Advertisement

Review Group Week 249 - HELLBOY DOUBLE FEATURE OF EVIL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Review Group Week 249 - HELLBOY DOUBLE FEATURE OF EVIL

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:42 pm

John Snow wrote:
My fault for not picking a Bat, Inc.

I wouldn't worry about it, it is what it is. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:47 pm

You're pretty uppity for a new guy, Stephen.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:51 pm

While the cutoff date remains the same, I want to try to have the questions to Mignola Monday night. That's when I told his wife I'd get them in by...

As for my own excuse, I'm fighting a nasty stomach bug which is preventing me from leaving bed. I'll do mine over lunch tomorrow. Thank god for the internet phone.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:You're pretty uppity for a new guy, Stephen.

My apologies if it came across that way, I didn't intend it that way. I was just making an observation.

Sorry. :oops:

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Next week's pic is....

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Batwoman #0

Written by J.H. WILLIAMS III & W. HADEN BLACKMAN; Art by J.H. WILLIAMS III and AMY REEDER with RICHARD FRIEND; Cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III; 1:10 Variant cover by AMY REEDER
"I suspect that Batwoman is socialite Kate Kane. I intend to prove it beyond a shadow. I need to know if she can be trusted, what her motivations are. I'm going undercover." – Batman: Mission Log Entry 2756

Featuring a unique story composition that combines the art of Eisner Award-winner J.H. Williams III (DETECTIVE COMICS, PROMETHEA) and Amy Reeder (MADAME XANADU), this special #0 issue acts as a new introduction into the life of Batwoman! Things pick up roughly where the BATWOMAN: ELEGY HC left off, and this issue acts as a primer for the upcoming new series featuring multiple award-winning creators!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
My apologies if it came across that way, I didn't intend it that way. I was just making an observation.

Sorry. :oops:

:P No apologies in the Review Group!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
:P No apologies in the Review Group!

Well you got one anyway. :x

:P :wink:
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:13 pm

BlueStreak wrote:While the cutoff date remains the same, I want to try to have the questions to Mignola Monday night. That's when I told his wife I'd get them in by...

As for my own excuse, I'm fighting a nasty stomach bug which is preventing me from leaving bed. I'll do mine over lunch tomorrow. Thank god for the internet phone.

I'm sure I can get something up tomorrow or later tonight if my insomnia kicks in and I get tired of putting mylar jacket protectors on book jackets.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 pm

oh I forgot to ask a question!!!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Alright. My question is: Boxers or Briefs?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Great job, Snow/Amlah

Welcome Bluestreak!

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby David Bird » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:42 pm

My review (which I've blogged as well):

Hellboy: Double Feature of Evil Writer: Mike Mignola; Art: Richard Corben; Color: Dave Stewart; Letters: Clem Robins

Published by Dark Horse, 2010

Sullivan ruined his life with alcohol. He lost everything. Then one day, sitting in a drunken stupor, a strange man approached him. He offered him a gift: a small amount of cash and house in Kansas. From the moment Sullivan accepted the gift, his cravings for alcohol disappeared. The house was old. The body he found inside… not quite so old. Sullivan buried it in the backyard and magically three gold coins appeared. That night he had strange dreams. In the morning his cravings had re-appeared, but he knew what to do. He lured an old woman into the house and shut her in the same room in which he’d found the body. He got three more coins and he buried her in the yard. He called the Bureau and they sent Hellboy. This is the first, and longer, of the two stories in our Double Feature of Evil, a comic very much modeled after the sort of B-movies and Warren comics I enjoyed in the 70s.

Another memory of my 70s childhood was reading Richard Corben in Heavy Metal magazine. I hadn’t come across him too often between and Makoma, his first Hellboy story, and I’ll be honest and admit that it wasn’t until he nailed Asmodeus in The Bride of Hell that I really began to get excited about their collaborations. In my write up of the first B.P.R.D. trade I mentioned how the stories were inked to match Mignola’s work. This is something you see in the more recent Hellboy comics as well. Its not something you’ll see with Corben. He comes to the character with his own well established style. One famous for its larger-than-life, well muscled heroes and its monsters, making him both a distinctive voice and a good fit.

I enjoyed the two stories very much (the second involves a man who draws of ancient magics to get his revenge, but doesn’t take the time to really learn all he should), but having read some online discussion of it, I suspect a part of my enjoyment may stem from being able to draw on, as a reader, the same pop cultural wellsprings I think Mignola did as a writer. These are good stories. Fun stories. Greed, lust, and anger are met with well deserved, but surprising endings. People get what they deserve--eventually--and isn’t that what we all want?

I'll post a question for Mignola shortly.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks for posting David, great review.

In Review Group tradition though, you have to give it a score. :wink:

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby David Bird » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:41 pm

I hate scoring or grading or whatever. I think someone should just read the review and know how good you think it is, but... if I gotta, I gotta: 8.5. Not the greatest Hellboy story ever, but still a great Hellboy story.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 am

Loved this book. I have been a fan of Hellboy for a while and when ever Richard Corben is on art I get excited. As usual he blew it out of the water. As for the story I really like the first one and was meh on the second. Overall 7.5/10

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand