like the poster child for gratuitous violence. :lol:


Ignore her lunacy.

Eli Katz
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 10907
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 48 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:05 am

Punchy wrote:Heyheyheynow, I got the job! So I'll be off to the shop today!

Hope it work out well. Congratulations.

Greg
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 22143
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:17 pm
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Greg » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:06 am

nerdygirl wrote:Finally! A book I'm willing to try! I will be picking it up either Fri or Sat -- Although at the rate I find books I'm interested in trying I'll never last on the list long enough to make a pick :p.


...WTF? :smt017
Image
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Eli Katz
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 10907
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 48 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:07 am

nerdygirl wrote:Finally! A book I'm willing to try! I will be picking it up either Fri or Sat -- Although at the rate I find books I'm interested in trying I'll never last on the list long enough to make a pick :p.

To be honest, picking a book can suck. If your turn comes on a week of crap, then you are left choosing a comic that you would never normally read.

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12257
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 28 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am

Full review to come along later, but I was surprised how good this was.
Image

Muppetesque
User avatar
Cunning Linguist
 
Posts: 23080
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:10 am
Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Muppetesque » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 am

John Snow wrote:
Wait, weren't you saying in that other thread you don't like comics with gratuitous violence? Kick Ass is like the poster child for gratuitous violence. :lol:



Gratuitous violence was Punchy's term, not mine. Violence on the whole, turns me off to books. But I'm not so strict as I don't stretch myself occasionally. (Heck I've tried Scalped and I've tried other violent titles). In this case I liked the movie so much, I'm willing to try the comic. When I read it I might not like it.

That being said, yes there is a ton of violence in the original Kick Ass film -- but when you dig into one of the themes running beneath Kick-Ass -- our desensitization to violence -- all the violence is hardly gratuitous. Our first introduction to Hit Girl is her Dad shooting her and it's played with all the casualness of a game of catch. Yes, in a way Kick Ass both adds to the problem of excessive violence in our media but at the same time is a commentary on it and on its effects.

We'll see if I like the comic when I post my review ;).
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

Eli Katz
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 10907
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 48 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:46 am

nerdygirl wrote:

Gratuitous violence was Punchy's term, not mine. Violence on the whole, turns me off to books. But I'm not so strict as I don't stretch myself occasionally. (Heck I've tried Scalped and I've tried other violent titles). In this case I liked the movie so much, I'm willing to try the comic. When I read it I might not like it.

That being said, yes there is a ton of violence in the original Kick Ass film -- but when you dig into one of the themes running beneath Kick-Ass -- our desensitization to violence -- all the violence is hardly gratuitous. Our first introduction to Hit Girl is her Dad shooting her and it's played with all the casualness of a game of catch. Yes, in a way Kick Ass both adds to the problem of excessive violence in our media but at the same time is a commentary on it and on its effects.

We'll see if I like the comic when I post my review ;).

Also, your avatar is gratuitously violent and hilarious.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 am

It's interesting how often these days simply portraying something like violence in a film is equated with a commentary on violence in the media. I expect more from my commentaries than that, frankly.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Muppetesque
User avatar
Cunning Linguist
 
Posts: 23080
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:10 am
Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Muppetesque » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 am

Eli Katz wrote:Also, your avatar is gratuitously violent and hilarious.


Contrary to the image most of you have of me, I'm a complex woman. :smt102
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Starlord » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:16 am

Punchy wrote:Heyheyheynow, I got the job! So I'll be off to the shop today!



congrats!!!
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Congrats! What sort of employment will you be enjoying?


Just working in WH Smiths, a bookshop/newsagents/stationers.

It's only Christmas contract at first, but if I do well, it could become full-time.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week 245: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Punchy wrote:
Just working in WH Smiths, a bookshop/newsagents/stationers.

It's only Christmas contract at first, but if I do well, it could become full-time.


Hopefully they at least give temporary help a good discount?
Image

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Zechs and 185 guests

Advertisement