Advertisement

Review Group Week 248 - AMERICAN VAMPIRE #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Review Group Week 248 - AMERICAN VAMPIRE #8

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Jude Terror wrote:
Moneybags Newman does have a point. A lot of specials and one-shots that might make a good review group pick may be priced at $4.99. If we're ok with missing out on those...

Moneybags? Try Offtheshelfbags. :lol:

I'm obviously in favor of missing out on those, but who knows what the future may hold.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Radical puts out some great 56-page books that are priced at $4.99. In such cases, the extra dollar would be worth it. But $4.99 for almost any other comic is had to justify.

My recommendation is not to implement a firm rule. A wonderful $4.99 may come out a given week and many in the RG may clamor to review it. I say this needs to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Also, I probably won't review this week's selection. Out-of-town visitors are coming and stealing all my free time.

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Radical puts out some great 56-page books that are priced at $4.99. In such cases, the extra dollar would be worth it. But $4.99 for almost any other comic is had to justify.

My recommendation is not to implement a firm rule. A wonderful $4.99 may come out a given week and many in the RG may clamor to review it. I say this needs to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Between people not being able to get it at their shops and people skipping it due to cost, a $5 Radical book would get 5, maybe 6 reviews tops and I say this as a guy who borderline hates the big 2.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, Fables is the worst shit ever.

How can it be the worst shit ever? Bendis is no where near the book. :smt017

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Radical puts out some great 56-page books that are priced at $4.99. In such cases, the extra dollar would be worth it. But $4.99 for almost any other comic is had to justify.

I think it's a good rule of thumb to follow, though.

For books more than $3.99, I think there should be general approval of the reviewees. If we want to maintain our membership base and (possibly) expand, we should be a little more cost-aware. If the spreadsheet of Doom says that more expensive books deters reviews, then we should take a look at how to correct the trend.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:18 pm

The Review Group would never clamour for a $4.99, this group gets pissy at £1.99 books.

Besides, it's not about what the group wants, it's about what that week's picker wants.

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:23 pm

Punchy wrote: this group gets pissy at £1.99 books.

Speak American, please.

Also, apologies to the lurkers and Kerny for the lack of actual American Vampire talk. :oops:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:25 pm

American Vampire #8

:smt102

This seems like an interesting story, and the the art was great. I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on and who everyone was, though. I still plan to read it in trades later and I'm sure I'll look back on this someday and it'll all make sense.

I don't even know how to score it, looked great, lots of interesting characters...

8 maybe?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Also, I probably won't review this week's selection. Out-of-town visitors are coming and stealing all my free time.

I just raced to the store to buy AV. So maybe, after my visitors leave on Monday, I might be able to do a review.

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I just raced to the store to buy AV. So maybe, after my visitors leave on Monday, I might be able to do a review.

:smt023

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Fables #100 could be an optional read, when it comes out. At the very least, there could be a spin-off thread.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, Fables is the worst shit ever.

Reported, No really.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Anyone who's looked at a projected shipping list for next week probably already knows we will be reading...

Hellboy: Double Feature of Evil
selected by John Snow
Writer: Mike Mignola
Artist: Richard Corben

Eisner Award-winning horror masters Mike Mignola and Richard Corben present this bloodcurdling double--feature comic with Hellboy entering two very different, but very deadly, houses--a carnivorous home and a pagan temple, both hungry for human sacrifices. $3.50

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Richard Corben=win.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand