Advertisement

GIJoe: America's Elite #36 - FINAL ISSUE!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

US Agent
cheese

Liked in: 20 posts

GIJoe: America's Elite #36 - FINAL ISSUE!

Postby US Agent » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:19 pm

The final issue hits on Wednesday. [EDIT: The issue has been pushed back to July 2nd] From everything I've been hearing this will be a wrap on the series dating back to the Marvel series with a reboot (involving Larry Hama) in the works from IDW starting in October with an Issue #0 and then following with #1 to kick off the new series in January.

So if this is truly the end... Does Cobra Commander die? That's what I'm looking forward to seeing. I don't believe there will be too many deaths in the final issue, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some DDP created characters to bite the bullet and possibly the head snake himself finally get taken down.

G. I. Joe: America’s Elite #36 (part 12 of 12)
48 pgs, $5.50

Author: Mark Powers
Artists: Mike Bear, Mike Shoyket, Pat Quinn & Jean-Francois Beaulieu
Cover Artist: Michael Golden

This is it! It’s all been leading to this issue! The war finally brings the G.I. Joe team and Cobra face-to-face! Every feud, every drop of bad blood, all the history between these two groups finally meet on the battlefield for THE knock-down, drag-out fight of G. I. Joe comics! Twenty-five years of payoff happens here!

WORLD WAR III part 12!

The FINAL issue in this monumental series! Don’t miss out on the conclusion of the most ambitious G.I. Joe story ever published!

RETAILER INCENTIVE COVER BY HERB TRIMPE, THE FIRST G.I. JOE ARTIST!

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:32 pm

CC is gonna die, but he's going to take some Joes with him. On one hand I'm kinda glad their starting fresh but on the other pissed that all those years of contunity gone. Personally I hope the Baroness or Snake Eyes get the shot.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Storm Shadow or Scarlett get some payback on Firefly as well.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:06 am

I've got five bucks says CC doesn't die. ;)

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I've got five bucks says CC doesn't die. ;)

You read it somehow at Philly didn't you? Cause Devil's Due had a copy at their booth at Chicago to buy. :P

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby C20Percent » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:38 am

Even if Cobra Commander dies, and I hope he doesn't -- I hope Mark Powers is more clever than just death -- then it's not like IDW couldn't "resurrect" him in their 1st issue if they wanted. If IDW chooses to reboot continuity, then it will be entirely their choice, but if they do ignore continuity then I will no longer purchase that book.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:15 pm

C20Percent wrote:Even if Cobra Commander dies, and I hope he doesn't -- I hope Mark Powers is more clever than just death -- then it's not like IDW couldn't "resurrect" him in their 1st issue if they wanted. If IDW chooses to reboot continuity, then it will be entirely their choice, but if they do ignore continuity then I will no longer purchase that book.

Want me to spoil it? I know how it ends well at least one major scene I was glued onto.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:50 pm

Frost wrote:Want me to spoil it? I know how it ends well at least one major scene I was glued onto.

I'd like to hear it, but to avoid pissing off any readers, can you PM it to me?

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 666 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:16 pm

C20Percent wrote:Even if Cobra Commander dies, and I hope he doesn't -- I hope Mark Powers is more clever than just death -- then it's not like IDW couldn't "resurrect" him in their 1st issue if they wanted. If IDW chooses to reboot continuity, then it will be entirely their choice, but if they do ignore continuity then I will no longer purchase that book.

Nothing aggravates me more than the fact that they're doing this. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the GI Joe continuity, and the only reason they're doing it, regardless of what their press release says, is so that they can try to cash in on the movie with a younger audience who never read the old books. The problem with that is that no one gives a flying fuck about GI Joe other than the people who were fans in the eighties and early nineties. Those are the people who are going to see the movie, and those are the people who are going to read the book, and those people don't want to read a fucking reboot. Also, the movie is going to stink. This lack of respect for the Joe comic continuity, of which I've invested nearly twenty years in collecting, really, really pisses me off.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Nothing aggravates me more than the fact that they're doing this. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the GI Joe continuity, and the only reason they're doing it, regardless of what their press release says, is so that they can try to cash in on the movie with a younger audience who never read the old books. The problem with that is that no one gives a flying fuck about GI Joe other than the people who were fans in the eighties and early nineties. Those are the people who are going to see the movie, and those are the people who are going to read the book, and those people don't want to read a fucking reboot. Also, the movie is going to stink. This lack of respect for the Joe comic continuity, of which I've invested nearly twenty years in collecting, really, really pisses me off.

Yeah at first I thought this was gonna rock. Then I remembered whose directing this and the last movie he did was pathetic and he had Dracula, the Wolfman, and Frankenstein's Monster in the freakin movie and it still um.. sucked!

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby C20Percent » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:21 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Nothing aggravates me more than the fact that they're doing this. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the GI Joe continuity, and the only reason they're doing it, regardless of what their press release says, is so that they can try to cash in on the movie with a younger audience who never read the old books. The problem with that is that no one gives a flying fuck about GI Joe other than the people who were fans in the eighties and early nineties. Those are the people who are going to see the movie, and those are the people who are going to read the book, and those people don't want to read a fucking reboot. Also, the movie is going to stink. This lack of respect for the Joe comic continuity, of which I've invested nearly twenty years in collecting, really, really pisses me off.

I think IDW is going to be quite surprised that's the way most people feel. I read the Comic-Con panel and everybody was just slurping Larry Hama -- they really didn't question the relaunch. I can't see this working, but there were some readers that didn't care about the Spider-Man reboot; they kept reading. I can only hope that the IDW relaunch fails, and they reboot the series from where DD left off.

It would be too weird to see Lady Jaye alive again, General Hawk un-paralyzed, or Snake Eye's origin changed. Devils Due crafted Snake Eye's origin pretty well and seamlessly meshed it with continuity. This is the easiest decision ever and IDW is failing.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:14 pm

C20Percent wrote:I think IDW is going to be quite surprised that's the way most people feel. I read the Comic-Con panel and everybody was just slurping Larry Hama -- they really didn't question the relaunch. I can't see this working, but there were some readers that didn't care about the Spider-Man reboot; they kept reading. I can only hope that the IDW relaunch fails, and they reboot the series from where DD left off.

It would be too weird to see Lady Jaye alive again, General Hawk un-paralyzed, or Snake Eye's origin changed. Devils Due crafted Snake Eye's origin pretty well and seamlessly meshed it with continuity. This is the easiest decision ever and IDW is failing.

Cept give CC a better origin besides the car salesman of doom. But pisses me off cause now Firefly is like back to square one and when you see him fighting with Snake or Storm Shadow it'll loose that thunder of this is the bastard who help murder their master's.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:22 pm

C20Percent wrote:I think IDW is going to be quite surprised that's the way most people feel. I read the Comic-Con panel and everybody was just slurping Larry Hama -- they really didn't question the relaunch. I can't see this working, but there were some readers that didn't care about the Spider-Man reboot; they kept reading. I can only hope that the IDW relaunch fails, and they reboot the series from where DD left off.

It worked for Spider-Man because even though it wiped out some continuity (and not even ALL of it), it still technically took place inside the continuity, and can be undone in the future. Plus, Spider-Man has a much broader fanbase than the GI Joe comic. Let's face it, there aren't gonna be kids out there who see the movie and say DAMN I gotta read me that comic! The market for it is old school fanboys - why piss them off?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:23 pm

Devils Due tried a stupid GI Joe relaunch, right alongside the regular book, GI Joe Reloaded or whatever it was. It wasn't terrible, but people obviously preferred the regular book.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 494 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:27 pm

Yeah, I'm not really into starting a whole new Joe continuity. I want them to keep going every once in awhile.

Same problem I have with the Transformers cartoons...

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Devils Due tried a stupid GI Joe relaunch, right alongside the regular book, GI Joe Reloaded or whatever it was. It wasn't terrible, but people obviously preferred the regular book.

Though it was kinda cool seeing Duke betray G.I. Joe and then get shot in the heart by an arrow from Scarlett and left to sink into sewer water.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand