Thursday, April 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Still Kardashian free!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Review Group Week 247 - SUPERBOY #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 pm

thefourthman wrote:stop being pendatic!

But that's all he's got! :P

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:47 pm

thefourthman wrote:stop being pendatic!

You fucking come on and make me!

I don't want to actually review this until Starlord has gone back home to Michigan on Sunday.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Punchy wrote:
You just referred to American Vampire as a 'Hipster Mixtape Book'.

Yes, I'm describing the book as a hipster mixtape, not calling the book itself a hipster. As in the book is like a mixtape created by a hipster, because it mixes together a bunch of hipster favorite genres and cliches. Nowhere did I say that the book itself is a hipster, that would be ridiculous.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:55 pm

Jude Terror wrote:

Yes, I'm describing the book as a hipster mixtape, not calling the book itself a hipster. As in the book is like a mixtape created by a hipster, because it mixes together a bunch of hipster favorite genres and cliches. Nowhere did I say that the book itself is a hipster, that would be ridiculous.

Now you're rivalling VS for pedantry, you know what I mean.

In what world can both Superboy and American Vampire be aimed at hipsters? I think it's time for me to revive that 'What exactly is a Hipster comic?' thread, because your claims are mad to say the least, at some point, you have to accept that some things are enjoyed at face value and not with a hipster veneer of irony, American Vampire was co-created and co-written by Stephen King, a man who knows his vampires and his traditional horror, he is not a hipster. Superboy is a traditional superhero comic with traditional elements, not very hipsterish either.

I think you're just using it as a catch-all term for anything you don't like.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:58 pm

THis is a werid fucking thread. I have work to do, later.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Punchy wrote:
Now you're rivalling VS for pedantry, you know what I mean.

I don't know what you mean. You claimed I was calling the book a hipster, and I pointed out that it's not possible for an inanimate object to have personality traits or characteristics (except maybe in DC comics, where you could have Superbook). You then responded by insisting I did indeed call the book a hipster, and I carefully explained the difference.

In what world can both Superboy and American Vampire be aimed at hipsters? I think it's time for me to revive that 'What exactly is a Hipster comic?' thread, because your claims are mad to say the least, at some point, you have to accept that some things are enjoyed at face value and not with a hipster veneer of irony, American Vampire was co-created and co-written by Stephen King, a man who knows his vampires and his traditional horror, he is not a hipster. Superboy is a traditional superhero comic with traditional elements, not very hipsterish either.

There are things that a hipster likes because they are hip (indie comics), and there are things that a hipster likes because they are ironically awesome (goofy superboy comics). It's certainly possible for both to be directed at Hipsters, especially when the latter is being produced by a beloved hipster writer of hipster indie comics.

I think you're just using it as a catch-all term for anything you don't like.

I think that's how you're using "Pendantic."

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Jude Terror wrote:
I don't know what you mean. You claimed I was calling the book a hipster, and I pointed out that it's not possible for an inanimate object to have personality traits or characteristics (except maybe in DC comics, where you could have Superbook). You then responded by insisting I did indeed call the book a hipster, and I carefully explained the difference.

There are things that a hipster likes because they are hip (indie comics), and there are things that a hipster likes because they are ironically awesome (goofy superboy comics). It's certainly possible for both to be directed at Hipsters, especially when the latter is being produced by a beloved hipster writer of hipster indie comics.

So how does American Vampire fit into this Hipster paradigm? It's neither an Indie book nor goofy and ironic. It's straight-up horror.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Jude Terror wrote:

not to change the subject, but did you get the press release I sent you last week? Cause I just went wide with it.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Punchy wrote:
So how does American Vampire fit into this Hipster paradigm? It's neither an Indie book nor goofy and ironic. It's straight-up horror.

It's a crime western vampire book, according to zero. That's like hipster jungle juice. :lol:

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:08 pm

thefourthman wrote:not to change the subject, but did you get the press release I sent you last week? Cause I just went wide with it.

Yeah I posted it, didn't I? I thought I did.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Jude Terror wrote:
Yeah I posted it, didn't I? I thought I did.

yeah, you did.

I promise I will write up the panels on Sunday night!

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:yeah, you did.

I promise I will write up the panels on Sunday night!

Excellent!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Jude Terror wrote:
It's a crime western vampire book, according to zero. That's like hipster jungle juice. :lol:

This current arc is not a Western, it's a Vampire story that's set in the past rather than the present.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Hey if I wanted to make a call for people to cover, should I do it here (newstand), the writers forum or the asylum?

I may be able to cover a couple things, but I will more than likely be busy with like actual work and shit.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey if I wanted to make a call for people to cover, should I do it here (newstand), the writers forum or the asylum?

I may be able to cover a couple things, but I will more than likely be busy with like actual work and shit.

Who's likely to be there from the OH?

leave a comment with facebook