Advertisement

Call for Reviews - Incognito: Bad Influences #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week 246 - INCOGNITO: BAD INFLUENCES #1

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 pm

John Snow wrote:
Horrible example. Jude's "review" was a pure anti-DC fauxrage rant that was arbitrary to the comic.

I'm not saying expectations shouldn't be a factor in how a book is reviewed, just that it shouldn't be the primary factor. Just because Cap #X wasn't as good as Secret Avengers #Y doesn't mean that Secret Avengers #Y was on a level with New New Avengers #Z because Brubaker didn't live up to my expectations established with Cap #X. The execution and content was still a fuckton better in SA #Y than NNA #Z. (IMO,obv)

Nope. I liked both #1s about equally, I just liked them for different reasons.

And your opinion is no worse or better than mine. It's up to the reader of a review to know their reviewer and what their history means.

Execution is one of my main problems with this book, I would say that both Marvel Apes and Gorilla Man were on the same level, if not better. Content is a different manner, Gorilla Man in many ways is similiar in content, Marvel Apes was less so.

Opinion is opinion. It would be lame to end every review with YMMV, although some reviewers do. Would I reccomend Incognito: Bad INfluences? Yes I would and did, until it sold out. I would also recommend GOrilla Man to the exact same audience. Marvel Apes on the other hand is not going to appeal to the same reader base. Doesn't mean it is a lesser book, it's problems are its own, just as Bad Influences are its own. Neither of the two books you want to harp on cause I gave the same score have the same problems. Incognito Bad Influence had a majorly intrusive recap sequence that affect my reading of the book and caused it to get the score it got. Phillips' art was not on the same level as it was in the first volume. through my eyes. If the fact that those problems of the book lowered my score of the book to a score comparable to two other books that suffered different problems and had other elements that elevated my score of those books lowers your opinion of my criticism, than so be it.

Eli and I have very comparable taste for the most part. I would say 80% of the time we are in agreement on books. However, he thought the Outfit was the lesser of the two Parker GN's, I disagree. He thinks Scarlet is genius, I think it has fatal flaws. And while I enjoyed Marvel Apes #1, I would never in a million years recommend it to him. You are going to be predisposed to particular books, knowing that you are on the fence about Marvel Apes is different when you read a review of it, than it is when you expect to love it or to hate it. The reader must make some decisions about the review as well.

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:Opinion is opinion.

You could have stopped there you know. :wink:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:07 pm

but.... I think this is one of the more interesting (and civil) arguments we have ever had in the rg. It's neat to get everyone's pecularities out in the open. It is also highly philosophical which is particularly appealing as well.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Plus I said like three pages back that while being objective is a goal, literary/art criticism is always subjective in practice. :lol:

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Every RG argument can be ended with the words opinion and/or subjective. :-D

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:17 pm

John Snow wrote:Every RG argument can be ended with the words opinion and/or subjective. :-D

No, your refusal to accept the way I read Hellboy and my understanding of the concept of the book are not subjective. :P

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:No, your refusal to accept the way I read Hellboy and my understanding of the concept of the book are not subjective. :P

I used to read Hellboy that way, but then I got tired of waiting and caught up (I read the single issues now and everything!). You probably have the last 6 Hellboy volumes in your shop. They'll take about 90 minutes to read, you should stop harassing me and get to it. :P

Out of curiosity, what would you have said if the Beasts of Burden/Hellboy one-shot had been picked a few weeks ago?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:28 pm

John Snow wrote:
I used to read Hellboy that way, but then I got tired of waiting and caught up (I read the single issues now and everything!). You probably have the last 6 Hellboy volumes in your shop. They'll take about 90 minutes to read, you should stop harassing me and get to it. :P

Out of curiosity, what would you have said if the Beasts of Burden/Hellboy one-shot had been picked a few weeks ago?

It being a crossover, I do not believe it plays into the world building of the main series.

Hellboy is particularly problematic for me. I feel stupid trying to discuss it. It is so much smarter than me.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:30 pm

I am also behind, but catching up due to bird!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Interesting discussion, guys. Loved reading it. Here are what I consider to be 10s, meaning damn near perfect single issues:

Ex Machina #40

Criminal Vol. 2, No. 2

Unknown Soldier #17

Here are what I consider to be 1s, meaning so totally flawed that they are worth throwing out:

Amazing Spider-Man #545

Any issue of this series:

Nancy in Hell #1

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Barracuda was fun stuff. :twisted:

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:50 pm

John Snow wrote:Barracuda was fun stuff. :twisted:

Just be glad that I didn't post SHIELD 2 or Young Liars. I was tempted, very tempted.

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Just be glad that I didn't post SHIELD 2 or Young Liars. I was tempted, very tempted.

Would have made your whole post irrelevant nonsense if you had.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:00 pm

John Snow wrote:
Would have made your whole post irrelevant nonsense if you had.

Says the guy who celebrates irrelevant nonsense. :P

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Says the guy who celebrates irrelevant nonsense. :P

Not everything has to make sense Eli!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand