Advertisement

DDD on Thanos Imperative and marvel cosmos

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

DonDaddyD
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

DDD on Thanos Imperative and marvel cosmos

Postby DonDaddyD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:03 am

OK, I'm a big fan of the Marvel cosmic scene, always have been and probably always will be.

Let me get this out there. Thanos Imperative, brilliant story, brilliant comic. In my opinion its the best cosmic event DnA have put out since they took over the from Giffen's original Annihilation, which is in my mind, arguably the best cosmic event story since Infinity Guantlet.

There is just one sticking point I have with Thanos Imperative. They didn't need to write it or to be more clear, execute it in the way they done.

Lets go back a few years, Thanos was dead. He was killed, rightly and finally by Drax. The way Drax did it was both beautiful and absolute. Not just the actual killing strike but the entire comic, the lengths he went to in order to just get to Thanos.

Thanos' story was all but over, he died, he was with Death, if you read the Thanos series prior you'd understand that that piece of character development had gone full circle and blossomed. I would have been happy never to have seen Thanos again except in abstract form alongside Death.

I was looking forward to getting to know this Thanos:

They didn't need to bring him back.

Phyla-Vell, and this is what really bugs me. She went through huge swathes of character development, first as Quasar and then as Martyr. She was the new 'Avatar of Death'. Lord Mar-Vell himself the Avatar would try to hide its true nature. Thanos is hardly the best attempt at hiding that nature. Quite besides which, how much cooler would it have been for Phyla, who has always struggled under her Father's legacy, to finally meet him.

I mean the concepts of Life and Death are already juxtaposed and flipped on their head: Life being evil and Death being good. What two better characters to have this played out other than those in the Captain Mar-Vell legacy, given the original characters so honest and upsetting death to cancer. In contrast Thanos has already been done.

So here we have it, Thanos yet again the nihilist, being forced fed into the hell he would call life either worshipping death or dealing it. It's no longer irnoic that Thanos should worship Death and save the Universe. It's boring, and while the comic is superb and it is. I feel sold short. We know Thanos will stop Captain Marvel, we know he'll either live or die.

My second issue is the Guardians of the Galaxy, I simply cannot keep up with all the characters. Where is Groot, Moondragon, Jack Flag?

Advertisement

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Re: DDD on Thanos Imperative and marvel cosmos

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:07 am

I too wondered where Groot was in all this?

And on a related note: come on Marvel! Where the fucks my Annihilation omnibus? One of the best books of all times and you chop it into three volumes? Shame on you! :smt011
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

DonDaddyD
cheese

Postby DonDaddyD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:11 am

All I'm saying is if this book was six issues (and a couple Guardians of Galaxy issues) to ressurect Thanos and to kill him again when he died perfectly well the last time round, then while hugely enjoyable it is ultimately pointless.

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:16 am

DonDaddyD wrote:All I'm saying is if this book was six issues (and a couple Guardians of Galaxy issues) to ressurect Thanos and to kill him again when he died perfectly well the last time round, then while hugely enjoyable it is ultimately pointless.

You mean like just about every other character in every other comic ever?

*cough*Jean Grey*cough*
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon

DonDaddyD
cheese

Postby DonDaddyD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:23 am

Yeah but at least Jean didn't come back from death just to die in the space of six issues.

I'll also throw this out there, DnA great ongoing Marvel cosmic writers. OK events writers.

Lets weigh this up, War of Kings was unbalanced, Nova didn't show up and Guardians of the Galaxy had one page. Moreover Blackbolt should have ended Vulcan during the scream which should have caused the fault without the aid of the T-bomb. He is just taht awesome.

Annihilation Conquest was mediocre.

Thanos Imperative, awesome just a redundant character when using Martyr would have made it fresh, new and vibrant.

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:25 am

DonDaddyD wrote:Yeah but at least Jean didn't come back from death just to die in the space of six issues.

I'll also throw this out there, DnA great ongoing Marvel cosmic writers. OK events writers.

Lets weigh this up, War of Kings was unbalanced, Nova didn't show up and Guardians of the Galaxy had one page. Moreover Blackbolt should have ended Vulcan during the scream which should have caused the fault without the aid of the T-bomb. He is just taht awesome.

Thanos Imperative, awesome just a redundant character when using Martyr would have made it fresh, new and vibrant.

But you're drawing conclusions to a story that hasn't concluded yet.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:33 am

He apparently dies again in the next issue of Thanos Imperative.

Problem solved. :P

DonDaddyD
cheese

Postby DonDaddyD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:35 am

True, Thanos could:

Survive and stop Lord Mar-Vell
Die and stop Lord Mar-Vell
Not die and not stop Lord Mar-Vell
Die and not stop Lord Mar-Vell

All I'm saying is that those outcomes would have been much more interesting had the entre story revolved around Phyla and the barstardised version of her Dad. Think of the potential conflicting heartache, drama and tension

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 324 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:08 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:Yeah but at least Jean didn't come back from death just to die in the space of six issues.

if you read Morrison's New X-Men you'd know that Jean died in an issue only to be brought back and killed again.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews