Advertisement

Call for Reviews - Incognito: Bad Influences #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Re: Review Group Week 246 - INCOGNITO: BAD INFLUENCES #1

Postby ****** » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Do single issue comics even matter next week? All I care about is Absolute ASS. :smt007

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:53 pm

John Snow wrote:Do single issue comics even matter next week? All I care about is Absolute ASS. :smt007

That's already out, I saw it in my shop today, and King Impulse has a copy.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week 246 - INCOGNITO: BAD INFLUENCES #1

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I wish I knew if I'd like it enough to! It's such a conundrum.

And if I did like it, what edition to buy?

You can always borrow my hardcovers and see if that appeals to your tastes.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Punchy wrote:

I guess I should 'op on a plane and score wahn there then. :roll:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:16 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
You can always borrow my hardcovers and see if that appeals to your tastes.

When I have less stuff in a pile to read I might take you up on that if the offer's still open. Just got 2 feet of tpbs and gns this week. I wish I could take a lot of time to read it all, but I have to stay highly motivated to sell things both in the shop and online through the new year and also have a few in town and out of town things to buy or sell at. Can't believe it's that time of year again already.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Ah screw it, I'm gonna quit listing stuff and read the rest of Stickleback, I can't hold out any longer.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Punchy wrote:

Yeah, it looked so good. I had to leave really quickly though because Doctor Who cosplay guy was in there and it was like having knives shoved into my teeth.

Dunno how approachable Scarlet #3 will be, but Invincible #75 should be a huge blowout issue and I have a big soft spot for Connor Kent, especially in his lil' Trinity with Bart and Tim. I wish those guys had their own road trip book\sitcom.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 502 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Zero wrote:Two thirds of them look pretty good.

Also I read Incognito today and will review tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be using the word 'Sleeper' a hell of a lot in this week's review.

I don't see the comparsions to be honest. Sure, face value, they're there but, overall, Sleeper is about a guy trying to figure out who he is while Incognito is about a guy trying to see where he fits.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:17 am

Incongnito #1

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips together gives me the same feeling I've only felt a few times before: Chris Claremont and John Byrne, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, George Perez and Marv Wolfman, George Perez and Steve Englehart, George Perez and just about anybody but I digress.

Acutually I haven't read volume 1 yet but it's in my personal list of must reads. After reading this I moved it up to the top of that list. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a comic as much as this. Both art and dialogue come together here in such a perfectly symbiotic way that it transcends the average comic book. I can't imagine if you enjoyed the first volume you could not like the beginning of this one. I hate having to choose after a near perfect pick like this.

Story: 9.5
Art: 9.5
My Score: 9.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:06 am

So this is crime noir with superpowers, eh? This is my first read of Incognito, so I'm not familiar with the characters. Therefore, I was disappointed to find that there was no recap page - just a note telling readers to pick up the first trade. This annoyed me a little bit, because this is a small indy book, and I think the creators should be happy new readers are picking it up and show a little courtesy.

That being said, I did enjoy the issue for the most part. The characters were laid out and the story set up in a way I could follow. This book is a sharp contrast from another Icon book we recently reviewed, Millar's Nemesis. Where Nemesis was all concept, no real substance, this book had substance but kind of a generic concept. The concept, "crime book with superpowers and an unlikeable, villainish protaganist," sounds good on paper to hipsters, but in reality is kind of a mishmash of a bunch of other concepts that hipsters are into, like a hipster comic long island iced tea. But despite that, it's well written and looks nice, and I'll probably stick with it for a few issues to see if it picks up.

As far as new, non-superhero books I've been trying lately, Casanova and Morning Glories blow this out of the water, but I really don't mean to come off like I dislike it. It's better than average, but bland at the same time. Maybe I'm missing something.

6/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:13 am

Jude, Hipsters don't like Incognito because it's too superheroey! They much prefer Criminal.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:47 am

Jude Terror wrote:So this is crime noir with superpowers, eh? This is my first read of Incognito, so I'm not familiar with the characters. Therefore, I was disappointed to find that there was no recap page - just a note telling readers to pick up the first trade. This annoyed me a little bit, because this is a small indy book, and I think the creators should be happy new readers are picking it up and show a little courtesy.

That being said, I did enjoy the issue for the most part. The characters were laid out and the story set up in a way I could follow. This book is a sharp contrast from another Icon book we recently reviewed, Millar's Nemesis. Where Nemesis was all concept, no real substance, this book had substance but kind of a generic concept. The concept, "crime book with superpowers and an unlikeable, villainish protaganist," sounds good on paper to hipsters, but in reality is kind of a mishmash of a bunch of other concepts that hipsters are into, like a hipster comic long island iced tea. But despite that, it's well written and looks nice, and I'll probably stick with it for a few issues to see if it picks up.

As far as new, non-superhero books I've been trying lately, Casanova and Morning Glories blow this out of the water, but I really don't mean to come off like I dislike it. It's better than average, but bland at the same time. Maybe I'm missing something.

6/10

Looks like you didn't miss much, that pretty much puts a bumper sticker on it,

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 am

Punchy wrote:Jude, Hipsters don't like Incognito because it's too superheroey! They much prefer Criminal.

Except the last arc of Criminal has a lot of the same problems in terms of following a course readers of genre fiction are all too familiar with.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:13 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Except the last arc of Criminal has a lot of the same problems in terms of following a course readers of genre fiction are all too familiar with.

The Sinners was genuinely suspenseful, though. Lawless had three sets of people after him: the boy-killers, the army investigator, and his mob boss. So while the book was going over familiar terrain (I won't argue with you that the basic plot was cliche), it had enough twists and bumps to make you want to see what happens next.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:31 am

Eli Katz wrote:The Sinners was genuinely suspenseful, though. Lawless had three sets of people after him: the boy-killers, the army investigator, and his mob boss. So while the book was going over familiar terrain (I won't argue with you that the basic plot was cliche), it had enough twists and bumps to make you want to see what happens next.

Just about, yeah, but the next volume should really try to open the scope of the book more...I don't feel very articulate at the moment so I can't be much clearer right now.

Writing crime fiction is hard, it's much more difficult than people imagine when readers are even moderately well-versed in the genre, to keep them interested. Sometimes it falls to characters, and in Lawless I felt like I had seen them all many times.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand