Advertisement

Review Group Week 248 - AMERICAN VAMPIRE #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week 248 - AMERICAN VAMPIRE #8

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Not for nothing, but if we are going to set arbitrary price limits on the comics that are picked, it would be nice if consideration was made for the reading habits/choices of particular members of the group.

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:Not for nothing, but if we are going to set arbitrary price limits on the comics that are picked, it would be nice if consideration was made for the reading habits/choices of particular members of the group.

Care to elaborate?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:12 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Care to elaborate?

Until Bird started his discussion group, which is woefully neglected, I PROMISE TO CATCH UP SOON, I was reading Hellboy in Library Editions. It is well known that I trade wait the book and I made a big stink last time the property was chosen.

He made this price decision on his own, with out imput from the group - for the "good of the group" and to keep "grumbling" about price down and participation up and then goes and picks a book that he knows I would rather not read right now.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 pm

thefourthman wrote:Until Bird started his discussion group, which is woefully neglected, I PROMISE TO CATCH UP SOON, I was reading Hellboy in Library Editions. It is well known that I trade wait the book and I made a big stink last time the property was chosen.

He made this price decision on his own, with out imput from the group - for the "good of the group" and to keep "grumbling" about price down and participation up and then goes and picks a book that he knows I would rather not read right now.

You can skip the week. There's not exactly a penalty for skipping that week.

I think, and John can correct me if I'm wrong, that the price point is supposed to help encourage some of the less frequent participants and new members to join. It's hard enough to get people to join and participate in the week's discussion without throwing a series of (more) expensive books into the mix as well.

When you look at all the red on the list, it's kind of scary. :shock:

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:53 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I think, and John can correct me if I'm wrong, that the price point is supposed to help encourage some of the less frequent participants and new members to join. It's hard enough to get people to join and participate in the week's discussion without throwing a series of (more) expensive books into the mix as well.

That's a bingo!

When you look at all the red on the list, it's kind of scary. :shock:

Yeps.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:59 pm

We went through all this Hellboy drama last time, and even though it was a continuity-free new readers special, he still refused.

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Punchy wrote:We went through all this Hellboy drama last time, and even though it was a continuity-free new readers special, he still refused.

He reviewed it and gave it a 10! :-D

Anywho, we can talk about Hellboy next week (and anyone who wants to yell about the price limit thing can pm me), this week is for American Vampire.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:03 pm

just read it, will review later today but I really enjoyed this.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:07 pm

John Snow wrote:
He reviewed it and gave it a 10! :-D

Anywho, we can talk about Hellboy next week (and anyone who wants to yell about the price limit thing can pm me), this week is for American Vampire.

He did? Which only shows how retarded this objection is.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm trade waiting American Vampire. Review next week for Hellboy.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 365 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 pm

John Snow wrote:Anyone who's looked at a projected shipping list for next week probably already knows we will be reading...

Hellboy: Double Feature of Evil
selected by John Snow
Writer: Mike Mignola
Artist: Richard Corben

Eisner Award-winning horror masters Mike Mignola and Richard Corben present this bloodcurdling double--feature comic with Hellboy entering two very different, but very deadly, houses--a carnivorous home and a pagan temple, both hungry for human sacrifices. $3.50

I'll have some extra money next week, and I'm interested in possibly checking this out to review it. However the shops in my area are terribly inconsistent when it comes to getting anything that isn't Marvel or DC that you don't already have in you pull list.

I don't know if I'll be able to get a copy.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:38 am

American Vampire #8

I'm sort or getting burned out on the whole vampire story right now, so it's always refreshing to read something of that genre that interests me. I did enjoy the first seven issues quite a bit but issue #8 seems to have taken the story in a whole different direction - of which I totally approve.

A much more linear story is now evolving and that's just fine with me. Also I think this particular issue actually seemed a bit better than the others without master horror novelist Stephen King involved. Though I'm a HUGE King fan, I always felt that his story seemed to be phoned in.

The art is, in my opinion, some of the best on the marke, as is the inks and colors. This is a great story that is nicely packaged and once again proves that Vertigo is heads and tails above all the other companies in quality.

The only drawback of this week's pick is that it may be a bit bumpy for new readers to get into, but it's not one of the hardest to either. Great pick this week!

Story: 8
Art: 10
My Score: 9.55

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:34 am

American Vampire #8 - 'Devil In The Sand Part Three' - Snyder & Albuquerque

Story - In my review of the first issue of American Vampire for this very site (read it here: http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/punch-drunk-reviews/7031-american-vampire-1-review.html), I focussed a lot on how the Vampire had been twisted into something it was never meant to be by stories like Twilight and True Blood, and that American Vampire was all set to right Edward Cullen's insipid wrongs by returning our Fanged Friends to their roots, but in many ways, I was wrong in that assessment, American Vampire is not exactly a return to old traditions, it's changing vampires just as much as Twilight et al, but it's just doing it in a different way, and this 8th issue, and the 3rd chapter in the book's second story arc, is a good demonstration of that.

Scott Snyder, now going solo without the esteemed Stephen King is creating his very own mythology of Vampires in America, and has developed it wonderfully, and is doing a great job of entwining it with real American History. While the first arc featured stories set in 1920s Hollywood and the Wild West, this second story is all about the building of Las Vegas, and the reveal that the city was built with funding from Vampires is a brilliant bit of business, Las Vegas, a city that comes alive at night, a city of Sin... it's the perfect place for Vampires to get involved, in fact, it's such a great idea that I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. But that's the hallmark of all great ideas isn't it?

This arc has very much been a Historical Crime story with just a hint of Vampires around the edges up until now, with the Young Sheriff Cashel McCogan investigating mysterious deaths that surround the construction of the Hoover Dam, but with this chapter, the Vamps are back in full force, Pearl Jones from the first arc is back, and it's interesting to see how her character has changed and how it has stayed the same, while Skinner Sweet seems fairly unchanging, Pearl is something new, and I can't wait to see what she gets up to next. How Snyder is developing what makes her different is also interesting, it's clear that he has lots of different ideas about lots of different types of Vampires, and when that's revealed it should be very exciting, he has a lot to live up to compared to Chris Roberson's 'Unified Theory Of The Undead' in iZombie, but I'm sure Vertigo has room for both. The development of the Vampire Hunters is also strong here, the Book family was a big part of King's story, so it's good to seem them back in the mix.

American Vampire continues to be one of the strongest comics on the market, Snyder is reinventing the Vampire here, and he's doing it for America, throw in some rock-solid dialogue and a great ending, I can't wait for the conclusion of 'Devil In the Sand' and whatever comes after that.

Art - Rafael Albuquerque continues to be a revelation on this title. Can you continue to be a revelation? I dunno, but if you can, he is. He made the jump from Teenage Superheroes to Horror amazingly, and is just a brilliant fit for this book, managing to tweak his style accordingly for whatever era he's drawing, but also make it a unified whole. Just great.

Best Line - 'Let me get this straight. You want me to tell you how to kill me?'

8/10

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:23 pm

good review Punch. Where is everyone? I've seen barely any reviews for this book and this one is REALLY GOOD!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand