Advertisement

Review Group Week 247 - SUPERBOY #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Review Group Week 247 - SUPERBOY #1

Postby Starlord » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:13 pm

Superboy#1

I liked this a lot. Conner is, though, one of my favorite characters from his particular generation. And no, it's not because of his unrequited love with Tim Wayne. This is a character that has one of the coolest origins in comic book history. I mean can any other character say that he is the son of two dads! It's history in the making.

The art here was very pleasing on the eyes, but the story out shined it. Anytime Phantom Stranger shows up it's a nice surprise that usually means something cool is going to happen soon. With the way the first issue reeled me in, I'm positive it's going to be a fun ride. Nothing here that I can seriously complain about. It's what I wanted in a Superboy comic and the first issue shows that I might get what I want.

Story: 9
Art 8
My Score: 8.75

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 749 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:21 pm

You know what pisses me off? I kinda want to get the next issue of this.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Jude Terror wrote:You know what pisses me off? I kinda want to get the next issue of this.

I think that's great. Relax, you might just find that you'll enjoy it. Even if it is D.C. :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:30 pm

I agree with Zero. This is a "nice" comic. It looks good. It reads well. It has a retro-DC, feel-good vibe to it. It has a cool villain, the Phantom Stranger, corn fields, and Krypto. My only complaint -- and it's a minor one -- is that Krypto has a cape. This poor dog needs a new look.

STORY: 7
ART: 7
OVERALL: 7

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:43 am

Jude Terror wrote:You know what pisses me off? I kinda want to get the next issue of this.

Hipster!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:43 am

Thanks to Superboy I might actually have three DCU books on my pull list next month. First time since IC that this has happened. Madness!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Superboy #1 - Smallville Attacks! Part One' - Lemire & Gallo

Story - Jeff Lemire's transition from Independent Comics to the Mainstream has been fairly low-key and steady so far, he started a Vertigo series (the superlative Sweet Tooth), and then a back-up story featuring the Atom, all pretty under the radar stuff. But with Superboy, Lemire is writing a Superman family book, a book slap-bang in the centre of the DCU, this is the big-time. And Lemire really does manage to step up to the plate, but he doesn't forget where he came from.

When this book was announced, I was very pleased, proclaiming that 'Smallville is basically the Essex County of DC' and it seems that Lemire has been thinking the same thing, the first page, featuring a young boy dressed as a superhero, is straight out of 'Tales From The Farm', and Lemire proves very adept at working with the rural setting of Smallville, and keeping the strong sense of character he imbues places with.

But this isn't just Essex County with Superboy, Lemire has grabbed the DCU trappings by their horns, and this issue features guest-appearances from characters from all over, The Phantom Stranger makes an ominous appearance, Superboy fights The Parasite, and then Poison Ivy shows up, it's good to see Lemire not only immediately use a classic Superman villain, but also bring in some characters you wouldn't think of. The last page, which teases the next year or so of Superboy stories only adds to that, we can expect Kid Flash, the Doom Patrol and even the Earth-2 Robin.

Lemire wisely chooses to pick up several story elements and characters from Geoff Johns' aborted run on Adventure Comics, namely Simon Valentine, a sort of mini-Lex Luthor and Kon-El's best friend, and Lori Luthor, the niece of old Baldy himself. I really enjoyed Johns and Manapul's work in Adventure, and was sad to see it end, so it's a really good thing that Lemire is continuing that stuff on. This isn't just Smallville the TV series in comics form, there is new stuff here.

This issue isn't perfect however, I did feel that it was a little short, and ended abruptly, I think this issue would have benefited from being a double-sized debut, I'd have been willing to pay the extra dollar, maybe they could have brought in some elements from the one-off Action Comics back-up from a few months ago. Lemire's pacing is normally very solid in Sweet Tooth, so I was surprised by this, but hopefully it's just teething problems.

Overall, this was a strong first issue featuring a character I have liked ever since he first appeared, written by a creator gaining in confidence with every superhero comic he writes. With JMS' fundamental misunderstanding of Superman stinking up the stands lately, thank God the peripheral books are stronger than ever.

Art - Pier Gallo is an artist I'm unfamiliar with, but I felt he did a good job here, he's not quite as good as Francis Manapul was when dealing with the same characters and setting, but he did a good job, especially I feel in how he drew secret identity Conner Kent and Superboy, it was just a slight difference in hair-styles, but it really worked. The colours of Jamie Grant combined with the strong ink line really made this book look good.

Best Line - 'I know that you're Superboy!' It's the simple stuff that stood out here, and that's what this book is, simple superheroics done well.

8/10

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Superboy #1

The DC continuity gymnastics that is Conner Kent has never appealed to me. I know lots of younger readers around these parts seem to dig him, but I didn't read Young Justice or Johns' Teen Titans so I have zero connection to the character. When someone says Superboy, I still think of a teenage Clark Kent.

