Advertisement

Call for Reviews - Incognito: Bad Influences #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week 246 - INCOGNITO: BAD INFLUENCES #1

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 pm

John Snow wrote:
But by giving it a 6 you're saying it's no better than Marvel Apes or Gorilla Man based on your previous reviews. If that's what you really think of it that's fine, it's your opinion, but if not you're being disingenuous by grading it based on preconceived notions rather than actual content. (Not that most everyone here isn't guilty of that from time to time.)

I actually think that Gorilla Man and it are equal in enjoyment level for me. Marvel Apes far exceeded my expectations, so it garnered a higher score than it might have.

Again, the whole work can come out different. I would give the first volume of Incognito a ten, whereas after the events of the second issue of Marvel Apes, I couldn't be bothered to finish the series - effectively giving it a zero. As an issue, I would say Marvel Apes #1 and Incognito: Bad Influences #1 entertained me equally - but again, this is based on my expectations of both.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:31 pm

John Snow wrote:
If you're constantly judging things based on expectations you're setting yourself up to fail.

No. We do it all the time. Jude expected Superboy #1 to suck and for him it did, yet he wants to continue reading the book, which means (more than likely) it did not suck to the extent he expected it to.

I try to read each and every book as its own thing, however, certain creators carry a certain expectation level. I expect Brubaker to be a certain caliber everytime. I expect Jeph Loeb to be all over the place... I expect JMS to write an interesting and different story that he never finishes. These expectations are created by having read a large swab of the work that the creators have done.

Even worse for Incognito Bad INfluences, not only did it carry expectations from the creative team, but since it is effectively Issue #7 of a series (as opposed to a true #1) - it carries the baggage from the first six issues. I think we can all agree that it is not as good as any issue of the first series. Why should it score as high?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Furthermore, when someone like Daniel Way, who I dislike his body of work in general, can create a truly entertaining piece of work as he has done in Deadpool, you have to think more of the book, then you would if someone else had written it. Meanwhile, Lapham can create just as entertaining a work with the same character but not create the same level of enthusiasm towards the work.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:48 pm

I never performance score, I just think all the negativity makes me more determined to have a positive outlook, and not be like the rest of the group, it's no fun to have so much negativity.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Punchy wrote:I never performance score, I just think all the negativity makes me more determined to have a positive outlook, and not be like the rest of the group, it's no fun to have so much negativity.

So, it wouldn't bother you if all the wildly high scores for Superboy made me pitch my score lower to counteract you bunch of goose-stepping Pollyannas. :-D

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:No. We do it all the time. Jude expected Superboy #1 to suck and for him it did, yet he wants to continue reading the book, which means (more than likely) it did not suck to the extent he expected it to.

I try to read each and every book as its own thing, however, certain creators carry a certain expectation level. I expect Brubaker to be a certain caliber everytime. I expect Jeph Loeb to be all over the place... I expect JMS to write an interesting and different story that he never finishes. These expectations are created by having read a large swab of the work that the creators have done.

Even worse for Incognito Bad INfluences, not only did it carry expectations from the creative team, but since it is effectively Issue #7 of a series (as opposed to a true #1) - it carries the baggage from the first six issues. I think we can all agree that it is not as good as any issue of the first series. Why should it score as high?

What if you were being a "bad boy" and didn't read the first series? How does that play into this?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:52 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:
What if you were being a "bad boy" and didn't read the first series? How does that play into this?

It would definitely have made me want to read the first mini.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
So, it wouldn't bother you if all the wildly high scores for Superboy made me pitch my score lower to counteract you bunch of goose-stepping Pollyannas. :-D

It probably would, because positivity for ulterior motives is still positivity, whilst being negative to piss off others is just dickish.

That may sound hypocritical, but the end result of being positive is always positive.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Punchy wrote:
It probably would, because positivity for ulterior motives is still positivity, whilst being negative to piss off others is just dickish.

That may sound hypocritical, but the end result of being positive is always positive.

Well as long as it would bother you, then I did.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
It would definitely have made me want to read the first mini.

Mission Accomplished. I guess we'll see if my 9 was justified by Thanksgiving Sunday. Don't worry I'm not changing my score, It felt like a 9 to me, and I'm sticking to it.
Last edited by SilverPhoenix on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Well as long as it would bother you, then I did.

It must be no fun being you.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:
Mission Accomplished. I guess we'll see if my 9 was justified by Thanksgiving Sunday. Don't worry I'm not changing my score, It felt like a 9 to me, and I'm sticking to it.

Trust me, joking aside other people's scores don't give me a moment of bother. In your case it's much more interesting to read your impression of the book up for review. :)

One notable exception was when Jude and Fourthy punked me and I thought Jude banned him for an X-Men Forever score.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Punchy wrote:
It must be no fun being you.

It's a beautiful day, I have the afternoon open to spend as I please, sales are good, the biggest book sale of the year is tomorrow, and I am as happy as can be. :D

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:09 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:

Then your experience may be quite different. You may well enjoy the intrusive recap stuff and will not be as likely to notice the correlations in the relationship of main character guy and the whores he sleeps with. :P

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:21 pm

thefourthman wrote:No. We do it all the time. Jude expected Superboy #1 to suck and for him it did, yet he wants to continue reading the book, which means (more than likely) it did not suck to the extent he expected it to.

Horrible example. Jude's "review" was a pure anti-DC fauxrage rant that was arbitrary to the comic.

I'm not saying expectations shouldn't be a factor in how a book is reviewed, just that it shouldn't be the primary factor. Just because Cap #X wasn't as good as Secret Avengers #Y doesn't mean that Secret Avengers #Y was on a level with New New Avengers #Z because Brubaker didn't live up to my expectations established with Cap #X. The execution and content was still a fuckton better in SA #Y than NNA #Z. (IMO,obv)

Nope. I liked both #1s about equally, I just liked them for different reasons.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand