Tuesday, May 31, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Trash eaters."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Call for Reviews: KICK-ASS 2 #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:57 am

Punchy wrote:Heyheyheynow, I got the job! So I'll be off to the shop today!

Congrats! What sort of employment will you be enjoying?

Muppetesque

Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:03 am

Finally! A book I'm willing to try! I will be picking it up either Fri or Sat -- Although at the rate I find books I'm interested in trying I'll never last on the list long enough to make a pick :p.

Postby ****** » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 am

nerdygirl wrote:Finally! A book I'm willing to try! I will be picking it up either Fri or Sat -- Although at the rate I find books I'm interested in trying I'll never last on the list long enough to make a pick :p.

Wait, weren't you saying in that other thread you don't like comics with gratuitous violence? Kick Ass is like the poster child for gratuitous violence. :lol:

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 am

John Snow wrote:
Wait, weren't you saying in that other thread you don't like comics with gratuitous violence? Kick Ass is like the poster child for gratuitous violence. :lol:

Ignore her lunacy.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:05 am

Hope it work out well. Congratulations.

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:06 am

nerdygirl wrote:Finally! A book I'm willing to try! I will be picking it up either Fri or Sat -- Although at the rate I find books I'm interested in trying I'll never last on the list long enough to make a pick :p.

...WTF? :smt017

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:07 am

To be honest, picking a book can suck. If your turn comes on a week of crap, then you are left choosing a comic that you would never normally read.

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am

Full review to come along later, but I was surprised how good this was.

Muppetesque

Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 am

John Snow wrote:

Gratuitous violence was Punchy's term, not mine. Violence on the whole, turns me off to books. But I'm not so strict as I don't stretch myself occasionally. (Heck I've tried Scalped and I've tried other violent titles). In this case I liked the movie so much, I'm willing to try the comic. When I read it I might not like it.

That being said, yes there is a ton of violence in the original Kick Ass film -- but when you dig into one of the themes running beneath Kick-Ass -- our desensitization to violence -- all the violence is hardly gratuitous. Our first introduction to Hit Girl is her Dad shooting her and it's played with all the casualness of a game of catch. Yes, in a way Kick Ass both adds to the problem of excessive violence in our media but at the same time is a commentary on it and on its effects.

We'll see if I like the comic when I post my review ;).

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:46 am

nerdygirl wrote:

Gratuitous violence was Punchy's term, not mine. Violence on the whole, turns me off to books. But I'm not so strict as I don't stretch myself occasionally. (Heck I've tried Scalped and I've tried other violent titles). In this case I liked the movie so much, I'm willing to try the comic. When I read it I might not like it.

That being said, yes there is a ton of violence in the original Kick Ass film -- but when you dig into one of the themes running beneath Kick-Ass -- our desensitization to violence -- all the violence is hardly gratuitous. Our first introduction to Hit Girl is her Dad shooting her and it's played with all the casualness of a game of catch. Yes, in a way Kick Ass both adds to the problem of excessive violence in our media but at the same time is a commentary on it and on its effects.

We'll see if I like the comic when I post my review ;).

Also, your avatar is gratuitously violent and hilarious.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 am

It's interesting how often these days simply portraying something like violence in a film is equated with a commentary on violence in the media. I expect more from my commentaries than that, frankly.

Muppetesque

Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 am

Eli Katz wrote:Also, your avatar is gratuitously violent and hilarious.

Contrary to the image most of you have of me, I'm a complex woman. :smt102

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:16 am

congrats!!!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Congrats! What sort of employment will you be enjoying?

Just working in WH Smiths, a bookshop/newsagents/stationers.

It's only Christmas contract at first, but if I do well, it could become full-time.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Punchy wrote:
Just working in WH Smiths, a bookshop/newsagents/stationers.

It's only Christmas contract at first, but if I do well, it could become full-time.

Hopefully they at least give temporary help a good discount?

leave a comment with facebook