Jeff Lemire has done some damn good comic booking over the past couple of years. This was my first experience with his work for hire output and for me it didn't really have the same spark as his creator owned stuff. While I think Lemire did a nice job of setting a tone that would be appealing to fans of a more traditional take on Superboy, I still had problems connecting to Conner as a character. I would like to have seen more of the straightforward small town teen drama and less of the big superhero fight that seemingly took up half the book.

The layouts and storytelling of Pier Gallo felt consistent and were easy to follow, but his figures and faces were a bit stiff when trying to convey emotion. Jamie Grant's bright and vibrant color pallet fit the tone of the book perfectly.

Story: 7.5
Art: 6.5
Overall: 7

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:35 pm

SUPERBOY #1

Like Jude, I am not down with the whole superboy, girl, dog ,lemur thing. It is my biggest problem with the Hulk comics right now and I just don't understand why there can't just be Superman (or Hulk) ...it is also one of the reasons I stay away from most DC comics. That being said I actually enjoyed this comic, aside from not knowing who the Phantom Stranger was it was an easy grasp for a newbie. Jeff Lemire who's Essex County and Sweet Tooth I am a big fan of does a good job setting up this new series in a way where it wasn't too bogged down in previous events. I did roll my eyes at Lori Luthor being introduced... The art was solid, one thing that was bugging me was the way the artist had Conner wearing his glasses like a grandma, what was that all about? ...and just a observation from someone who doesn't read much DC, how many effing Batman books are there? sheesh!

I did like this, maybe I'll pick up number 2 but I doubt I will remember to next month.

STORY - 8

ART - 7

OVERALL - 7.9

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:11 pm

As always, I thank everyone who read this. If you liked it or not, it was kind of you to spend the money to read it.

Except Jude... that guy deserves it for all the Claremont crap we had to read. :evil:

:wink:

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Sometimes, reading about the minor leaguers can be more interesting than reading about the big guns. That might happen here, but it looks like DC Comics will never allow us to see Superboy as anything other than the "qualifying round" to Superman's "champ." Still, this issue does pretty much what you're looking for from a #1 issue. It establishes the character and his world, shows off his powers, gives him some inner turmoil, and sets up a new story at the end. It isn't flashy, but it is a good, solid first issue.

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 377 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:51 am

Superboy #1

First off, I'm a huge fan of the Kesel run. It was all 'tude and fun. The moment he left it was all "Oh poor me I can never grow up", "Poor me I'm related to Lex", or "Poor me I can never love someone else because I'm related to Lex", etc. Boring!

But there on page 2 - Lemire dispenses with the angst with Conner's "I've moved on" speech. THANK YOU. Let the fun begin.

While not actually 'fun' the sudden appearance of the Phantom Stranger sets the story in motion. I love the Stranger but most of the time he's used wrong. Like here. Instead of feeding us mysteries, all he does is throw warnings out. It's like Lemire (and many many others) have forgotten the guy knows how to get white gloves dirty. Anyway, the dialog slips as PS can't remember if he's talking to Conner or Kon-El.

The scene with Ma Kent was just silly. An entire page to save a woman falling off a chair? Seems like a waste.

Set-up over it's time for the story. "I know you're Superboy" should have been a big moment but from the second it was uttered I began to think of Green Arrow and how anyone with a pair of eye could have figured out his secret ID. Same thing here. Why is this a secret? Either the people of Smallville are idiots or they are all conspired to keep the secret (ala Pete Ross back in the day).

The Parasite is one of my faves and I love seeing him in a smack down. Not sure how wheat grains take him down though.

Ivy coming to town was completely unexpected (and wondering if this will work with her in Sirens).

Writing wise, this was off to a promising start. The side characters need some fleshing out (i.e. Simon is annoying so far)

Art Wise - not so great. Like a few other 'new' DC artists (Cinar on Legion for example) Gallo just isn't ready yet. His faces seem too small for his heads for instance. He could be improved a whole lot if he had an inker.

Story - 8
Art - 3
Overall - 5.5

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:09 am

starlord wrote:Superboy#1

I liked this a lot. Conner is, though, one of my favorite characters from his particular generation. And no, it's not because of his unrequited love with Tim Wayne. This is a character that has one of the coolest origins in comic book history. I mean can any other character say that he is the son of two dads! It's history in the making.

The art here was very pleasing on the eyes, but the story out shined it. Anytime Phantom Stranger shows up it's a nice surprise that usually means something cool is going to happen soon. With the way the first issue reeled me in, I'm positive it's going to be a fun ride. Nothing here that I can seriously complain about. It's what I wanted in a Superboy comic and the first issue shows that I might get what I want.

Story: 9
Art 8
My Score: 8.75

You spelt 'Drake' wrong in the first paragraph :wink:
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Postby ****** » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:35 am

King Impulse wrote:You spelt 'Drake' wrong in the first paragraph :wink:

Who even cares about that loser anymore? Damian is obviously the best Robin ever.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand