Advertisement

Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:45 pm

Does she wear white clown makeup or is she supposed to be very very pale?

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:Does she wear white clown makeup or is she supposed to be very very pale?

All buxom lipstick lesbians are woefully pale.

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Zero wrote:I wonder if Bluewater are putting anything out that week..

Anyway I'm reading Elegy tonight, and then the Jock issues after that should be enough les-sploitation right? The chances of me trying out the Crime Bible book or 52 are pretty slims.

I wish I had thought to order the Jock issues when I put in an MCS order last night. :-(

The few preview pages that CBR posted this morning read new reader/Elegy only reader friendly.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:We knew that last week. :roll:

Well, yeah, I was just making sure Blue Streak knew.

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Punchy wrote:

Maybe we should start a thread so that everyone knows.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:53 pm

John Snow wrote:
Maybe we should start a thread so that everyone knows.

If you want, I don't want to start shit.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:53 pm

I think he put that space in BlueStreak's name as a sign of disrespect.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Punchy wrote:

...I knew last week too.

Shame, though. I'd actually enjoy hearing what you thought about this book. If you change your mind, you can always Byrne-steal it. It's only sixteen pages long.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:55 pm

BlueStreak wrote:

...I knew last week too.

Shame, though. I'd actually enjoy hearing what you thought about this book. If you change your mind, you can always Byrne-steal it. It's only sixteen pages long.

Nope, I refuse to read it I'm afraid, I'll be back next week. If I can find a copy of that Hellboy one-shot I'll get one in for last week.

God-Man
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post

Postby God-Man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:06 pm

This was a pretty good read. It mostly acted as a reintroduction to the world of Batwoman, but there's a couple of threads that will probably be picked up in the series (what was in that sarcophagus?) The art was awesome, smartly divided between Williams' Batwoman scenes and Reeder's Kate Kane scenes. I can't wait to see the confrontation between Bruce and Kate.
http://www.jorellrivera.com

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:14 pm

God-Man wrote:This was a pretty good read. It mostly acted as a reintroduction to the world of Batwoman, but there's a couple of threads that will probably be picked up in the series (what was in that sarcophagus?) The art was awesome, smartly divided between Williams' Batwoman scenes and Reeder's Kate Kane scenes. I can't wait to see the confrontation between Bruce and Kate.

Care to tack on a score and make the review official? We'd love to have you.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 185 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Congrats to Bluestreak for taking over the review group, that being said though I sadly am still not able to take part and miss doing so.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:36 pm

byrne steal.

God-Man
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post

Postby God-Man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:15 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Care to tack on a score and make the review official? We'd love to have you.

Fuck it, sure. I'll give it an 8.
http://www.jorellrivera.com

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:35 pm

In honor of BlueStreak's first week I did something I haven't done in months, I went to an honest to goodness funny book shop on a Wednesday. :D

Batwoman #0

I re-read Elegy last night in anticipation of this issue. Of the superhero stories I've read this year it's at or near the top of my list of favorites. Great character development by Greg Rucka that set up Kate Kane as I character I want to continue reading for a long time which is something I wasn't expecting. Honestly, I bought the book for the art. In Elegy JH Williams III displays more skill and diversity in 6 issues than most artists exhibit in a lifetime. Obviously I love Elegy, this isn't Elegy though, this is blend of a continuation and a new beginning.

Can Kate Kane still be Kate Kane without Greg Rucka? From reading this, it's kind of hard to say. The issue is told completely through the perspective of Bruce Wayne, in a mix of captions and excerpts of his research notes, as he investigates Batwoman to determine not only her true identity, but also her worthiness of the mantle she has taken upon herself. As an introduction to the character, Batwoman #0 succeeds even if Kate does always feel at arms length. For existing readers it not only gives you a picture of what Kate has been doing since we last saw her, but presumably also lays hints for the stories ahead.

While any comic with JH Williams III art is bound to be a treat, this issue had the added intrigue of seeing how the art of Amy Reeder (looks like she dropped the Hadley) would be integrated into it. As it turned out, Williams handled the art for the Batwoman sections and Reeder took the Kate Kane portions with the art from each being split on the page starting with Williams on top and gradually transitioning to Reeder being on top in the second half of the issue. It's something of an impossible task to put someone in a position where their art will be compared to that of Williams, but I think Reeder performed admirably. If nothing else the endearing cuteness of the last panel on the library page won me over. Williams for his part continued the same style of layout and design that he previously established on the character's Detective Comics run. On colors, Dave Stewart continues to prove himself to be the greatest colorist in the history of comics.

While this issue doesn't delve deep enough into the character to alleviate any concerns that the loss of Rucka will be debilitating, the artistic collaboration made for a fun and interesting comic book experience.

Story: 8
Art: 9
Overall: 8

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand