Advertisement

Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 375 posts

Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby GHERU » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:13 am

On its own, Batwoman #0 is a very good book. W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams III do a superb job of not only making this introductory issue new reader friendly but also interesting enough that existing fans would be entertained rather than bored. Futhermore, the split level story telling technique showed that these creators have enough respect for their fans and their craft to provide an intersting technique, even in a "trhow away" comic.

The art is nothing short of phenomenal, and is worth the cover price alone.

That being said, I probably won't be buying #1. I have tried Batwoman comics many times, and its not the writing, art, or even the character that I do not enjoy, its the story. The reason #0 was enjoyable was because we saw everything through Batman's eyes and didn't have to hear too much about the Cult of Crime and all that comes with it. For whatever reason, I jsut can't get into that group as her primary antagonist.

For anyone who has read and liked previous Batwoman books, you should enjoy this, and for new readers, if you like #0, try #1 in February and tell me how it is.

Story - 8
Art - 9
Overall 8.5
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:35 pm

thefourthman wrote:mine is no where near as weird as yours, and in the end I attempt to be a team player. WE know that you can't do that, you have proven it time and time again.

The way I see it, I am being a team player by not giving what's sure to be a negative review to a book that will probably skew positive on the whole, and therefore lower it's average.

And what do you mean when you refer to 'time and time again'? If it's the Awards last year, then the blame lies with Nerdygirl.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:44 pm

bkthomson wrote:bought it yesterday will be reading it sometime today! So excited first Review Group entry. :drunk

YAY!!! WELCOME!!!!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:48 pm

BATWOMAN #0 is a very inventive book. I love the way that Williams and Blackman divide the story in two, focusing on Batman's investigation of Batwoman and revealing Batman's biographical notes on Kate Kane simultaneously. I also love the way Williams draws the investigation sequences across the top half of the pages and Reeder draws the Kane backstory on the bottom half of the pages. What a smart way to introduce a character to new readers and still provide fanboys with enough hard-hitting, high-kicking, karate-chopping bang for their buck.

Williams' art is so incredible that it makes this book a worthwhile purchase, even if you don't give a damn about the title character. (I don't.) Amazingly, Reeder's art holds up well beside Williams' illustrations and is never visually jarring. This is quite the achievement because all too often books by multiple artists are notoriously inconsistent (just think of Image United).

BATWOMAN #0, with its visual flair and multilayered narrative, pulls off a lot of interesting creative moves in very few pages. If only more superhero books were this efficient and imaginative.

STORY: 7.25
ART: 9.75
OVERALL: 8.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:42 pm

thefourthman wrote:mine is no where near as weird as yours, and in the end I attempt to be a team player. WE know that you can't do that, you have proven it time and time again.

Stop quoting him, it's like he's already banned.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:46 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:

sorry :oops:

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Jubilee wrote:I'll come back soon, I actually have reviews for Kick Ass, Nemesis etc just cba find the threads. Might pick this up, I need to go comic shop soon.

Just look on the second post for the threads. Looking forward to hearing what you think on that stuff. I actually just picked up Superior #2 yesterday.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:42 pm

I'll have my pick for next week tomorrow. Need to see Midtown's shipping list.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:27 am

guitarsmashley wrote:

'Already'?

I'll never be banned!

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:22 pm

The list of books shipping next week suck....So lets go with Daredevil #512

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:58 pm

Daringd wrote:The list of books shipping next week suck....So lets go with Daredevil #512

WOOHOO!

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:57 pm

I was on the fence about getting this before the T'Challa era starts and I was gonna hop on, but this is enough to get me to buy it. Good choice.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 am

Batwoman #0 serves as an interesting introduction to Batwoman. While it serves to introduce the character of Batwoman to new readers as well as establish the new creative team, it does awfully little else, which is typical for a 16 page comic.

Using the recently returned Bruce Wayne as our narrator, readers are reintroduced to Batwoman. J H Williams nicely sums up her current status quo and supporting players and gives both Bruce and Kate some nice character moments. The heartening thing about the writing is that Williams (and his co-writer) seem to understand the detective in Bruce Wayne. He falls into multiple disguises, spying and testing Kate discretely. The bad thing is that the writers didn't show that they'd be able to follow up on Rucka's superlative job of fleshing out Batwoman as a three-dimensional character. Batwoman #0's story is cute, but it doesn't exactly dissuade doubts that J H Williams will fall into the "Tony Daniel" trap of being unable to both write and draw a Bat book.

However, J H Williams still shows that he's still the master of layouts, even when he's sharing the book with another artist. With his scenes focusing on Batwoman and artist Amy Reeder drawing scenes featuring Kate in her civilian identity, we're given a strong fusion of two unlike artists. Once again, the weakness in this set-up is that Reeder has no opportunity to draw Batwoman in her outfit or show that she's up to the task of at least holding the line when she's on art duties.

Williams and Reeder provide a fun first look at their upcoming series. Does it sway any worries about the book? No. But at the same time, it also doesn't add new doubts about the book either.

Story: 7
Art: 8.5
Overall: 7.75

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:18 am

The Daredevil chapters have been the best thing about Shadowland (apart from an awesome Ghost Rider one-shot), so #512 is certainly a better choice that Shadowland #5.

I would have preferred Heroes For Hire though, because that book is going to be THE BEST COMIC EVER.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:55 am

My shop still hasn't gotten this weeks comics and won't until next week since UPS are a bunch of bitches that don't work on weekends.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand